ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mt Everest Hike
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you do this hike if someone gave you the $70,000 and you were in good shape?
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 13 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 23

sherileeaz

PostPosted: 11/9/2003, 1:41 pm    Post subject: Mt Everest Hike Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/everest/interactive/wm_overview.html
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/9/2003, 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think just the question "would you do this hike" would sway some of the answers so far.

The "if someone gave you $70,000 and you were in good shape" part of it is enticing to all I'm sure. Shoot... I'd probably try skiing my way back down if that were the case.
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 11/9/2003, 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Right now looking at it, it's a tie, 4-4

My answer was "No", I may be curious but not stupid! The highest peak I'd consider is Mt Humphey's.

Tom, not sure what you mean, don't mean to sway anyone! Well not for THIS reason atleast. Laughing You may want to post your own poll, I have no problem with that.

Sheri Cool
evenstar

PostPosted: 11/9/2003, 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Add a couple more 00's and I still wouldn't do it!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Daryl

PostPosted: 11/9/2003, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Isn't the $70,000 the cost of what it would take to do it? Sherpas, gear, permits, a guide...

If someone elase was footing the bill and I could take 2 months off work to do it, pumkin yeah I'd be there. I heard the hike in to basecamp takes a week alone.
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/9/2003, 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd do in a heartbeat.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
ck1

PostPosted: 11/9/2003, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 11/9/2003, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think the only mountains in the world I'd do that is over 20,000 feet are the Andy's. The risk is not as great there.
The risk of something going wrong is almost way to great to concider Everest.

So far my highest is Uncompahgre Peak, Colorado-14,309 feet.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/10/2003, 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd rather spend the 70K in spectacular hikes rather than on Everest ( risk is too high )....I hiked up to Everest Base camp past April .. This was a great hike (9 days from Lukla) with incredible views, great people and you get a glimpse of a unique sub-culture that is high altitude hiking ....I was lucky to talk with quite a few expeditions at base camp (Yes I have walked on that hallowed ground -- at least the 2003 edition -- Base camp is on glacial moraine so its at a new spot each year close to same location based on how the moraine its for the year). We did summit Kala Pattar (18,400 ft) ..that was fun! ( If you have the time & $ this or any similar peak is so worth it! ) In Everest parlance this is not hike/climb but a trek.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 11/10/2003, 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Desergirl I am jealous! I would love to at least get to the base climb. That would rock.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 11/10/2003, 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Desertgirl, how exciting!
Do you have a trip log of it somewhere? Photos?
I'd love to read up on it more.
I know I "won't ever" do Mt Everest, but can enjoy it through others.

Sheri - Mt Won't Ever-est
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/10/2003, 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sherileeaz wrote:
Desertgirl, how exciting!
Do you have a trip log of it somewhere? Photos?

I was going to ask the same thing. Bet that was a haul-and-a-half. How much did that run you Desertgirl? Bet it wasn't cheap.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/10/2003, 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah...It was one of those "once in your lifetime" adventures.....Somehow the plan went from raft trip in the canyon to Everest Basecamp. I will work on posting low res pictures in the gallery in a few days. (Trip log may take a bit )

It was a 21 day trip and $2500. If you work directly with vendors there you can do the same for about $1500 or less depending on what you do. Of course, the possibility of being ripped off increases. I did not have the time to plan so I plonked down a hefty chunck of change

--See more info here http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/asia/everest.html
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 11/10/2003, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Namaste:

I've hiked with Desertgirl (correction, I've followed Desertgirl). She's one tough cookie! She carries a pack almost as big as mine, which is remarkable.

The expense and logistics is a great hurdle. The people who died a few years back on the Scott Fisher expedition etal. paid about $70k for their climb including all the fees and permits. That is one of the reasons for some of the fatalities. If you have just spent your life savings on a summit attempt, you are loath to turn back even if the situation demands it.

I understand that the backpacking trek around Annapurna is incredibly beautiful, fairly high altitude without requiring advanced technical climbing skills.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 11/12/2003, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep, I'd give it a try!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: