ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
UPDATED Chiricahua Weekend Rescheduled to Sept 12-14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(12) (2)
User
Davis2001R6
desertgirl
Shawn
sbkelley
fan
jdahling
GTG
randy883
JanM
Tom Treks
paintninaz
Tommy
User
windymesa
beckett
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Shawn
PostPosted: 7/28/2008, 9:11 pm    Post subject: UPDATED Chiricahua Weekend Rescheduled to Sept 12-14 Reply with quote

UPDATE:
It appears we have a good group of hardy souls willing to make the trip, so shall we plan a potluck (or not)?

Friday Supper: With everyone arriving at different times, this can be on your own.

Saturday Breakfast:???

Saturday Supper
Hotdogs and buns, pot o' beans. Shawn
Veggie munchies, hummus and dip for the evening. Ambika
Pork roast and cooked veggie side(s), beer (assumed for Sat.) Tom
Chips & beer for Saturday night, and some sort of dessert. Jeannine
Chicken burros, salad, wine? salsa. Randy
BBQ'ed Shrimp appetizer and a fruit dish Tim

Sunday Breakfast:
Pancakes Shawn
Banana bread and Almond butter Jeannine

Coffee and creamer and such for the mornings, and some paper plates, bowls and plastic eating utensils Tracy

The website says there is no water. I called to confirm and the Rec Planner for the Douglas office says the tank has deteriorated to the point that the water won't pass spec's for public drinking water. So for the want of <$10k to replace it, they shut it off (but didn't lower the fees). To put that in perspecitve, the FS spends how much on computers, travel, office space, etc. etc. etc. (Maybe I'm too close to this.) However, there is flowing water in the immediate area so take your chances or bring your own water or your filters.

Can the early birds snag the group camp site? I don't expect to get there till Friday evening.

Trying this again. . .

After getting rained out the first go 'round in July we'll give it another go. The main hike will be on Saturday. Meet up at Rustler's Park on top of the mountain, we'll see if interest warrants the group site or if we can just all get spots near by.

Info on this area is available at "Chiricahua Peak via Rustler Park TH, AZ" on HAZ. The long route is all the way to the Monte Vista Fire Lookout which will require an early start but no one should feel compelled, you can hike out as far as you want, it's an out and back trip, or pick your own, there are lots of trails. As a real radical option, if anyone wants to set up a shuttle (~60 miles) the day before, we could do Rustler's Park to Rucker.

Just to be safe, prepare for thunder showers in the afternoon. Cool nights, hopefully we can have a fire, hotdogs and beans, etc. There is a campground fee, so bring some cash. As it gets closer we'll see about a pot luck for Saturdy night, if so, I'll plan on a pot of beans and, of course - - pancakes.

Come one, come all, and bring some friends. Wish we could entice some of the new folks, I see several sign up but never show up.

Suz

PostPosted: 9/14/2008, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ambika---beautiful set of pictures. Not bad for a point and shoot camera!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/15/2008, 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Not bad for a point and shoot camera!

Frankly I was surprised .... but I am happy.

Love your collection of flowers ...Now I have to dig up the names ...
I have much to learn in taking macros!
randy883

PostPosted: 9/15/2008, 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I enjoyed the weekend down at Rustler. It was nice meeting new people, and to those whose names I forgot, I apologize. The food spread was awesome. The pictures around the campfire with umbrellas...priceless!! We did luck out on the rain. Less than a tenth of an inch fell, I'm sure. We at least got the hike and potluck in before the sky opened up. Hey, and nobody made a noose to hang the weatherman. That was on my mind, 'cause I can't outrun you now with my bad foot!

Hey Tim, how about that no-hitter by Z?

Thanks Shawn for putting this together.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/15/2008, 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah Big-Z got it done last night. On the way over to Miller on ESPN Radio there was a 10 minute conversation on Cubs fans. Why they are so diehard, why they always will be win or lose. It would have went great with our conversation from the night before.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/15/2008, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey ya'll -- Post some pictures Bored
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/15/2008, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Last week I was taking some pictures of some softball stuff I was selling and set my camera on the lowest possible quality setting. FORGOT TO CHANGE IT BACK. So all of my pics are pretty much worthless now. Sad
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/16/2008, 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice pics guys. That IS really beautiful there. I like the shots of the fire and umbrella's. Whatever it takes to keep the fires going. Cute.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: