ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hiking with children

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
phxprincess25

PostPosted: 8/5/2008, 10:13 am    Post subject: Hiking with children Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to the hiking community. I moved here a few years ago and have a 2 year old. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to some hikes that are compatible for 2 year olds. He loves being outside and I would love to introduce him to hiking as I used to before I got pregnant with him. I would appreciate any and all information you have. Thanks and here's to happy hiking! Very Happy
Daryl

PostPosted: 8/5/2008, 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've taken kids on west fork before and they loved it.

PostPosted: 8/14/2008, 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

phxprincess25:

Most 2 year olds aren't motivated to hike long distances... or drive long distances to get to a good hike. The best thing I have found for this age group is to get a backpack kid carrier. The kid carrier is a great compromise... you get to cover some country, and the kids love to ride in it (and usually fall asleep in it), and when you stop to rest, they can get out and play in the dirt, and dink around looking at things, or chase grasshoppers. They are not very goal oriented, so I would avoid the Rim to Rim Grand Canyon hikes Very Happy . Little kids love to explore and learn about thier new world... so I have taken the less than 5 year olds to, for example.. the Bonito Campground near the Sunset Crater visitor center, and let them hike off trail, and let them go where ever they want to go and explore. They are quite fancinated by discovering new things at that age... elk droppings, rocks, leaves, bugs, etc... take along a bug container. You are thier mentor, and it is their age of discovery, so keep them off of the trails some... trails are the interstates of the wilderness, and are quite boring. For a more remote experience, camp in the forest a mile or so off your access point, and let them explore from this camp without the confinement and conformity of trails. Slow down to thier pace, and enjoy them and what they will teach you, they are 2 years old only once.

windy
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 8/14/2008, 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The poet speaks.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 8/14/2008, 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

there are dozens of hikes that work for kids. A two year old should have no trouble at Canyon Creek, Aravaipa, West Fork, or any other handful of riparian (and I suggest this because there are numerous interests... frogs, bugs, butterflies, birds, and water) areas close to Phx.
Our firstborn's hike was into Barbershop canyon while using a Moby Wrap and I carried the pack.
His second backpack is going to be Aravaipa from the west end and we are also bringing the little sister.

I suggest looking at HAZ (hikearizona.com-see the menu bar labeled "navigation" then under "perks", click on "novice hikes"- that is a good start.) or purchasing a book about hiking with children, as there are several either based on the subject or including additional commentary. Here's one for ya: short hikes
and even not specific to AZ but full of tips: outdoor tips

what i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: