ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Escudilla Fall Magic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/7/2008, 2:51 pm    Post subject: Escudilla Fall Magic Reply to topic Reply with quote

A trip to Escudilla Peak about 4 year ago left quite an impression. The fall color there was great -- I was focused on peak bagging so we bagged the peak and headed off down 191 towards Miller peak.....

This year I wanted to head up there to see fall color- but nothing concrete seem to come about as far as pulling together a hike there, so when I got a last minute opportunity to head up there, inspite of a rather bleak weather outlook - I loaded up the dogs, my camera and hit the road....one rainy road it was all the way to Alpine Cabins in Alpine AZ -- cheap last minute rooms saved the need to camp out in the rain.

Early morning was a total wash out -- everything was grey but about 10:00 am the clouds cleared up to brilliant blue skies and sunshine sparkled off all the water droplets still on the trees and grass. I was driving up to Escudilla peak - a spectacular drive-- fresh snow and dense fog that was just lifting - golden glow of aspens peaking through tendrils of clouds. There was the complete stillness of a cold winter's morning.

Escudilla was still socked in clouds when I got there so I decided to wait a bit hoping the weather up here would clear up. A quick walk for a few miles along Escudilla trail provided for some warmth ( I did not have enough warm gear) -- I turned around when the skies seem to lighten up, making it to the truck in time for some brilliant sunshine and clear blue skies over Escudilla.

I spent the next hour or so taking pictures and driving the Terry Flats Loop ....It was magic to see the glittering snow, blazing gold of aspen and brilliant blues of the skies. The crisp nip of cold that wants to make you turn you collar up ...Oh! Winter was here ....

By the time I was done with the loop -- the clouds had closed back up and the weather starting to look ominous. I headed back to Alpine stopping at Lake Hulsey along the way back. I took a quick hike around the lake and was chased back to the vehicle by a hail storm! On the way back I wandered down FR26/FR24 coming up through Hannegen Meadows (FR576) which has quite a bit of fall color and then down the winding 191 with it raining and sleeting most of the way down the mountain ...It was a long hard drive home ....but to see Escudilla in Fall with the snow was priceless!

Pictures : Click Here
Deborah

PostPosted: 10/7/2008, 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow , beautiful pictures! Was this this past year. We were up there the 27 of sept and things were just starting to turn. We tried to camp at KP Cienga but several people had tents that got soaked so didn't stay. I would have slept in my truck camper ,but I am sure it would have been cold. We ended up staying at TiWiWi Lodge a little before Escuidilla Mtn.
This area is sure a special place!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/7/2008, 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh Ambika! How beautiful! I pray I get to see some of this this year in person!

I want to shine!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/7/2008, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

These pictures are from 2 days ago -- Oct 5th 2008!
How was TiWiWi Lodge ?
randy883

PostPosted: 10/7/2008, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ambika, how were the Alpine Cabins? Tal Wi Wi was ok, but nothing great for about 70 bucks for a room with 2 beds. They did have a bar where you could get hamburgers or pizza. But wow, 33 dollars for 3 cheeseburgers and a couple of beers. But at least we got to have a warm room vs a soaked campground at KP.

You caught it just right!!
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 10/7/2008, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Outstanding. Looks like this is the time to be there, that won't last too long.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 10/7/2008, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Those are some really beautiful pictures. I am a little dissapointed there are only 5. Wanted to see more

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 10/7/2008, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very beautiful Ambika. I remember that I did like it there the time I went. But to see changing leaves and snow in same shot is really beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen that before

Glad you had a great weekend, despite rain, hail and some cold.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/7/2008, 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon Dweller wrote:
Those are some really beautiful pictures. I am a little dissapointed there are only 5. Wanted to see more

Oh I wish I had a whole lot more to pick from. I will probably upload a few more but with < 2 hrs of total good light I do not have that many pictures to pick from! I spent some of that 2 hrs or so driving up - hiking and then driving the loop.
sbkelley

PostPosted: 10/7/2008, 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great shots - I had no idea the state has seen its first snow already! Very cool and thanks for posting.
Deborah

PostPosted: 10/8/2008, 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Amazing how things change in one week!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/8/2008, 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

randy883 wrote:
how were the Alpine Cabins?

They were alright -- nothing great but definitely clean. It was a throwback with all the squeaky bed springs! This place is set up for fishermen ( think week long rentals) ...with a kitchen / old stove/ assorted ancient kitchen ware. Its a place to crash at and the price is OK-75$. It is across the street from a grocery store and has Bear Wallow cafe nearby. I stayed in Cabin 1 which right on the road -- road noise was not bad -- I do not think Alpine gets late night traffic anyways.

I did hear elk and what i think were coyotes....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: