ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
AZH 6th Annual Anniversary Shindig Jan 16th - 18th 2009
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(12) (1) (0)
User
GTG
beckett
Hnak
paintninaz
outside1
Valet2
Tom Treks
wanderingsoul
Deborah
PageRob
Hikngrl
azhiker96
User
rayhiker
User
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
GTG
PostPosted: 11/21/2008, 4:17 pm    Post subject: AZH 6th Annual Anniversary Shindig Jan 16th - 18th 2009 Reply with quote

Where - Cave Creek Regional Park - Group Campsite
37019 N. Lava Lane
Cave Creek, AZ 85331
Ph: 623-465-0431
Fax: 623-465-9284

You will need to tell the ranger at the gate that you are with the Arizona Hikers Group. They will then hand you a map and tell you how to get to the Group Campsite. From what I understand they will not charge you the regular Entrance Fee if you are camping. I will collect your camping fees when you get to camp. If you are not camping and only staying for the day, then you will need to pay the Entrance Fee at the gate.

http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/cave_creek/Maps.aspx
Map -
http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/cave_creek/pdf/2008%20maps/cave-creek-3d.pdf

Quote:

From central Phoenix, take I-17 north to Carefree Hwy (SR 74). Exit Carefree Hwy. and travel east to 32nd St. (7 miles). Turn north on 32nd St. to the Cave Creek Regional Park entrance.

When - Noon Friday January 16th 2009 to Noon Sunday January 18th 2009

Who - AZH members, friends and family

Cost - $12.00 per unit per night, no exceptions

Quote:

Cave Creek Regional Park offers a campground with 38 individual sites and a group camping area. Each site has a large parking area to accommodate up to a 45' RV and is a "Developed Site," with water and electrical hook-ups, dump station, a picnic table, a barbecue grill, and fire ring. Cave Creek Regional Park provides immaculate restrooms with flush toilets and hot water showers.

We also have a cool hike scheduled Saturday morning at 8:00 AM at Spur Cross Ranch Conservation Area
http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/spur_cross

We are scheduled for the ranger led Elephant Mountain Fortress Hike with a stop at a rock art site and an additional ruin along the way. The cost for this hike is $3.00 per hiker -
Quote:

Elephant Mountain Fortress Hike (difficult) Join us for a 7 mile / 5 hour roundtrip trek into the backcountry to one of the premier archaeological sites on the Conservation Area. Participants need to be in good condition and familiar with what hiking on primitive trails for this distance entails. Participants must bring at least 1 liter of water. We recommend you have a hat, & dress in layers.

44000 N. Spur Cross Road
Cave Creek, AZ 85331
Ph: 480-488-6601
Fax: 480-488-2263

Map -
http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/spur_cross/pdf/2007%20maps/spurcross11x173d.pdf
Quote:

Spur Cross Ranch Conservation Area is located approximately 35 miles north of central Phoenix. Interstate 17, State Route 51, and Loop 101 can all be used to reach the park. From the intersection of Carefree Highway and Cave Creek Road head north on Cave Creek Road about 2.5 miles to Spur Cross Road. Turn north for approximately 4.5 miles to the public parking area. After 3 miles the road turns to all-weather graded. The last 1.5 miles can be confusing; continue north on the graded road past the green house, through the tall gateposts and on past the horse corrals to the signed public parking area on the right.

Menu -

Hikngrl - a big pot of some sort of soup

Deborah - some pumpkin soup and corn bread muffins

outside1 - my old standard (a vat of Chili). Maybe I will spice it up an bring some corn bread

beckett - a veggie tray, pumpkin bread and fire wood

paintninaz - country style pork ribs to throw on the grill

Tom Treks - some cheese and crackers for appetizers and some firewood

CatValet and Valet2 - special hot green salsa & chips, firewood and marinated chicken tenders

Get in here y'all!

GTG

paintninaz

PostPosted: 1/15/2009, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Deborah wrote:
Ha, off topic, but three teachers are pregnant at work too and all due at the same time.
Something was in the water in Tucson too! Crazy

Note to self...stay away from Tucson. Wink

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Hnak

PostPosted: 1/16/2009, 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll bring something for dessert, a pie or something. Also, I might not make it down tonight due to scheduling constraints, hopefully I'll be there in time for the hike tomorrow, although I'm not sure if I should be doing that either... Anyway, see y'all soon!
outside1

PostPosted: 1/16/2009, 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like I will be stuck at work until late tonight, don’t expect me until Saturday AM for the hike
Deborah

PostPosted: 1/16/2009, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Will leave Tucson early tomorrow AM , meet you for the hike.
Traffic will be better in the morning as well as for some reason I am exhusted today. I guess taking care of lots of sick kids.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 1/16/2009, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Put us down for meat/bean dip with tortilla chips.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/17/2009, 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just got back from India & have a cold. I will be staying away and will not be able to come Sad. I plan on not sharing my cold especially since its an offshore version!

I am looking forward to pictures!
rayhiker

PostPosted: 1/17/2009, 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just got back from the Spur Cross hike & posted pictures. Had a great time doing the hike -- we had 10 on the hike. Some impressive Indian ruins and some fabulous scenery. I think Tom said that 6 people camped out there. Thanks everyone for a great time.
beckett

PostPosted: 1/18/2009, 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another wonderful weekend experience. Hike was great...lots of interesting things to see and talk about. Campout was a blast as usual. Food was awesome, weather was perfect and a better group of people to spend time with would be hard to find.

Thanks for putting this all together Todd. Looking forward to seeing your pictures. (But not off the dead horse.) Eek

Linda
(slow but happy!)

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 1/18/2009, 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This was a Wonderful Anniversay, not as large a group as others, but equally as nice and Fun! Nice campfire and alot of good food (as always). Good to see everyone, Nice to meet you Deborah, glad you could join in. And nice to meet friends of Patty & Randy.
The weather was just perfect. Nights not too cold and the day of the hike was warm but not too much. Really nice Hike, the Ranger very nice and informative and we got to walk a part of a new trail they are building. I think he gave a few ideas Wink for a comeback visit. Saw a few petroglyphs and a ruin. Climbed to top of what I think they might have called "little elephant" Mtn, being that we were with Ranger. Nice overlook of the entire area. Very nice hike. Longest hike I've done in quite a while, little slow on the climbs but doable for me. Need to get out more and work on that cardio/climbing. Fortunately my nose was plugged and didn't smell the dead horse. But the Ranger found it, marked location, not sure what they do with that... But he accomplished what he wanted.

And I saw my first Rattlesnake ever... coiled along the side of trail right next to where I was walking !! Shocked Caught me totally off guard, I didn't notice it until it rattled and I didn't know I could jump so high or far laterally Laughing Think I musta jumped 3 feet and kept to the middle of trail all the way back ! Sorry to say I'm uncomfortable around any kind of snakes, give me chills. I kept a going Embarassed but Todd and Tony hung back to watch it cross the trail. I didn't know what kind (I didn't take too long a look, wouldn't have known anyway) but Todd said it was a Diamondback about 2-3 ft long (I think). So a first for me Neutral I know I musta passed others before and not even known they were there Rolling Eyes

A very nice weekend all the same, nice to get out and enjoy it with others.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Deborah

PostPosted: 1/18/2009, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Back at you MIchelle and everyone else I met this weekend.
Great time ! Looking forward to more camping with the group.
Driving up from Tucson really isn't that bad. I like to connect all the peaks and location of landscape as I am driving.
I drove over to Seven Springs to check out the Sears kay ruin.
Not much some walls and interpretive signs ,but worth the drive over.
Next time I want to drive up further and check out the Seven Springs Campground.
Got back to Tucson around 1:30.
The cardinals are beating the eagles. So this will be a happy day for Zonies if the Cardinals get to play in the SuperBowl
Very Happy
oliverr99

PostPosted: 1/18/2009, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Deborah wrote:

The cardinals are beating the eagles. So this will be a happy day for Zonies if the Cardinals get to play in the SuperBowl
Very Happy

And they did!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Deborah

PostPosted: 1/19/2009, 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice picture in the gallery by Ray hiker!. Where's the deadhorse? Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: