ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Cactus to Clouds.....Finally
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/27/2008, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Cactus to Clouds.....Finally Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well I finally made it back over there to finish this hike.

Scott, Tanya, Tony and I headed out to Palm Springs this weekend for a "little" hike. We got into town Saturday afternoon and found a nice Pasta Place for dinner. Knowing we needed a good night sleep we went back to the hotel and got ready, in bed around 8:30 for a 2:30am wakeup call. High for the day in Palm Springs was 95 and we didn't want to hike in that.

We were up and on the trail at 3:20 and making good progress. The weather was perfect and the night sky looked great over Palm Springs, the sunrise was great on the trail too.

It's a 10 mike hike up to the tram and we made 6 hours even, that included 45 minutes of breaks along the way. We headed up to the ranger station and took another 45 minute break there and ate some lunch.

Then it was back on the trail to the Peak this time, another 11 miles of hiking. Easy trail but I was really drained from the main climb. I needed a break at the saddle and regrouped before making the final push up top. The weather was really perfect the whole day. Scott and I each brought up a tall boy of Coors light, so we enjoyed a celebratory beer up top. After some pictures and relaxing we headed back down.

Made it back to the tram right at 12 hours. Then the worst part came of having to drive back to Phoenix after the hike. Thanks Scott & Tanya for getting us home safe.

We all said we would do the skyline again, but probably not continue onto the Peak. That and do it over a 3 day weekend so we could stay another night in Palm Springs and enjoy some drinks sitting in the hot tub afterwords.

For some reason I was a little tired and didn't take many pictures. But you can check them out Here

Totals for the day: 21 miles, 10,800 feet elevation gain and 12 hours of hiking
-TIM-
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/27/2008, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome Tim! Applause
I was just wondering the other day what you were up to and wondering if you were settling your score with this hike...
paintninaz

PostPosted: 10/27/2008, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yaaay!! I'm glad it went better for you this time around! Glad to see you managed to drag Tony along too (he was still pondering it during the R2R2R).

Good job guys and gal....Tanya, you are one hardcore hiker chick! Agree ...did they at least give you a sip of wine afterwards, or would that have made your head too heavy for the drive back? Chuckle (Just teasing)...Awesome job everybody!!

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/27/2008, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wouldn't say we dragged Tony along. If anyone was dragging it was me. Oh and DON'T ever believe Tanya if She says She's a slow hiker.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 10/27/2008, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Oh and DON'T ever believe Tanya if She says She's a slow hiker.

yeah, I'm thinking she "pokes along the trail" like Diane does Rolling Eyes .....(well, when Diane's not broken Confused )

BTW, nice pictures!!

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 10/27/2008, 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great Job you guys. Wish I could have been there. I probably wouldn't have made it though, I came down with a nasty bug Saturday afternoon. Nice pictures, the old military plane is pretty sweet. Also nice job on bringing some cold ones with you. lol

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 10/28/2008, 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's awesome Tim! Congrats! I regret never having done that hike before I moved away.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/28/2008, 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome you guys!!!! Congratulations! Glad you were able to get up there. I know it was eating at both of you Tim and Tony! Tanya and Scott, you two are impressive hikers! Not sure I would have been able to keep up with you two even "back in the day"!

I want to shine!
sbkelley

PostPosted: 10/28/2008, 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
Quote:
yeah I'm thinking she pokes along the trail like Diane .....(well, when Diane's not broken)

You have no idea how true that is. She set a pretty blistering pace. Halfway up, I noticed we were at 3 hours and realized that 6 hours from Museum to Tram was not unreasonable. No surprise Tanya was in the lead for most of the way. You should hear her try and convince you she's slow - it's pretty funny.

And if I remember right, wasn't her brain heavy, not her head? Or maybe both Very Happy

Congrats Tim - 3rd time was a charm, and awesome hiking with you Tony.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/28/2008, 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:
That's awesome Tim! Congrats! I regret never having done that hike before I moved away.

You could always come back ! Very Happy We liked having you around here ....
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 10/28/2008, 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:

You could always come back ! Very Happy We liked having you around here ....

Now that I'm married, coming back would be really messy. I do intend to visit for a Grand Canyon backpack sometime this winter though.
sbkelley

PostPosted: 10/28/2008, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Trip Report Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cactus to Clouds – Mt. San Jacinto summit from the Palm Springs Art Museum.
Distance: 20 miles
Elevation Gain: 10,800’
Others: Tanya, Tim Davis (davis2001r6), Tony Childers (outside1)

At some point last March, after recovering from a tense, ice-covered, two-day climb of San Jacinto that started at the Museum, I told myself I was going to wait awhile before doing this one again. Yet here we were, seven months later, standing in the Art Museum Parking Lot at 3:20 A.M., ready to go. It’s that addicting of a mountain.

Tony, Tanya, and Tim at the Museum - 3:20 A.M.

The temperature was perfect as we left Palm Springs and headed up the first stretch, mid 60s with a slight wind in the low desert, at an elevation of naerly 500’. Tanya had forgotten her headlamp back in Phoenix, so we found one for $9 at a local store the evening before. It worked perfectly, and we made our way through LED light up through the early stretch to the picnic tables, 800’ above the trailhead. There is no introduction or warm-up to this Skyline Trail: it gets steep literally from the first step out of the parking lot. After the picnic tables, the angle relents somewhat and the trail traverses the massive slope directly above the city of Palm Springs. The city lights spread out far into the distance below us and offered a beautiful view as we made our way higher and higher.

We all chatted and were surprsingly full of energy through this early stretch, dodging the occasional cactus or scorpion. Switching leads early on, we quickly found that Tanya was setting the best pace for the group, and we hummed right up to the foot of the “Shady Slope” which moves you onto the north side of the first immense face instead of the east. The trail steepens here again, but is well-marked. We hauled up this strecth as well and took our first break at about 3500’. The time was only 4:45. We’d hoped to make it out of these lower east-facing desert slopes before sunrise to avoid the blistering heat and it was becoming clear that we would achieve that.

Watching the city lights get further and further away, we crested the first main climb and saw the beaming light of the tram station far above for the first time at about 5:00 A.M. It appeared deceptively close. It was still 5 miles away and 3500’ above.

Tony and Tim at first light

The next stretch, what I’ve dubbed “The Rollers” takes you through higher desert terrain with some gradual ups and occasional downs, every now and then offering spectacular views into the side canyons below. It really allowed us to ease up a bit and catch our breath. It was now light enough to take off the headlamps – we’d gone 6 miles and up 4500’ in the dark, so we were happy with our progress.

Morning light. Mt. San Gorgonio in the distance

At Flat Rock, which is at about 6,000’, the trail steepens in earnest again and stays pretty brutal all the way to Long Valley. The heinous manzanita slope is the first obstacle, and the sun was hitting us from the east now, and we heated up in a hurry.

Manzanita Slope and the desert far below - at ~6500'

The first sign of pine trees near 7,000’ was welcome, but the trail got even steeper, forcing us to slow down a bit. A few trees lay across the trail and offered some obstacles and we saw pinecones the size of a full-sized football!

It took a lot of energy-laden food and a few breathers, but we found ourselves at the foot of Coffman’s Crag and pushing up the final part to the tram when we saw our first fellow hikers of the day. With Tanya in front, we pulled into the Long Valley Ranger Station at 9:19 – 5 hrs and 59 minutes after leaving the Museum. She had the gall to say that she felt “slow” for the second half!

We lazed in front of the Ranger Station for a good 45 minutes, eating loads of food, refilling our depleted water supplies, and relaxing before pondering our next move. Though we had already travelled 10 miles up, and gained nearly 8,000’, we knew we still had a ways to go, which was sobering. While sitting there, a ranger introduced himself to us, saying “I know you guys came up from the bottom. Nobody chills this hard this close to the tram unless they’ve come up from below. How was your hike?” That made us laugh, and Tim filled out our permits, and started slogging up the rest towards San Jacinto’s summit.

The next 2.5 miles to Long Valley were incredibly easy, but we were starting to feel the effects of the hike now. The conversation started dying down, but we clipped past hikers who had taken the tram to Long Valley, of which there were many. It is a popular area and a busy trail. But the gentler terrain and forest were a welcome change from the desert below: it felt like a completely different hike than the Skyline.
Cresting at Wellman’s Divide, now 2.3 miles from the top at 9,800’, the end was in sight.

Upper Slopes. Incredible views in all directions

All of us were having a hard time getting moving again, but weren’t about to quit now. Tanya bolted ahead again, with Tony and I right behind, and Tim just behind us. The trail meandered gently across the final summit of San Jacinto, but we all were happy to finally see the summit hut. It was awesome taking those final steps to the top. 16 miles and 10,500’ later, we were on top! I knew it was a special moment for Tim, as he’d been wanting this one for awhile.

On top! Me, Tanya, Tim, Tony

Talking to the ranger earlier, we learned that the small sign on top was on its final day . Apparently, when a ranger retires at Mt. San Jacinto State Park, they take the sign off the summit and give it to the exiting ranger, while replacing the summit sign with a new one. We took our pictures with the to-be-replaced sign, then Tim and I cracked a Tall Boy of Coors Light which we’d packed up from Palm Springs – a little taste of the Rockies on the West Coast! Oh yeah, that hit the spot! Some major altitude changes had created some severe pressure differences in the beer can, which made for some good explosions, but Tim and I handled the task just fine.

10,000' of air - I-10 heads to LA below past the windmills

There were still 5.5 miles to cover to get back to the tram station, so we started moving before we cramped up. The miles were easy, but all four of us were exhausted by the time we reached Long Valley again. The worst part of the trip: the 150-foot climb up the sidewalk to the tram house! We bought our one-way tickets down, and Tanya convinced a couple nice older ladies to drive us back to our car at the museum. The airy tram ride lasted only a few minutes, and we were back in the desert quickly.

Desert scene of the Skyline Trail

What a day. It’s pretty difficult to find a more challenging hike in the Lower 48 – all told, around 20 miles and cumulative elevation gain was 10,800’. So that’s why it’s considered an Ultra-Prominent Peak.
As we left Palm Springs for Phoenix and home, we couldn’t help but look in the rearview mirror at San Jacinto’s massive bulk. What a spectacular and beautiful mountain. I’ll be back – but I think I’ll do it Tim-style next time: hike the Skyline, stop at the Tram house, and go right for the bar!
Erock

PostPosted: 10/28/2008, 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I grew up in the Imperial Valley and in the shadow of San Jacinto and never knew there was a trail from top to bottom. Someday I just might be crazy enough to hike this (but never crazy enough to do it multiple times)!

Well done! That's quite the distance and altitude gain!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/28/2008, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome write up Scott, felt like I was right there again. Ok maybe not as I actually feel pretty good right now. It was really an awesome hike and I couldn't pick better friends to go it with.

-TIM-
outside1

PostPosted: 10/30/2008, 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great write-up Scott.
Personally I think I would like to try the summit one more time. With SNOW!

I have added a few more photo’s to the gallery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: