ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Building my Rack ....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/20/2008, 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good point Susan. -- Yep the leader should watch for the obvious defects but if microcracks are the concern -- you can't see them. They ususally are in the matrix of the piece and are detected by scanning / X-Ray etc.

Frankly - In retrospect I am surprised at the anchor choice ( we did what was asked of us - the anchor construction was closely supervised by 3 senior instructors) given the amount and nature of stress that particular one was under. The issue of the rope /cordellete going over the edge was brought up and was assured that all was good and it would be fine - which it was not. There was a bunch of webbing available but no suggestion was made to replace the cordellete.

Now think about all the pieces that were in that anchor / rope system. I recall at least 5-6 ( may be more) studly folks repeated falling off that route - now should you retire all components that was part of that set up ? All the pieces held multiple falls with the associated shock loads of thoes people peeling off the wall. The way the falls were all the load was directly coming on the rope and anchor.

Personally, that anchor should have been set at the bolts, the way it should be. Wonder if the set up was because of the class and allowing us the "learning" opportunities or because they wanted pro in rather than the bolts ?

The more we see and experience -- everthing is becoming suspect Crazy
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 11/20/2008, 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My intent wasn't to make you question every piece of climbing equipment. You'll end up driving yourself nuts. I don't know all of the science that goes into making climbing gear, I just know that most climbing gear is designed to repeatedly handle high amounts of stress and shock. Falling once on an anchor is not grounds for replacement. Someone in the AMC can probably explain all of this better than I can. I just climb. Technical stuff doesn't interest me. I know just enough to keep from killing myself on the weekends.

With all of that said, buying used gear is still a bad idea. I understand what you're saying too, but, trust me, don't do it!
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 11/20/2008, 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Matt, like the website Wink
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/20/2008, 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have decided to wait on a major windfall to build me a nice new shiny rack Wink -- It will be a long ways coming....
Till then I hope I can climb on someone else's gear and hope that they take care of it and hope its not "used". Shocked Discussion was excellent ... great points. Very Happy Thanks.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 11/20/2008, 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

RedRoxx44 wrote:
Hey Matt, like the website Wink

Thanks!

desertgirl wrote:
Till then I hope I can climb on someone else's gear and hope that they take care of it and hope its not "used".

Apparently I'm not being taken seriously. That kind of sarcasm hurts! Sad I was only trying to help cause I care!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/20/2008, 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:

desertgirl wrote:
Till then I hope I can climb on someone else's gear and hope that they take care of it and hope its not "used".

Apparently I'm not being taken seriously. That kind of sarcasm hurts! Sad I was only trying to help cause I care!

Matt - No sarcasm intended -- You are being taken seriously. I honestly appreciate your inputs.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 11/20/2008, 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:

Matt - No sarcasm intended -- You are being taken seriously. I honestly appreciate your inputs.

I know! I'm just messing with you. I'm bored.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/20/2008, 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well that Ohio for you......sorry Matt Smile You have any trips planned back here yet?
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 11/20/2008, 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've done a couple of things, little hikes, but nothing exciting. I don't know when that will happen. I'm having a hard time getting excited about anything here.

I caught this sweet pike on Monday. 28 inches of delicious pike fillet. That's the most exciting thing to happen to me in Ohio so far.

Suz

PostPosted: 11/20/2008, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:
I caught this sweet pike on Monday. 28 inches of delicious pike fillet. That's the most exciting thing to happen to me in Ohio so far.....with the exception of getting married.

There I fixed that for you! Wink
Suz

PostPosted: 11/20/2008, 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We've learned a lot about climbing in a very short periord of time.......it has been good for our brains. Learning about the gear is a part of the process, I think. It's good to have a place to ask questions and get a little help from friends.

Now I need to figure out why my collar bone is sticking out on one side??
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/20/2008, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Matt Hoffman wrote:
I caught this sweet pike on Monday. 28 inches of delicious pike fillet. That's the most exciting thing to happen to me in Ohio so far.....with the exception of getting married.

There I fixed that for you! Wink

Good catch Susan! I am sure Matt will appreciate it when he sees how much help you have been to his happy future!

I want to shine!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/20/2008, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Funny, took me a few takes to figure that one out. Kept looking at the fish as if you made it bigger. Now that I've successfully hijacked the thread I will stop posting now Smile

I have to say girls, you are making me jealous of all the fun stuff your climbing. Maybe next week I can make the climbing gym if any of you are going.

-TIM-
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 11/20/2008, 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:

That's the most exciting thing to happen to me in Ohio so far.

Suz wrote:
Matt Hoffman wrote:
That's the most exciting thing to happen to me in Ohio so far.....with the exception of getting married.

There I fixed that for you!

Suz, you are too funny! I caught that myself just as I was posting, but I was too lazy to go back and edit my post. I thought that maybe I could get away with that one. Wink
Suz

PostPosted: 11/21/2008, 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
I have to say girls, you are making me jealous of all the fun stuff your climbing. Maybe next week I can make the climbing gym if any of you are going.
-TIM-

I'm really trying to see if this protruding collar bone/shoulder thing can heal up on it's own so I'm trying to rest it for more than 3 days...drinking my coffee lefthanded. However, that being said....it's not THAT bad and I've got a whole other arm (got a little addicition growing here, I think) and I'm sure I could be easily persuaded to hit the gym again....next week is a tinch booked up for me but perhaps I could make it to the PRG on Wednesday 11/26....otherwise we are looking at Tuesday, Dec. 2nd for our next big group night.

Matt, come on back for a weekend we'll figure out how to add a little adventure to your life. We could always use a good lead climber, I've got a list of places I need to climb now. ---the hand, the crying dinosaur, jacuzzi spires, the pond, hanging gardens............oh, and could you bring your rope, too? and if you've got a wetsuit I've got a canyoneering trip or two I'm interested in doing.....come on!....airfares have got to be dirt cheap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: