ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
AMC Technical Outdoor Climbing Class
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/22/2009, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The audience was waiting for us within 100 yards of the Jeep. The rattlesnake followed by 2 Gila Monsters all within 2 minutes of each other. Yes Rogil lead the climb (she's a character) with Dave on belay atop the first pitch and Robert playing cleanup at the bottom.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 3/22/2009, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lookin' good guys! Man, I haven't been tied into a rope since last Sept. Really soon, I'll be hitting up the Red River Gorge in KY and the New River Gorge in WV. Lots of great routes at those places!

I just got back from a 10 day bouldering trip. My brother and I went to Cooper's Rock State Forest in WV, Rumbling Bald near Asheville, NC, Rocktown in northwest GA, and Horse Pens 40 in northeast AL. We had perfect weather almost the whole time, with temps in the 60's and 70's. I'll post a link to my pics in a day or two.

Babo is going to be sweet! I could use a good adventure climb. I'm jealous! Just be safe up there!
sbkelley

PostPosted: 3/22/2009, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Rogil certainly is a character - there was no lack of entertainment all day. All in all, no complaints about the class at all.

Hiking up to the base of the Hanging Gardens, that wall looked impossible (and still did looking back at it at day's end), but what a difference two weeks and a bunch of practice makes. Onward to Babo! And time get a Phoenix Rock Gym membership....
rayhiker

PostPosted: 10/14/2009, 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I'm signed up for this fall's AMC Technical Outdoor Climbing Class! My ankle has been bad for the past 6 months or so but hopefully it's getting better enough for me to succeed in the class.

Tonight was the first night, and I learned a kaboodle of knots. It was fun to see some AZHikers there too working as volunteers! Suz, Traci, and I forget the other person's name! Said "Hi" to Traci but I think she was surprised that I knew her from AZH! Anyway, thanks to you three for volunteering your time and expertise for our benefit. Looking forward to learning some climbing skills!!
Vashti

PostPosted: 10/14/2009, 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What is the website link for AMC? I am interested in taking a class soon! Thanks!

ESCAPE the CUBE!!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/14/2009, 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.amcaz.org/

More the merrier ....When are you signing up for class ? Smile
Suz

PostPosted: 10/14/2009, 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

rayhiker wrote:
Well, I'm signed up for this fall's AMC Technical Outdoor Climbing Class! My ankle has been bad for the past 6 months or so but hopefully it's getting better enough for me to succeed in the class.

Tonight was the first night, and I learned a kaboodle of knots. It was fun to see some AZHikers there too working as volunteers! Suz, Traci, and I forget the other person's name! Said "Hi" to Traci but I think she was surprised that I knew her from AZH! Anyway, thanks to you three for volunteering your time and expertise for our benefit. Looking forward to learning some climbing skills!!

Oh my heck.....I didn't see you! I was concentrating so hard on NOT being called to demo a KNOT that I didn't really look for other students that I might know. Please say hello next time if I don't see you first.

This is the link to past newsletters. They really contain more information than the website. http://www.amcaz.org/newsletter/amcENL.html
rayhiker

PostPosted: 10/15/2009, 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz, I was going to say hi but didn't get a chance -- my group was the last one working on the ropes. (Hopefully not a bad sign!) See you all tonight! Very Happy
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/16/2009, 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Having a great time in the class! Can't wait to get out there and play Saturday! Learning a lot. Hope I can put it all to good use when I get out there. Ok that Muenter hitch just sucks... can I say that? Well I did! I need to find a way to wrap my mind (and hands) around that thing!

I want to shine!
sbkelley

PostPosted: 10/16/2009, 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok that Muenter hitch just sucks... can I say that?

Absolutely! That thing is horrible to learn. Took me more than a few tries...I suppose it could come in handy some day, but still. Glad you guys are enjoying it.
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 10/16/2009, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OH! OH! OH!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRYkca9xEjc !!!! Check this out! It makes it look incredibly easy!

I want to shine!
Suz

PostPosted: 10/16/2009, 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep, that's a good demo.

Apparently there are numerous ways to make this knot and serious debate over which is the easiest way. We were firmly instructed to keep our instruction in line with your book. Perhaps a little book revision to simply this one important knot would be worthy. Crazy

If you've got it, that's what matters!
Have fun tomorrow----IMHO this is the best day of them all.
FYI--rarely needed climbing shoes on Saturday at the McDowells but perhaps a couple of stations. Sunday--hike in in trailrunners, switch to climbing shoes and climbing shoes OFF when waiting for your turn to climb. We had backed up lines at some climbs. I wish I had taken my tevas with me. It's a long time to keep those climbing shoes on.

Have fun and ENJOY.

If you have any trouble climbing find an instructor with a similar body type and ask them to give you a few pointers. I think Kathy (with the long gray hair) is extra good at smearing. If you learn that technique you can apply it just about any place.
Vashti

PostPosted: 10/16/2009, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
http://www.amcaz.org/

More the merrier ....When are you signing up for class ? Smile

Maybe I can swing it in January! Smile My little one (#2) is not quite a year, so I don't think Hubby would support me being away that long all at one time right now, but very soon! Smile

I take it you have already been through the class? Was it excellent?? Smile

ESCAPE the CUBE!!
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 10/19/2009, 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh my gosh!!!! I can not believe what fun this weekend was!!!!! I also can't believe I am climbing walls with less than half an inch worth of a foot/hand hold to work with!!!! Yay smearing and good sticky shoes! I am in trouble cause I am addicted!

I want to shine!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/19/2009, 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
Oh my gosh!!!! I can not believe what fun this weekend was!!!!! I also can't believe I am climbing walls with less than half an inch worth of a foot/hand hold to work with!!!! Yay smearing and good sticky shoes! I am in trouble cause I am addicted!
Applause
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: