ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Peralta Trail Hike 11-16-03
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/11/2003, 10:17 pm    Post subject: Peralta Trail Hike 11-16-03 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Doing a Peralta Trail Hike on Sunday 11-16-03 and meeting in AJ somewhere around 8 AM. There's already a few people definitely going and everyone is welcome.

I know it's a late start but we gotta give the West Valley people a break from those 5 AM wake ups to hike the Supes, not to mention the hour drive.

If interested just drop a message here and we'll confirm meeting place by Friday.

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 11/12/2003, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I may be interested, how far down peralta are you planning on going and/or is anyone else interested in doing the cave trail on the return route?
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 11/12/2003, 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Right now I'm a bit under the weather but hopefully I'll be feeling better by Sunday. I hope to see you there! I'll go as far as this "old" body takes me! yeah yeah, start with the comments, I can take it! Wink

Sheri Cool
marc labelle

PostPosted: 11/12/2003, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Trish, I took your advice and joined up here as well. I would love to join in, but as I said before, I am slave to the overtime gods this sat. and sun. Thank goodness for fridays off or I would never get to hike.

I look forward to joining you again on a hike. I hope you enjoy this weekend's hike.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/12/2003, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Depending on how I feel Sun morning (going to a wedding reception Sat night), I'm a definite maybe.

You may want to consider doing Cave Trail on the way back down. It's a pretty neat trail. Looks like Matt is up for it. Make sure someone goes who has done it before though. Trail finding is a tad confusing up there. It's basically downhill the whole way to the trailhead, so I'm sure you all would enjoy it.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/12/2003, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt gilbert wrote:
I may be interested, how far down peralta are you planning on going and/or is anyone else interested in doing the cave trail on the return route?

Matt,

This is my first trip doing Peralta so I wanted to hike as far past Freemont Saddle as I could. Doing Cave Trail would be great on the return. I'm assuming you've done this "trail" before (I know there's really no trail!) so it'd be wonderful to have you with us to lead the way. What are we talking about in total miles here?

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/12/2003, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's about 5 miles r.t. either way you go up, and come down. It all depends on how much exploring past Freemont saddle you plan on doing.

Who all is planning on going so far?
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/12/2003, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oh Trish! I love you!!!!! I can't go on the hike but I love you all the same!!!!! I will be in Tucson this weekend so can't go but the fact that someone recognized the fact that us west valley peole have to drive forever to get to you guys over in the east valley before we even get started on the ride to the trail head is SO wonderful!!!!! Thank you! Nuff said! Wink Very Happy

I want to shine!
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 11/12/2003, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have never been on the cave trail but I'm confident enough of my route finding ability to make it back to the TH. If no one else felt confident enough to to it I would probably refrain. If we go too far past the saddle I might be inclined to just stay on the trail before. If we go past the saddle theres no point in not going up the needle a little ways, its off-trail as well, but I've done it before, and its well worth the extra effort. Really theres enough to see from the saddle (or there-abouts) but I'm game for just about anything.
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 11/12/2003, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt, what is the estimate on distance? Time? Difficulty?
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 11/12/2003, 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If I can make this one, I'm interested. I've done the Cave Trail (in the opposite direction), so I could help with the route finding. it's really not that difficult to follow. If you've got the time, you'll want to head out to the Weaver's Needle Overlook before you hit the Cave trail. It's well worth the effort!
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 11/12/2003, 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The distance is about 5 mi. maybe 6 if you include the overlook trail (but well worth it). I couldn't say what the difficulty of it is except that HAZ rates it as a 3.5 on a scale of 5. I've done other trips rated similarly and found them to be well inside the realm of do-ability.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 11/13/2003, 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I won't be able to make it (I don't hike on Sundays) - but I'm with Mike, the trail really isn't all that difficult as there are cairns every 5 or 6 feet of the way down the cave trail. The Peralta trail really isn't difficult at all as far as trails go. Perhaps longer than Squaw Peak, but not any more difficult. The walk out to the Weaver's Needle overlook from the Freemont sadle is a nice little walk too without difficulty.

I'll be taking a buddy who just came to AZ a few months ago on that very hike on Saturday morning.

Enjoy the hike - wish you were doing it on Saturday so I could go with you.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/13/2003, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

marc labelle wrote:
Hey Trish, I took your advice and joined up here as well.

WooHoo Marc........it's about dang time! Glad to see you could join us and you'll find a great bunch of people on here on AZH. Wish you could join us on Sunday.

OK, as for the hike on Sunday (and I'm speaking for Sheri here too), We'd love to do the whole enchilada. Hike out to the needle overlook and then back on the cave trail. Since this area is all new to us, we won't do the cave trail back unless one of you guys (Matt, Mike or Tom) are with us. We have 100% complete trust in your route finding abilities.

If none of you can make it, then we'll probably just do and out 'n' back

Definites for this hike are Sheri & myself

Definite "maybe's" are Matt, Mike, Tom & Tracy.

If everyone could get back to me by tomorrow night, I'd appreciate it....then I will send y'all directions & time to the meeting place and all that good stuff.

sherileeaz

PostPosted: 11/13/2003, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:
marc labelle wrote:
Hey Trish, I took your advice and joined up here as well.

WooHoo Marc........it's about dang time! Glad to see you could join us and you'll find a great bunch of people on here on AZH. Wish you could join us on Sunday.

OK, as for the hike on Sunday (and I'm speaking for Sheri here too), We'd love to do the whole enchilada. Hike out to the needle overlook and then back on the cave trail. Since this area is all new to us, we won't do the cave trail back unless one of you guys (Matt, Mike or Tom) are with us. We have 100% complete trust in your route finding abilities.

If none of you can make it, then we'll probably just do and out 'n' back

Definites for this hike are Sheri & myself

Definite "maybe's" are Matt, Mike, Tom & Tracy.

If everyone could get back to me by tomorrow night, I'd appreciate it....then I will send y'all directions & time to the meeting place and all that good stuff.

PS: Don't forget our alien friend JIM, he showed an interest!!! I have complete trust in his abilities too.

Sheri
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: