ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Chrome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 9/4/2008, 10:17 am    Post subject: Chrome Reply to topic Reply with quote

Google released a browser a couple of days ago called "Chrome". I won't go into the features that differentiate it from all other browsers 'cause they're under the hood, but suffice it to say they are many and varied. One item though of particular note is that it was built from the ground up to isolate the browser from the rest of your system. Malware is isolated to a seperate "sandbox" for each tab. If a piece of code running in a tab cuases it to crash, only that tab is affected. The only parts of the browser that are still vulnerable for the rest of your system are the plug-ins (flash, etc), which Google has no direct control over. They are encouraging the plug-in vendors to build them to Chrome's specifications (APIs).

After trying it for a couple of days, I'm VERY impressed! I normally use Firefox 3 which is by far the fastest browser on the market, but Chrome has so many nice features that it could become my 1st-choice browser when the Google guys work out some more issues. There are issues that have come to light, but far fewer than you'd expect from a first 'beta' release of such a high-profile piece of software.

Even better, Chrome is completely "Open-Source", which means that other browser vendors can borrow whatever they like from Chrome, add things, solve problems, etc.

Will it become the most popular browser out there? Only time will tell, but it's great to have 2 companies, Mozilla and Google, innovating so rapidly when it comes to a tool that has become such a huge part of many of our lives.

Has anyone else tried it? What do you think about your experience with Chrome?

You can download it from here.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 9/4/2008, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I downloaded it last night, but didn't really have time to give it a good test run. It seems to be pretty fast. New tabs load faster than any other browser I use. One thing I didn't like, though... I tried out some of the sites I build and things were out of place. These sites are built to look correct in IE, Moz, Firefox, Safari, etc. Maybe Google will fix the issues and make it adhere more closely to css standards. If not, and if Chrome becomes very popular, it will mean having to find tweaks to fix the display problems. Given the newness of Chrome, I doubt there's a lot of info out there yet.
cakewalk

PostPosted: 9/4/2008, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Read the fine print when you install it. Chrome will track you and eventually sent targeted ads into the browser for you.

"Some of the services are supported by advertising revenue and may display advertisements and promotions. These advertisements may be targeted to the content of information stored on the services, queries made through the services or other information.

The manner, mode and extent of advertising by Google on the services are subject to change without specific notice to you."

It's not the ads, I'm sure they can blocked, its the tracking neccessary to support targeted ads.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/4/2008, 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As long as they send me gear deals Smile
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 9/4/2008, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks interesting, but I'd wait for a newer release first. It seems that there are already a couple of vulnerabilities that need to be looked at.

Just an FYI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: