ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Painted Desert Rendezvous - Nov. 8th and 9th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(2) 6 slots left to register. (1) (0)
User
desertgirl
Randal Schulhauser
User
Erock
User
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
PageRob
PostPosted: 9/22/2008, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Painted Desert Rendezvous - Nov. 8th and 9th Reply with quote

Alrighty, its fall so its time to start thinking of the next Painted Desert exploration and easy overnight backpack into the Petrified Forest or nearby environs. "Mountain Lion Mesa" will be a dayhike sortie with probably "accommodations" taking place in the southern wilderness northeast of Agate House. Possible side trip option to Chavez Pass Pueblo for those of your returning to Phoenix, as it is on the way between Holbrook and Strawberry.
Total of 8 folks for overnight. Dayhikers are welcome - they don't affect permit limits.

Whaddaya say?

PageRob

PostPosted: 10/31/2008, 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It isn't named on the topo map, no. My best guess is somewhere between 1 to 1.5 miles round trip to MLM, depending on where we can park. I hope to be able to find out more from my archaeologist friend who tipped me off to it before we get out there.
PageRob

PostPosted: 11/7/2008, 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Alright, just checked the weather for this weekend out at PeFo. Looks like Saturday'll have calm winds with a high of near 60 degrees and an overnight low right around 32. Slight chance of rain after 11am on Sunday with a high in the mid 50's and increasing wind. Sounds like we'll have a good time out there and hopefully the rain'll hold off until we're packed up and back on the road! Looking forward to seeing y'all Saturday morning!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/7/2008, 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hope you all have a great time this weekend! Be safe and would some one please take pictures!!!!!?

I want to shine!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/7/2008, 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Rob -- See ya there -- I am looking forward to some exploring
bzmunky

PostPosted: 11/7/2008, 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi, I can't go. I am fighting a head cold. Have fun. Sad Crying or Very sad
Randal Schulhauser

PostPosted: 11/7/2008, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

See you 9am @ South Entrance Visitor's Center!

I'll be driving a red Ford F-150...
Erock

PostPosted: 11/7/2008, 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What is the distance and extent of time we are going to be hiking for the day hike tomorrow? Just wondering what I should chuck in the day pack.
PageRob

PostPosted: 11/7/2008, 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

bzmunky wrote:
Hi, I can't go. I am fighting a head cold. Have fun. Sad Crying or Very sad

Bummer! Maybe in the spring then.
PageRob

PostPosted: 11/7/2008, 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Erock wrote:
What is the distance and extent of time we are going to be hiking for the day hike tomorrow? Just wondering what I should chuck in the day pack.

Probably no more than 2-4 miles for the dayhike, but we'll probably spend most of the day exploring the area we hike to. - plan on your lunch for sure Wink. I haven't been to this location, but I know where the area is, and depending on where we park it can be between 1-1.5 miles away from the parking area. The mesa itself looks to be about 3 miles N-S by 2 E-W, and how much hiking we do there depends on how much exploring we want to do while we're there.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 11/7/2008, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have fun!!!
PageRob

PostPosted: 11/9/2008, 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who made the 3rd Semi-Annual Painted Desert Rendezvous a success! Had some great finds, great views, and great company. Full trip reports I'm sure will be along soon, along with pictures, but just thought I'd post this up quickly to say thanks, and I'm already looking forward to the spring!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/9/2008, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Had a good time ... great to see the place from off the road -- Thanks Rob for the wonderful guided hike and commentary -- its the context commentary that makes this soooo cool! It rained on the way back ....
Randal Schulhauser

PostPosted: 11/9/2008, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Fantastic time Rob, thanks for pulling this together!

PS. Rob, page 56 of "Tapamveni - Rock Art Galleries of Petrified Forest and Beyond" by McCreery and Malotki indicates;

...a multiroom site atop Mountain Lion Mesa...
PageRob

PostPosted: 11/9/2008, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Doh, should've taken more of a look up there. Oh well, next time right?
PageRob

PostPosted: 11/10/2008, 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Third Semi-annual Painted Painted Desert Rendezvous
What a trip! I joined the group late at the southern Visitor's Center - I had gotten away from Page about 15 minutes late, and took a shortcut through Hopi that added 30 minutes to my drive time. Ugh. But I pulled up into the parking lot and everyone was there - Randal ready to shake my hand, Ambika and Jason gearing up and Eric nearby. Good to see everyone there and not too pissed about my delay. Without further delay it's into the VC to get our permit and then we're on the road to the trailhead. Unloading and reloading gear in the parking area under the wary gaze of passing tourists in rental RVs and Uhauls towing boats, and then we're on our way towards our dayhike destination - Mountain Lion Mesa.

Following some vague directions and slightly better map information, we headed towards MLM via possibly the most convoluted route possible. No matter, the name of the game is exploration. Down caliche slopes, across sandy badlands, past eroding fossil logs and dessicated dung, onward over hills and wash bottoms. Detour at a prominent butte to scout for 'glyphs; success. Eric's first glyphs, and they're not half-bad either - snake, lizards, and a woman on a nicely varnished south-facing slope. A little bit of a scramble to get up to them, but that's the Painted Desert for you. Scrounging around on top yields more clues about the ancients; scraper, more 'glyphs, and a commanding view.

Back down the steepest possible route. No broken ankles/tibiae/fibulae/femora. I'll call that good enough. Back to the wash bottom, back to the trek. Past the Gateway to Mordor, and up yet another nameless caliche draw onto the sandy mesa. Randal spots a "fossilized" mushroom. Mushrooms? Out here? Soon others are located - apparently not as uncommon as I thought. We cross a drainage basin where all different colors of pebbles have collected, the water leaching through the sand, leaving the rocks it carried behind. No two alike, save in size. Almost uniformly the size of your thumbnail.

The sandy mesa top stretches on forever until we reach the End of the World, sandstone caprock giving way to thin air. Another maze of dry stream courses, and in the distance a low boulder-studded ridge. "My gut tells me that's the place," I announce, pointing to the line of rock across the basin. "And what does your head say?" Randall asks. I shrug and reply, "I can only say that it looks similar to pictures I've seen. But my gut says this is the place."

Indeed it is. The low outcropping is covered with rock art, and the southern edge is also speckled with potsherds. The designs increase in numbers and complexity as we continue along the escarpment, each causing a cry of excitement from our party members. "Wow! Look at that!" "Wild!" "Intense!" The walkabout reaches a peak at the Starvation Man boulder. Overseen by the Megaface perched on the cliff, the room-sized boulder at the base of the cliff is entirely covered with all kinds of 'glyphs, from abstract lines to detailed figures like the skeletal Ogre Kachina, Rabbit Kokopelli, and the Hand Stick. Amazing designs and so much packed into one small space. Lots of time spent poking around this area, especially as the light gets "nice" as the afternoon progresses. Then its back along the opposite face of the mesa, spotting a mountain lion 'glyph. Very appropriate. Then its back down to the vehicles by a different route, intersecting the road just before our vehicles. Drinks and snacks, and we bid adieu to Randal and Eric. Ambika, Jason, and myself make a quick bathroom break at the Visitor's Center, and we're back on the trail, this time with our overnight gear on our backs, just as the sun begins setting. More of the same up-and-down from the morning, except this time with decreasing light. Down around the point, skirting mesas, buttes, and arroyos alike, we arrive in the idylic basin that the 2nd SAPDR first located last fall. With light from the 3/4 moon we set up camp and sat down to dinner; lasagna all around. The temperature began to drop rapidly, and not long after dinner is finished we retire to our tents under a cloudless, starry sky.

We wake to a cloudy sky with building winds. From a nearby pass I can see clouds to the southwest moving in rapidly, some trailing rain. And the Chinle is no fun to hike in if it's raining. After a brief breakfast we pack up our gear. The plan - head to Pottery Hill, do a little scouting, and loop back to the road.

The drainage on the side of Pottery Hill whets whistles, sherds of corrugated, black-on-white, black-on-red, and even polychromes laying about. And the size and frequency increases the closer we get to the hill. Huge sherds, larger than my palm, bits of mano. Then we come to crowning piece - Mike's Ladle, the ladle that Mike found the previous year is still there, still in the same spot.

We take the hillside up and poke around the other side of Pottery Hill - more sherds, more flakes, more manos, more 'glyphs. Amazing. We head along the side of the mesa and drop into another drainage. More 'glyphs, including a life-sized man, possibly relieving himself. Unique. Then it's back to the road, then Holbrook for lunch at the excellent Maestra's. Nix the Chavez Pass Pueblo plan for today, and we go our separate ways. I'm already looking forward to the spring and the 4th Semi-Annual Painted Desert Rendezvous!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: