ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
UPDATED Chiricahua Weekend Rescheduled to Sept 12-14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(12) (2)
User
Davis2001R6
desertgirl
Shawn
sbkelley
fan
jdahling
GTG
randy883
JanM
Tom Treks
paintninaz
Tommy
User
windymesa
beckett
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Shawn
PostPosted: 7/28/2008, 9:11 pm    Post subject: UPDATED Chiricahua Weekend Rescheduled to Sept 12-14 Reply with quote

UPDATE:
It appears we have a good group of hardy souls willing to make the trip, so shall we plan a potluck (or not)?

Friday Supper: With everyone arriving at different times, this can be on your own.

Saturday Breakfast:???

Saturday Supper
Hotdogs and buns, pot o' beans. Shawn
Veggie munchies, hummus and dip for the evening. Ambika
Pork roast and cooked veggie side(s), beer (assumed for Sat.) Tom
Chips & beer for Saturday night, and some sort of dessert. Jeannine
Chicken burros, salad, wine? salsa. Randy
BBQ'ed Shrimp appetizer and a fruit dish Tim

Sunday Breakfast:
Pancakes Shawn
Banana bread and Almond butter Jeannine

Coffee and creamer and such for the mornings, and some paper plates, bowls and plastic eating utensils Tracy

The website says there is no water. I called to confirm and the Rec Planner for the Douglas office says the tank has deteriorated to the point that the water won't pass spec's for public drinking water. So for the want of <$10k to replace it, they shut it off (but didn't lower the fees). To put that in perspecitve, the FS spends how much on computers, travel, office space, etc. etc. etc. (Maybe I'm too close to this.) However, there is flowing water in the immediate area so take your chances or bring your own water or your filters.

Can the early birds snag the group camp site? I don't expect to get there till Friday evening.

Trying this again. . .

After getting rained out the first go 'round in July we'll give it another go. The main hike will be on Saturday. Meet up at Rustler's Park on top of the mountain, we'll see if interest warrants the group site or if we can just all get spots near by.

Info on this area is available at "Chiricahua Peak via Rustler Park TH, AZ" on HAZ. The long route is all the way to the Monte Vista Fire Lookout which will require an early start but no one should feel compelled, you can hike out as far as you want, it's an out and back trip, or pick your own, there are lots of trails. As a real radical option, if anyone wants to set up a shuttle (~60 miles) the day before, we could do Rustler's Park to Rucker.

Just to be safe, prepare for thunder showers in the afternoon. Cool nights, hopefully we can have a fire, hotdogs and beans, etc. There is a campground fee, so bring some cash. As it gets closer we'll see about a pot luck for Saturdy night, if so, I'll plan on a pot of beans and, of course - - pancakes.

Come one, come all, and bring some friends. Wish we could entice some of the new folks, I see several sign up but never show up.

wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/10/2008, 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You all have a Great time, I'll be thinkin about you all enjoying. Sounds like another great GHOTM that I will have to miss, but I Will get there one of these days. Sounds like the planning is all set and everything is a go. Have fun!!

Shawn's Brownies Jeannine? Figures when I can't make it there are brownies. Eat a couple for me will ya? I'm sure I'll taste them in my head, I do remember how good they were. And I'm gonna miss Tommy's Big Adventure stories ... dang ! I'll have to be sure to make it somewhere you come to Tommy next time so I can hear all about the trek

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 9/10/2008, 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tommy wrote:
Just got back in Arizona today and it looks like I can make this one. Smile It's been on my list for a while. Will probably show up saturday morning around 9.

I don't know Tommy, this is a pretty arduous trek, think you are up for it? Wink

Great to have you along, we hope to hear all about your adventures.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/10/2008, 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tommy wrote:
Just got back in Arizona today and it looks like I can make this one. Smile It's been on my list for a while. Will probably show up saturday morning around 9.

Awesome Tommy, look forward to seeing you, you might have to do the hike twice though to make you feel like you got a full day of hiking in though.

I'm still planning on doing Miller Peak Sunday if anyone is interested.

-TIM-
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 9/10/2008, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wish I could make this one but looks doubtful. A nice big ( but gated) cave in the area.
If I came would see if anyone wanted to crawl around in another cave that is not gated, on Sunday. But---- Confused
paintninaz

PostPosted: 9/10/2008, 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tommy wrote:

Awesome! PCT stories around the campfire!! thumbs up

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/10/2008, 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Letty, normally I would jump on that, but have other plans for a Sunday hike.

-TIM-
Suz

PostPosted: 9/11/2008, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As difficult as it is, I think I'm going to sit this one out. Looking forward to hearing about your great fun and food.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/11/2008, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I will have BBQ'ed Shrimp for an appetizer and well a fruit dish. Probably not going to get in until late on Friday, like 10-11 late. If I don't make it for some reason will be there early on Saturday morning.
Shawn

PostPosted: 9/11/2008, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Reminder--Willcox is the last commercial outpost, you might want to fill up and buy whatever you forgot there.
Shawn

PostPosted: 9/11/2008, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
As difficult as it is, I think I'm going to sit this one out. Looking forward to hearing about your great fun and food.

Sad Twas it something we said?
threedogz

PostPosted: 9/11/2008, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was on the "life is so uncertain list" and decided it wouldn't be wise for me to go and decided to do a more local hike. I thought my daughter was going to have a soccer game on Saturday, so I procrastinated on some of my classwork and I need the internet to do most of it. I don't think the Chiricuhua's have wireless internet
Rolling Eyes
Shawn

PostPosted: 9/11/2008, 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Friday: A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 62. North northwest wind around 6 mph.

Friday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. Northwest wind between 3 and 7 mph.

Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a high near 65. Northwest wind between 5 and 7 mph.

Saturday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 46. North northwest wind between 5 and 7 mph.

Sunday: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 11am. Partly cloudy, with a high near 67.
Suz

PostPosted: 9/12/2008, 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
Suz wrote:

Sad Twas it something we said?

No, no, no. I'd like to go. It's all lame excuses---House chores, the drive would be about 4.5 hours each way for me possibly longer. My car is doing funky things the last 2 days. It's honking the horn, flashing the hazard lights, and locking the doors.....in sort of a random way while I'm driving...it's a little embarrassing. At first, I thought it was shopping withdrawls but then I realized cars probably don't have that. I did take it in to the dealership last night and we changed the battery and suspect it's a wet remote contributing to these electrical seizures (took it canyoneering with me last weekend) but I'm not 100% certain that's it. 160,000 miles tucked under it's belt so odd things will happen. I just don't want to be on the road alone and have an issue. Pretty sure I'd be leaving later than everyone....that's all.....nothing you said.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 9/12/2008, 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the weather update Shawn, now I'll have to repack everything! Rolling Eyes (just kidding, Tom)

Suz wrote:
My car is doing funky things the last 2 days. It's honking the horn, flashing the hazard lights, and locking the doors.....in sort of a random way while I'm driving...

Maybe it thinks you're in a parade! Wink

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Shawn

PostPosted: 9/12/2008, 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hope to be leaving by noon, everyone drive safely!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: