ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Painted Desert Rendezvous - Nov. 8th and 9th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(2) 6 slots left to register. (1) (0)
User
desertgirl
Randal Schulhauser
User
Erock
User
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
PageRob
PostPosted: 9/22/2008, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Painted Desert Rendezvous - Nov. 8th and 9th Reply with quote

Alrighty, its fall so its time to start thinking of the next Painted Desert exploration and easy overnight backpack into the Petrified Forest or nearby environs. "Mountain Lion Mesa" will be a dayhike sortie with probably "accommodations" taking place in the southern wilderness northeast of Agate House. Possible side trip option to Chavez Pass Pueblo for those of your returning to Phoenix, as it is on the way between Holbrook and Strawberry.
Total of 8 folks for overnight. Dayhikers are welcome - they don't affect permit limits.

Whaddaya say?

Randal Schulhauser

PostPosted: 10/25/2008, 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Rob;

Have my business travel schedule booked and can now commit to the Saturday over-nighter. Can you post time and place to rendezvous, I presume Saturday 11/8 morning? For anyone else interested and wanting to hitch a ride from the Phoenix area, my F-150 can accomodate at least 2 more riders with gear... Mr. Green

RANDAL
PageRob

PostPosted: 10/25/2008, 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Southern visitor center will be the rendezvous point. Not sure when y'all want to have to get up down there in the valley, but I was thinking maybe 9-ish? That means leaving Page (or PHX) around 7. I think it is about the same drive time for valley dwellers and myself. How does that work for everyone?
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/25/2008, 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Rob, my plans may have changed and now I think I might be able to go. So I put my name on the "maybe" list. So if there is still room at the last minute and I can go, I will change that and send you a PM.

So when you say "Southern Visitor Center" where is that? I am thinking off of Hwy 180 south of Holbrook, there is an entrance to Petrified Forest there, in the Rainbow Forest area? But your trip title says Painted Desert, which is mostly north of the freeway. I suppose I should read this whole thread, too, get more info.

I somehow believe the drive time from Phx. is more than 2 hours.
PageRob

PostPosted: 10/25/2008, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You're right - I can't do math. It's about 3-3 1/2 hours. Don't know what I was thinking.

Yes, the Rainbow Forest visitor center is the one I am talking about. The trailhead for the Crystal Forest Wilderness is just a few miles up the park road from there. Mountain Lion Mesa is a bit further north.

It'd be totally awesome if you would be able to come along as well! Let me know.

So far we've got it looks like 5 for the overnight counting me, with possible two more (including you). So we're still looking good on the permit numbers. And remember that dayhikers don't affect anything on the permit.

Looks like things are starting to come together.
bzmunky

PostPosted: 10/27/2008, 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a newbie in this group. I would like to join you for the Petrified Forest because it is one of the items on my ...bucket list. Very Happy

Are we carpooling? Where to meet if we car pool? What time do you plan to leave Phoenix?
Are you really back packing or just camping?

If I want to ...camp in the motel, where is the closest town I can look for motel?

I am in Phoenix, so I plan to leave about 4:30 Am in order to meet at 9. If anyone in PHX would like to car pool, please contact me and let me know if you would like to drive, or taking turn driving with me, coming back in the same day or staying over night there (somewhere)...

Please contact me direct if you want, it is easier for me that way. I am looking forward to hear from you.

Have a great day.

bzMunky
Smile
PageRob

PostPosted: 10/27/2008, 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

bzmunky wrote:

Are we carpooling? Where to meet if we car pool? What time do you plan to leave Phoenix?

That's between you and the other Phonecians.

Quote:
Are you really back packing or just camping?

Backcountry backpacking is the only type of camping allowed in the park.

Quote:
If I want to ...camp in the motel, where is the closest town I can look for motel?

Holbrook.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/28/2008, 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, Rob, looks like I'm going to Yuma come hell or high water, so I took my name off the list.

As my mother used to say, "You can't do everything!"

Regretfully,
Elizabeth
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/28/2008, 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

PS, Some of you motelers might enjoy staying at the Wigwam Motel on Route 66 in Holbrook. That's the place that has the cottages shaped like Indian tipis! Very kitschy and quaint!
PageRob

PostPosted: 10/28/2008, 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry to hear abut that, Elizabeth. Maybe next time. Yuma should be nice though!
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 10/28/2008, 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
PS, Some of you motelers might enjoy staying at the Wigwam Motel on Route 66 in Holbrook. That's the place that has the cottages shaped like Indian tipis! Very kitschy and quaint!

Or.... you might not enjoy it. Believe me, the kitschy-ness and quaintness goes away real fast once you're inside the room. A really crappy room I might add. Liz and I stayed there once and we wished we had camped instead.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/28/2008, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, I have to admit, I have never stayed there, so y'all had best listen to Matt!! I had seen an article in AZ Hwys about it one time, and of course, I pass the silly things every time I drive from Eagar to Flag. They have 50's cars parked all over the parking lot, too. Cute!

Yeah, sorry Rob, I would have liked to make the Painted Desert trip. It had looked for a week or so that our Yuma plans might have to be canceled, but it looks as though we can do it after all.
jdahling

PostPosted: 10/29/2008, 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Drat - looks like this is not in the cards for me in 2008... I'll have to keep it on my list.

"Life is an adventure ... Made for an adventurer ..."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/30/2008, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Rob --

Any idea what we will be doing -- I was looking at my TOPO and was wondering how far you anticipate wandering ?

how difficult is the terrain -- I am trying to figureout how much camera I want to carry.
PageRob

PostPosted: 10/31/2008, 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Hey Rob --

Any idea what we will be doing -- I was looking at my TOPO and was wondering how far you anticipate wandering ?

how difficult is the terrain -- I am trying to figure out how much camera I want to carry.

The big unknown is the dayhike to Mountain Lion Mesa - having not done that portion, and only having a general location I can only guess. On our last outing there we covered a grand total of maybe 5 miles in two days, most of it after dropping our gear in a base camp. The terrain can be steep and the caliche is like ball bearings under your feet, but Matt brought along his big camera last year and it worked fine the whole time, didn't seem to be much of a burden, and it didn't get dropped/smashed/sandblasted, so that's my input, for what it's worth.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/31/2008, 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is Mountain Lion Mesa on the Topo map ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: