ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
First thing after a difficult hike
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

After getting home from a long/difficult hike, the first thing I do is:
Eat
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Take a shower
40%
 40%  [ 15 ]
Soak in the tub
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Post a write up on arizonahikers.com
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Have a Beer
24%
 24%  [ 9 ]
Other?
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 37

Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/13/2004, 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well if I'm planning a long difficult hike, I usually have a cooler, grill and some brats and beer waiting in the car at the trailhead. Then when I get home I usually write up a trip report hit the shower then the bed. If I had a jucuzzi that would probably be the first thing I would hit when I got home.
-TIM-
pfredricks

PostPosted: 4/13/2004, 11:40 am    Post subject: hmmm Reply to topic Reply with quote

--- oR one could wander around aimlessly on the side of Brown's peak tired, lost and starving while Tim and Brad gorge themselves on said Brats and beers.

Well, since Daryl technically did say when we get home:

I usually throw all my gear all over the garage as it is- wet, torn, muddy, wadded up, then pass by it for the next week without acknowledging it again.

Then I pass out.

BTW Sheri- I hope you are a conservationist and try to save some of that water- share a tub if possible.
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
AK

PostPosted: 4/13/2004, 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll have a cold beer in the shower.

"Can't think of a good signature quote". - Me
AZBrad123

PostPosted: 4/13/2004, 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pete is correct. Usually we have some brats and beers. Discuss the fact that Pete has not returned yet. Have a few more beers, a couple more brats, discuss what a difficult it was and how it has been dark for so long. Then finish the beer and wonder where Pete is. Then, well, we talk for a little longer about pete not being there. Then finally, look for some more beer. Once we realize none left go looking for Pete.

Sorry Pete!
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 4/13/2004, 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Beer Here!!

Beer Usually at the trailhead.

Quote:

Well if I'm planning a long difficult hike, I usually have a cooler, grill and some brats and beer waiting in the car at the trailhead.

From now on, I want to hike w/ Tim, Brad, and Pete!! Yes Just let me know where and when guys!!

Then from the trailhead, a quick stop bite w/ Diane and friends...
Quote:

I too usually eat on the way home 'cause I can't last till I get home. Besides I like to eat a nice big after hike dinner with my hiking partners before we all head to our respective homes as it just adds to the experience and gives us a chance to talk about the hike we just enjoyed and plan the next one!

Agree Totally agree!!

Then, after food w/ Diane, I'm going to stop at Trish's place...
Quote:

Icy cold beer while sitting in the jacuzzi gets my vote!

SSSssoooooooo, I guess that leaves a shower as first on my list after I get home!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
plummer150

PostPosted: 4/13/2004, 1:12 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Now thats hardcore. I do the same except while i'm taking a shower and i'm late getting out to where i'm supposed to go, i'll drink down some vodka straight up! Thats the way to do. Margarita! Margarita Beer
ck1

PostPosted: 4/13/2004, 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd say as of late the BEER comes first, at the trailhead or bar shortly thereafter, followed by FOOD at either location as well. When I finally return home, a SHOWER is top on the list, as it allows me that wholly unique experience of water hitting cuts/open wounds...usually this experience is highlighted by the discovery of scratches and cuts that I didn't know I'd gotten while on the hike...

"The Journey is the Destination"
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 4/13/2004, 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

AH yes... the sting of all those cuts and scratches... we all know it well.... Laughing

I want to shine!
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 4/13/2004, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

after a hard day I still try to find time to clean and inspect my gear, and that is why it still looks like new. Shihiyea will tell you about my spotless 4 year old tent that has seen at least 40 nights out there... after that a nice shower followed by some fattening greasy Mexican food with a margarita or 5... Twisted Evil
dont tell me none of you folks dont smoke a little kine...

liars! Very Happy

what i do
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 4/13/2004, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Beer for me. If I pass the Bluebird Mine Store on the way home it is always a must to stop there for beer, and hopefully a visit with Louis, who is 90 years old and personally knows must of the Dutchman Hunters. The place is way cool and I love their dog Willabe, who is a cross between a Rotweiller and a Coyote, very smart, lovable dog. Although he is an excellent judge of character and if you are an a--hole he will know it and let you know it. Laughing Laughing
pfredricks

PostPosted: 4/14/2004, 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

plummer150 wrote:
Quote:

Now thats hardcore. I do the same except while i'm taking a shower and i'm late getting out to where i'm supposed to go, i'll drink down some vodka straight up! Thats the way to do. Margarita! Margarita Beer

That's hardcore?? I knew of a guy that SMOKED in the shower Laughing
funny, but true
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
pfredricks

PostPosted: 4/14/2004, 8:02 am    Post subject: after a hike Reply to topic Reply with quote

mikeinFHAZ wrote:
after a hard day I still try to find time to clean and inspect my gear, and that is why it still looks like new. Very Happy

You sound like a morning person Mike
plummer150

PostPosted: 4/14/2004, 9:03 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
That's hardcore?? I knew of a guy that SMOKED in the shower
funny, but true

Ha, you're right, thats crazy. Silly
evenstar

PostPosted: 4/14/2004, 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
The place is way cool and I love their dog Willabe, who is a cross between a Rotweiller and a Coyote, very smart, lovable dog.

We met her last Friday when we stopped off for a beer after the Blacktop Mesa hike; Guess I musta been in the "Kinder and Gentler Hooli" mode 'cause she and I became best buds; of course, I was scratching her ears which will turn just about any dog into my best bud! She is a real sweetie! Very Happy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 4/14/2004, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Arizonaheat wrote:
The place is way cool and I love their dog Willabe, who is a cross between a Rotweiller and a Coyote, very smart, lovable dog.

I was scratching her ears which will turn just about any dog into my best bud! She is a real sweetie! Very Happy

You can ask Willabe when you see her on the porch..."Willabe a good day or willabe a bad day" and she will talk a little bit. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: