ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Baldy Loop 2008 Version
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 11/23/2008, 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sent you a pm with a map of my Mt Warren travels
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/2/2009, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm hoping to be able to do Baldy in a few weeks. Anyone know how far up I'll be able to drive and which trail I'll have to take. Seems like the West Fork has lots of downed trees but the east is closed because of road work?

Never been to the area. so maybe a link with directions would help.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/2/2009, 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm out of town right now, or I would give you better info. This morning when I left there it had snowed again. Those roads won't open for awhile. The ranger station, Springerville Ranger District, can be reached at 928.333.4372.

The main road past the trailheads is 273, and should reopen later on, maybe in May or June.

The trail crew started clearing the East Baldy trail, but I hear it was pretty frustrating for them as the trees just kept falling and falling. There has been that massive die-off in the past several years due to bark beetles.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 4/3/2009, 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been to Sheep's Crossing twice in March 2009 and each winter since 2004... Last time was for a night snowshoe last Friday. ( a balmy 20F with no moon )

Still 4-6ft of snow in upper elevations so I'd suggest a day with temps below 32F and get a pre-dawn start with good snowshoes else you'll probably have snow problems like I did March 14. ( check Baldy snowtel for temps )

West trail always has less snow in the Spring vs East trail access due to snow is always a problem. ( last Fri there were still huge drifts across hwy273 at Sheep's Crossing ) East trail often provides a nearly total snowshoe trek in the early Spring vs snowshoes req less on West.

I've had to cross knee deep snowfields on Baldy at 11,000ft in July so the snow usually melts very slowly.

USFS has cleared 150 trees from Sheep's Crossing trail but 50 remained b/4 the Fall snow came and the logging crew isn't scheduled till mid-June. East & X-Cut trails have not been cleared at all but are suppose to be.

Hwy273 is still closed for the winter but road work was completed in Nov from Sheep's to Big Lake only. Paving project for that new section is suppose to begin later this year and next year the rest of 273 might get paved.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 4/3/2009, 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Give the ranger a call since there could be some changes from 2008 conditions. It could be that East is open on weekends when road crews are not working. But ask the ranger and also ask if you can drive there on 273 (off 260) going past Sunrise park.

You young tough guys won't have a problem hiking 20 miles or getting around a couple hundred fallen trees.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 4/3/2009, 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

273 road project is complete but road is still closed for the winter.

USFS folks do not frequent Baldy trails at all in the winter and very little in summer except for Vo who now does logging too.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 4/3/2009, 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That was quite a hike GPSJOE with all those downed trees as even the cross-cut trail is a mess with fallen trees.

Next time you are up top checkout Mt Warren which is a 15-20 minute easy walk from the jct of the West/East trail. I believe there's no other signed trailhead higher in AZ than what you'll find over there.
gpsjoe wrote:
Give the ranger a call since there could be some changes from 2008 conditions. It could be that East is open on weekends when road crews are not working. But ask the ranger and also ask if you can drive there on 273 (off 260) going past Sunrise park.

You young tough guys won't have a problem hiking 20 miles or getting around a couple hundred fallen trees.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/3/2009, 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My understanding is, from talking to Barbara Romero, rec director for Springerville RD, and also from newspaper articles, that there will be no paving done in the foreseeable future, due to state budget problems, BUT the road is supposed to open as a dirt road for the 2009 season. And after all that waiting, closed for at least 3 years, it will still be dirt. Most of us living on the mtn. did not want the paving, anyway.

I haven't spoken to Vicente since returning from Yuma, but he does always have pretty good info. And Barbara told me there should be money in the district budget this year for trail work, in fact possibly even a contracted company of professional trail-builders.

That was quite a trip, Sam.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 4/3/2009, 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry but Barb is out of touch. Give Vo a call as he's in the know as he's doing it all instead of sitting behind a desk.

Amazing he got certified just to do the Baldy logging and has most of the West trail cleared. ( some of those trees were monsters and a few so large they couldn't be cut or moved )
azbackpackr wrote:
My understanding is, from talking to Barbara Romero, rec director for Springerville RD, and also from newspaper articles, that there will be no paving done in the foreseeable future, due to state budget problems, BUT the road is supposed to open as a dirt road for the 2009 season. And after all that waiting, closed for at least 3 years, it will still be dirt. Most of us living on the mtn. did not want the paving, anyway.

I haven't spoken to Vicente since returning from Yuma, but he does always have pretty good info. And Barbara told me there should be money in the district budget this year for trail work, in fact possibly even a contracted company of professional trail-builders.

That was quite a trip, Sam.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/3/2009, 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, okay Sam's probably right about which personnel to contact, I have to admit. I don't wish to comment further.

However, the fact that the paving won't happen has been talked about everyone up on the mtn. for months. I am pretty sure they are opening the road without the paving.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 4/3/2009, 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Last I heard road will open once snow is gone but is scheduled to be paved this year as bids just went out due to all the new free stim money.

Next year section between Sheep's Crossing and Sunrise Store is scheduled to be improved and paved depending on bids.

No word on any further construction closures as bids just went out.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/3/2009, 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Interesting info. I did hear the stimulus money might change things, hadn't heard that.

Most trails in the Spr. Ranger District need a lot of work. Alpine, too.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/3/2009, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info, I'm hoping to go towards the end of April, with a trip to Escudilla as well. Hopefully the roads will be open by then.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 4/4/2009, 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Late April iffy as to roads, and Baldy will still be covered with snow. So I'd suggest calling the two ranger districts about the roads, and bringing snowshoes for Baldy.

Or you could just go right away and do what Sam suggested, hike and snowshoe in the whole way from 273.
Dean

PostPosted: 4/5/2009, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is an interesting discussion as Baldy is one I need to complete the Arizona county highpoints. I'm hoping for late June and it sounds like that might be a good time to
give it a go. Thanks to azbackpackr for all her input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: