ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Backpacker's America's 10 Most Dangerous Hikes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/14/2008, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Backpacker's America's 10 Most Dangerous Hikes Reply to topic Reply with quote

Backpacker Magazine Oct 2008 listed America's 10 Most Dangerous Hikes : Click Here for Article
What do you think ?
    The Maze, UT
    Bright Angel Trail, Grand Canyon, AZ
    Barr Trail, Pikes Peak, CO
    Mt. Washington, NH
    Muir Snowfield, Mt. Rainier, WA
    Huckleberry Mtn., Apgar Range, MT
    Kalalau Trail, Kauai, HI
    Buckskin Gulch, UT
    Abrams Falls, Great Smoky Mtns., TN
    Mist Trail, Half Dome, CA

The Key:
sbkelley

PostPosted: 11/14/2008, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmmm...interesting...

Bright Angel got a pretty high danger rate, which at first surprised me, but I suppose when you consider the high volume of ill-prepared hikers, ease of access, and weather during the time of year when most go, I could buy that.

I've done four of those (Buckskin, Barr Trail, Bright Angel, Muir Snowfield), and only Buckskin struck me as remotely dangerous. Muir could be a navigation nightmare in a snowstorm, though.

Hey, I don't see the Four Peaks Motherlode on that list. It needs a new category.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 11/14/2008, 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll agree on the Mist Trail and Bright Angel as they are the only ones I have hiked. BA for the reasons stated above and the Mist Trail for the absolute slickness of the trail, especially during rain as some of us can atest.

GTG
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/14/2008, 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've only hiked two of these myself....Bright Angel and Mt Washington. Bright Angel for the reasons that Todd and sbkelley stated. I'm sure there are more difficult trails in the GC but aren't included on this list because they aren't as heavily visited by inexperienced hikers/tourist.

Mt Washington may not be the tallest mountain but I can tell you it probably made this list due to the severity of the weather that occurs up there. I did this hike a long time ago and it gains 4300 feet in 4.2 miles, 2500 in the last 2 miles after reaching the headwall of Tuckerman's Ravine. I think Heidi has been up a couple of different ways but it is all steep.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 11/14/2008, 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Interesting...........

I like how they put the predator danger in there. Guess I will not be going to Montana for any solo hikes.

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
Suz

PostPosted: 11/14/2008, 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, sounds better than the bucket list!
PageRob

PostPosted: 11/14/2008, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

From those that I've talked to who've been the The Maze, the top rating there is probably justified. I am surprised about the inclusion of the BA on there. Even with all the "unknown" and extreme weather possibilities, the heavy patrols on the trail, the PSAR folks seem to cut down on the danger factor some by turning back/helping those in trouble. From my time down at the Canyon, it seems like a lot more people die falling off the rim than hiking the BA. Does that make the Rim Trail more dangerous?
desert spirit

PostPosted: 11/15/2008, 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Climbing up/down the Maze Overlook is hard work, but I didn't think it was particularly scary. I thought it was fun!

Angel's Landing in Zion ... now that sucker is scary. But what a view!
threedogz

PostPosted: 11/15/2008, 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have hiked 3 on the list, but Mt. Washington was the scary one with the surprise Microburst that decided to roll in when I was only one mile from the top.

This is the only hike I ever did where I actually thought I was going to die. I even cried.

Crying or Very sad
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/16/2008, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

threedogz wrote:
I have hiked 3 on the list, but Mt. Washington was the scary one with the surprise Microburst that decided to roll in when I was only one mile from the top.

This is the only hike I ever did where I actually thought I was going to die. I even cried.

Crying or Very sad

^5 girl...I did this trek up Tuckerman's twice.....Once in the summer of 1979 with God-awful humidity(but decent weather) and another time with cramp-ons in the winter of 1981 (with what seemed like gale force winds).

That winter hike was the worst hike I'd ever done...hands down. (and it made me want to cry)

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 11/16/2008, 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Seems to me the trail to summit of Half Dome is a lot more dangerous than Bright Angel. Predator factor of 3 on BA? What is that, charging ringtails?
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 11/16/2008, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:
. . .Predator factor of 3 on BA? What is that, charging ringtails?

Those mules can get cantankerous. Do stupid tourists throwing rocks count as predators?
Are you celebrating a birthday?
PageRob

PostPosted: 11/17/2008, 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:
Predator factor of 3 on BA? What is that, charging ringtails?

Falling elk/deer/bighorn? Plague-infested cougars?
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 11/17/2008, 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As usual, I was going to argue about how stupid this list is, but then I thought about the factors that went into it. So, I think it's an "ok" list, but the order is out-of-wack.

I've only done 3 of these, Half Dome, Buckskin, and Bright Angel. I think Bright Angel should be near the bottom as well as Buckskin. Half Dome should be way up there. Those cables are kind of scary and falling there is not an option. The only danger I can see at Buckskin is a flashflood. And Bright Angel... while I understand the scope of this list (really, I do), could they have picked an easier trail. Bright Angel may as well be paved. I suppose Backpacker was trying to do the Park Service a favor, and scare away stupid people, but I think lists like this just attract more.

It's good to see a trail in TN on the list. I'm not too far away from there now that I'm in Ohio. I just added Abrams Falls to my list of things to do! And Mt. Washington would be sweet! I'll have to try to make it over there.

I hiked trail here in Ohio a couple of weeks ago that had lots of !Danger! signs at the trailhead. The trail went back to a "cave" and traversed through the cave like a big "U". It was supposed to be cliffy, but it was really just steep slopes off the left side of the trail. My wife was hesitant because she knows someone who slipped and fell and got really hurt here. It was a joke. I don't think I'll ever find something dangerous in Ohio. Sad

This is that scary cave!
Suz

PostPosted: 11/17/2008, 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What about Angel's Landing at Zion?

I think Bright Angel is on there because it's easy to go down the trail and that's the direction people go first.......way down the trail and then the average tourist just can't haul themselves up and out....maybe?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: