ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
This winter - I want to
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/20/2008, 11:01 am    Post subject: This winter - I want to Reply to topic Reply with quote

1. I have never been snowshowing .... and I'd love to. Any one up for setting something up this winter....

What do I need ? Can I just rent ?

2. Snow camping .....

Any takers?
sbkelley

PostPosted: 10/20/2008, 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can definitely rent snowshoes from any number of outdoor shops - I'd recommend finding a shop with MSR Denalis, which most shops I've seen carry. Last winter, the REI in Tempe rented these out for a small fee for a weekend. They work great and they're very lightweight.

Snow camping is fun, whether you build a trench, igloo, or quarry out a tent site (depends on snow conditions and temperatures). I think it'd be fun to organize some kind of snow outing.
jdahling

PostPosted: 10/20/2008, 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: This winter - I want to Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
1. I have never been snowshowing .... and I'd love to. Any one up for setting something up this winter....

2. Snow camping .....

Any takers?

1) Snow Shoeing: I'm Game! I have snowshoes and tested them on a climb to the top of Humphreys!

2 - Snow camping: Hmm - I'm not really provisioned for that... seems like it would be COLD! I say that now, but I generally give in when it comes to fun stuff...

Count me in - lets find a good weekend.

"Life is an adventure ... Made for an adventurer ..."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/20/2008, 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Provided I get rehabed in time I would love to go snow shoeing with you! I have a pair of snow shoes as does Todd. We went last year and had a blast!

Not sure about the snow camping... I know Todd wants to go. I worry about the extreme cold! I am a bit of a weenie! But if there were enough people interested and we could build a big enough fire I would be willing to consider it!

There would have to be plenty of Peppermint Patties involved! Wink

I want to shine!
evenstar

PostPosted: 10/20/2008, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Go someplace where it's warm enough that the girls can still wear where bikinis! Yeah, I'm a DOM, but at 71, I've earned the right!
Whoa!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/20/2008, 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Go someplace where it's warm enough that the girls can still wear where bikinis! Yeah, I'm a DOM, but at 71, I've earned the right!
Whoa!

Hooli, bikinis and snow usually don't mix!!!

I want to shine!
evenstar

PostPosted: 10/20/2008, 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
evenstar wrote:
Whoa!

Hooli, bikinis and snow usually don't mix!!!

Multi Diablo Doh! Agree
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
Hnak

PostPosted: 10/20/2008, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: This winter - I want to Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:

2. Snow camping .....

Any takers?

Sounds like fun to me! Count me in....

Hank
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/20/2008, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm game for all of the above. I have snowshoes as well if someone wanted to borrow some for a day. Mens and Womens for that matter.

I've always wanted to drive the Jeep somewhere were I couldn't get any further and sit down for a weekend with a big white man fire and a case of beer (cooled in the snow of course).

Thought it would be cool to camp in the cabin at Kendrick as well, but may be better off in a tent next to it, also realized they close the access roads in winter so it may be a long approach.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 10/20/2008, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There is plenty of rental places for snowshoes up in Flagstaff, me and Hoffman did it last Feb. when we (tried to) snowshoe up Humphreys. The massive amount of snow that came the night before prevented us from reaching the top but in normal snow conditions it would be a very do-able trip (we also weren't on the trail in the beginning which further set us back from reaching the top, but if you start off on the trail it would be quite easier I'm sure)

Kerouac
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 10/20/2008, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm game. I'd love to try this. Some time in January/February?
oliverr99

PostPosted: 10/20/2008, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would be willing to try it, depending on where. I do not have snowshoes though. Camping in the snow, no offense, but thinking about it makes me cold! Shocked
beckett

PostPosted: 10/20/2008, 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This winter I want to...
hike in the beautiful Arizona weather!!!!

Which is why I moved away from the snow. Very Happy

Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
paintninaz

PostPosted: 10/20/2008, 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd be interested in trying the snowshoeing, and if anyone wants to attempt cross country skiing with me, I'd like to try that sometime too Skier Girl

... shivering but I think I'll skip the snow camping. Freezing

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
evenstar

PostPosted: 10/20/2008, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:

... shivering but I think I'll skip the snow camping. Freezing

Goes to show that all Blondie's ain't totally dumb!

Sorta!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: