ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mount Baldy Status Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 5/28/2008, 6:15 pm    Post subject: Mount Baldy Status Report Reply to topic Reply with quote

It seems like forever since we have been able to hike Mount Baldy. I called the Springerville Ranger District office today to inquire about that. Turns out that FR273 from 260 will remain closed for an indefinite time period (I asked when that will open and got a response of "for as long as it takes" whatever that means, but I am not happy with that.). It apparently will remain closed for a second year. I have trouble imagining what they are doing up there for such a long time period.

The Baldy trail and Baldy loop is one of the nicest hikes in the state of Arizona. It is written up in virtually every hiking guide for hikes in Arizona. It also was recently written up in Backpacker Magazine as one of Arizona's finest hikes and it is that for sure.

Now the ranger staff did say they are working hard (24/7) on creating an access to the West Bakdy trailhead that "may" be opened starting this weekend. It should have been opened already but the freak May snowstorm caused delays here. If open you would drive 260 to 373 toward Greer and turn right on FR87 and follow it to a temporary trailhead there. You will then hike 3/4ths mile to the West Baldy trailhead and hike in from there. My guess is that if you wanted to do the loop, it will then be an 18 miler instead of a 15 miler.

Follow the red arrows in this picture.

Someone please tell me what in the name of heaven they are doing to FR273 that takes a couple of years or more????
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 5/28/2008, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was there last summer. They are rerouting it, widening it, putting in drainages and paving it. It looked horrible out there. It scares me that they think they need this big a road through there. And they are not doing any maintenance on the trail. We counted that we climbed over 120 downed trees before we stopped counting. We came in from Big Lake. Not sure if we could get here by these directions.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 5/28/2008, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Al_HikesAZ wrote:
Not sure if we could get here by these directions.

Just to be absolutely clear, the Forest Service is building this access to the West Baldy trailhead right now and it should be finished soon. It wll include a parking area and a marked off safe route to the West Baldy trailhead. Anyone can call the Springerville Ranger station and get this information.
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 5/28/2008, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think I misspoke. Last summer 273 was actually closed from the north which is why we accessed from Big Lake. Should be nice when finished but will open up this whole area. They will probably start maintaining the trail now that the road is about to open.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/29/2008, 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hadn't heard about this new access. Have mtn. biked Railroad Grade Trail and also have hiked West Fork Trail from Greer on up to West Baldy trailhead several times during the past year. Always the same--heavy equipment at the trailhead. And construction guys giving you the evil eye. I don't get that. I have a right to be there, even if on foot or bike.

I don't want to get into detail here, but there sure are a lot of great hikes in the White Mtns. without all the crowds that are at Baldy whenever it IS open.

On the other hand, go on and crowd on up to Baldy. I'll go to all the great places where I could set up a tent all summer and never see a soul.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/9/2008, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, despite my grumbling about this topic, (I could give lessons! Mr. Green ) I want to let you guys know that it has been really WARM up here this week, and I just returned from a hike at South Fork. The main fork, which meets the South Fork in that area, is going like there is no tomorrow. I mean, it's really running big--you could kayak down it! I haven't seen it running that big for quite awhile. And there is only one explanation for this amount of water: Mt. Baldy's snows are melting very fast!

I noticed when I could see Baldy this past weekend that there was far less snow on top than there had been a couple of weeks before.

What this probably means is you could climb it, but there will still be some really big drifts, that are, trust me, kind of hard to get through. I would still wait and see, and call the FS.

Incidentally, on this evening's hike to South Fork we saw two bears! And elk, and deer. This was just a little hike we did after work. My husband saw a wolf and a bobcat in the same area earlier this week.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/10/2008, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Elizabeth, next time you go up and get the Evil eye, you should say, Hey I came to help can I drive some of that equipment for ya? Then you'll really get the Evil eye. Then bounce on your merry way. Mr. Green

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 6/11/2008, 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Straight from the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest Website

NOTE: Highway 273 is CLOSED from its junction at Forest Road 87 to Crescent Lake due to road reconstruction work. To access the West Mt. Baldy trailhead, parallel park your vehicle at the junction of Forest Road 87 and Highway 273. There is a sign there identifying a temporary ľ mile trail that provids access to the West Baldy Trail #94 at Sheeps Crossing.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/asnf/recreation/trails/
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/11/2008, 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmmm--I wonder if they are going to do any trailwork soon? Or if it's just to allow the fly fishermen some easier access? I haven't called to ask, and now it's after hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: