ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
August GHOTM- 6th Annual West Fork Wade Aug 22-24th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(6) 19 slots left to register. (1) 18 slots left to register. (2) 15 slots left to register.
User
Davis2001R6
GTG
Hnak
Tom Treks
paintninaz
jdahling
User
sbkelley
User
wanderingsoul
Hikngrl
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Davis2001R6
PostPosted: 8/1/2008, 4:48 pm    Post subject: August GHOTM- 6th Annual West Fork Wade Aug 22-24th Reply with quote

Saturday August 23rd will be the 6th Annual West Fork Wade.
Here are some links to the past threads about the hike: 2007 Hike , 2006 Hike

Most of you know by now that this is not your ordinary 14 mile hike. There is water, creeks, wet slippery boulder hopping, mud and some swimming involved on this one. Plan on hiking from 6 to 12+ hours on this one. If you haven't done a 14 mile hike before don't choose this as your first. If your unsure of your abilities I would recommend doing your own hike from the Call of the Canyon TH, it's about 2-3 miles to get down to the creek and you can go up creek as long and you want and then turn around and head back.

There is a pretty long car shuttle involved in this one as it's a one way hike. In previous years we were lucky enough to have some wonderfull people volunteer to drop people off, then hang out hours later and go pick them back up and the other side and drive back to the campsite from there. Well that plan backfired last year when there weren't enough shuttle drivers and some people couldn't do the hike and had to play shuttle driver. I don't want that to happen this year, nor do I want to rely on someone to drive for us. There is a pretty simple fix, just have groups start at opposite ends and swap keys in the middle, then drive each others cars back around to camp. So thats the plan we'll try for this year.

Campsite: Just North of I40 and exit 190. Directions: From Flagstaff, take I-40 W west about 5 miles to exit 190, A-1 Mountain Road. Go right at the stop sign onto FR 506. You'll pass by a to-be-built subdivision on the left. From where the road turns to dirt at a cattle guard (about 1/4 mile from the interstate), go 0.9 miles to a turnoff for the camping area on the left. The road is fine for low-clearance vehicles.

Directions to Call o' the Canyon - Take 89A south 17.5 miles south from Flagstaff or north 9.5 miles from Sedona to about halfway between milepost 385 and 384. Located on West side of 89A.

Directions to hike drop off - Take I-40 to exit 191 (Bus 40). Take a right and head East to Woody Mountain road (FR 231). Take that South about 15 miles to the bridge spanning Oak Creek. There is room to park a few vehicles if necessary. Mainly a gravel road, and low-clearance okay.

What to bring?: Pack light and waterproof everything the best you can. It may be wet in a few spots, and will definitely be a full day, so pack accordingly.

I plan on camping both Friday and Saturday nights on this one, with the hike being on Saturday.

Lets plan on having a potluck Saturday night and let Friday night be on our own. If you plan on camping Saturday night let me know what you want to bring to the potluck and I will keep this post updated.

Saturday Night Potluck:

Tim- Grilled Shrimp Appetizer and a fruit salad-- Plates, Forks, Spoons, Knifes as well
Paintninaz- Chili, Cornbread and some bowls and world famous chips and salsa!!
Jdahling- Brats / Mets, buns and condiments
Hnak- pie for dessert.... or an appetizer
Outside1- rice side dish and Muffins for Breakfast Saturday or Sunday
Wanderingsoul- some corn on cob.

Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/24/2008, 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The hike went well, we changed it to an out and back from Call of the Canyon side. We went in about 6 miles and found a nice spot to have lunch, got to do a swim or two as well. Lots of water on the first half. Michelle joined us back at camp for a great dinner and happy hours. Mosquito's were a big PITA at camp though. Great to see everyone again.

-Tim-
paintninaz

PostPosted: 8/24/2008, 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, the mosquitos were the only downside to an otherwise fun weekend. Confused

Not exactly the typical "epic" annual West Fork Wade with only 6 of us hiking, hence the decision to modify it to an out and back, but it was interesting to see how different the canyon looks hiking it from the bottom up...and fun not to have to be in a such a hurry while doing it since the threat of losing daylight wasn't an issue. The weather was perfect, probably the nicest we've ever had for this hike...relatively warm morning, blue skies, nice temps, the water was chilly but not freezing. Dinner and campfire conversations were enjoyable as ever (although we're all still baffled by what the heck "Mets" are, and what Michelle needs those 2x6's for Shocked )...fun weekend! Agree

And I'm home in time to do yard work. yippee! Rolling Eyes

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 8/24/2008, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Although only a handful showed for this one, it was a good time as usual.

Really enjoyed going in from the bottom this year (after getting past the sightseers). I say we made it to the halfway point before turning around, but it was hard to tell exactly.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 8/24/2008, 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Was a nice time for me too! Even if I wasn't able to hike, but only spend the night camping. It was a beautiful nite to sit out. Not cold just perfect to sit out under the trees and open air (and take a break). Nice to see all again. Food was great and I don't know what Mets are either, I think Jeannine just made that up, maybe. Don't think we'll ever have a shortage of food Wink

Sounds like you all enjoyed the hike anyway, even if it was shortened. Jeannine was able to get in one wader, right? Did seem to be a perfect day for it.

I think Tom sent the mosquitos my way, he said he seems to attract them Ha! right Tom, I didn't see you scratching this morning!! I'm still scratching, Sarna here I come. Don't know what is in my body chemistry they like? Need to try the B vitamin thing faithfully to see if it actually works, must have worked for Tom last night. But mosquitos will probably be gone soon.

2 x 6's??? what 2 x 6's?? Oh yeah those. I'm still thinking. Probably will use them for something and then figure out what I really wanted them for and then not have them for what I wanted. Maybe I just have a wood fetish Laughing Tim I will let you know if I ever remember, sometimes the brain picks up on something and the rest of the thought comes later. I must have something in my head, when I saw them I wanted a couple of them right off, just don't remember why

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/24/2008, 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My pics are up, a few came out ok. I gave everyone permissions if you want to add an album.

West Fork Album
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 8/24/2008, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice pictures there Tim. Looks like a good time. I remember some of those spots. It is sooo pretty in there. Looks like some Big Trees are downed too. Waiting to see more Smile

sbkelley

PostPosted: 8/24/2008, 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Indeed, a great way to spend a Saturday and a really fun group. It was awesome getting those first swims in - even if it was a little chilly...and there was a snake in the water... Shocked

Can't wait for the Chiricahuas.
jdahling

PostPosted: 8/25/2008, 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dang - you guys are quick!

Just to add my .02 into this chain - it was a great hike, and I thoroughly enjoyed the swimmers. In fact, I wish I would have taken the plunge earlier in the hike! Smile

Between the new faces (nice to meet you Scott), the good food (Yes, Mets DO exist, I'll find them) and the stories (guess who has the nickname Sassy!), and of course the hiking - it was a great way to relax.

Looking forward to the "cherry cows" in September! Already planning the food & beer that I need to bring!

Until then...

"Life is an adventure ... Made for an adventurer ..."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
paintninaz

PostPosted: 8/25/2008, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've got my pictures up! Mr. Green

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Suz

PostPosted: 8/26/2008, 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The pictures are great! It's such a beautiful area. I really enjoyed looking at them, thanks for sharing.

**Having to submit posts 10-12 times before they finally cycle through the invalid session message. Often times I don't have the time to keep resubmitting so I just give up. Probably a MAC thing Wink
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 8/26/2008, 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
The pictures are great! It's such a beautiful area. I really enjoyed looking at them, thanks for sharing.

**Having to submit posts 10-12 times before they finally cycle through the invalid session message. Often times I don't have the time to keep resubmitting so I just give up. Probably a MAC thing Wink

Is anyone else having these issues? I haven't seen this in a while. Is this happening to you all the time? The server is still backing up at this time so that may be the issue.
GTG
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 8/26/2008, 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh you guys! It looks like it was a good trip! I missed being there with you all! Oh this whole non hiking life is gonna kill me! Just keep posting the pictures so I can stay inspired! After surgery I will hopefully at least make it to camp from time to time....

I want to shine!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 8/26/2008, 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Surgery Yikes -- When ?
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 8/26/2008, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Surgery Yikes -- When ?

dono yet....

I want to shine!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 8/26/2008, 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well Diane, if the surgery is for the best, do it so it doesn't interfer with hiking later. You're just taking a sabatical. I'm sure it will go well for you and all things will be back in order. Keep us posted on your progress. And we will see you at some events I'm sure, even if just to sit with your foot up (temporarily).

Oh did I mention Jeannine was such a character this weekend. Funny gal there. Yeah that "little angel" angel pose, you can see tell by her eyes, uh huh, yea thats it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: