ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
June GHOTM --Wet Beaver Creek -- 6/28/08
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(9) (7)
User
Hnak
Davis2001R6
ck1
Sande J
Tom Treks
paintninaz
jdahling
beckett
outside1
User
Trishness
mike
wolfmoms
MChiker
liza_k
azbackpackr
steve
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Suz
PostPosted: 5/13/2008, 8:34 pm    Post subject: June GHOTM --Wet Beaver Creek -- 6/28/08 Reply with quote

* * * June Group Hike of the Month * * *

Let's hike, swim, float and cool off at Wet Beaver Creek near Camp Verde!! We'll eat afterwards at that great Mexican food place "La Fonda" a little ways west of 17 on 260.

Saturday, June 28th
Meet at the trailhead parking lot at 8:30am
Approx 6-7 hours in the area then well head for a late lunch or early dinner. Thinking we'll be back in the Valley by 7pm-ish, if not sooner.

This is a day hike. Wet Beaver Creek really is a beautiful oasis. The trail is wide and easy to follow for the first part, in fact I think it's an old jeep trail. If you like Sedona and love West Fork of Oak Creek, try this creek.The distance is 3 easy flat miles (or 6 roundtrip)to the main waterhole and then however far we can get after that. Elevation gain 280ft. The rest of the hike is in and out of the water. Participants should expect to be wet and prepared for swimming or floating AND a pile of fun.

Driving Directions:
Directions to trail: From Phoenix go North on Highway I-17 to the Sedona Exit which is SR179. Do not turn left to go to Sedona. Instead turn right, this is FR618. Follow FR618 2 miles and turn left onto FR618A. Follow the signs to the trailhead. This is a great trail. Carpools can be set up on an as needed basis.

http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=7
Some people may want to stop and enjoy this main waterhole while others (like me) will press on through some of the 18 pools of water.

RECOMMENDED GEAR
-water shoes
-dry sack
-tube or other floation device (I like a tube on this one)
-hiking pole
-quick dry clothes or swim suit

More information coming............

oliverr99

PostPosted: 6/17/2008, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I have to unregister, my sis in law needs me that day, Sad I was looking forward to floating in water and seeing you guys! Sorry!
jdahling

PostPosted: 6/19/2008, 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bummer - I will now be out of town that weekend, leaving Sunday. Is this a day trip or a weekend trip ...

Jeannine

"Life is an adventure ... Made for an adventurer ..."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Suz

PostPosted: 6/19/2008, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, it's just a day trip! Go, it'll be fun.
Hnak

PostPosted: 6/19/2008, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yea, it's only day trip... It'll be fun!
jdahling

PostPosted: 6/20/2008, 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sweet - it's only a day trip? I may be in again... Multi

As soon as I hear from the travel agent what the new itinerary is, I'll see if I can do this...

"Life is an adventure ... Made for an adventurer ..."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/20/2008, 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes it's just a day trip. This will be my first time to the area so I won't be the greatest leader/organizer on this one. Been super busy too, but did get to do a bit of research on it last night.

A car can make it to the TH with no problems from what I've read and been told. I already had previous plans of camping that night with some friends that will be 4x4'ing in the area (Sedona or Flagstaff) so I won't be able to make any post hike festivities or be included in any carpooling.

With gas the way it is I would think everyone else would want to try and set-up a carpool up there.

I'm still planning on meeting at the TH at 8:30am.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 6/22/2008, 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I haven't really looked at a map but is this the Bell Trailhead or something different? If anyone wants to carpool, pm me and we can meet at the Park and Ride off the I-17. Laughing I keep hearing that song..."Gimme some Water!"
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/22/2008, 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes it is the bell TH, the same exit as you would for Sedona, you just turn right instead of left.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 6/22/2008, 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim, I have done this trail numerous times and am familiar with the trek up to the tongue. As far as going beyond the it, I have never really taken that route, but I bet we can figure it out together... Surprised (like, just follow the water Laughing )
I do know this can be a very busy trailhead, especially this time of year when folks want to go swimming. Also, the first part of the hike will be HOT and it is every bit of 3 miles so everyone should be prepared for it. I was planning on bringing my water filter too as I tend to drink alot when it is warmer.
Looking forward to it!
SJ
Suz

PostPosted: 6/24/2008, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, it's tough to not be joining you all on this one. You've gotta slip down that water slide once or twice for me!

Doc has given me strict orders to stay out of all water (except shower water) for 2-3 weeks and then he wants me in protective clothing if I continue this hiking thing (I'm in for a big change) ..........so I'm shopping............. Rolling Eyes Doesn't it seem with the abundance of shopping all of us do that we need a little shopping smiley??

His recommendation for clothing is:
http://www.sunprecautions.com/
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 6/24/2008, 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz, do more caving and you won't have to worry about sunblock. It's like hiking in a canyon except underground, oh except for the crawling for miles --it seems---part.
Crazy
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/24/2008, 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ha, nice suggestion Letty, Suz I'm sure you'll be back on the trail in no time if I know you. I little sun protective clothing wont hurt you much unless you can't get it color coordinated. If you need a shopping partner I'm sure Jen could help you out there.

_TIM_
Suz

PostPosted: 6/25/2008, 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep, caving and deep dark slotty canyons are sounding doable after I heal up..........as is the gym Crying or Very sad or basket weaving (hence the devil's claw) or quilting....been talking about that one for years...LOL.

Hoping to get the protective clothing covered by insurance as a "medical device" now that I have a condition and doctors orders.

Does shopping with Jen involve a trip to Italy? If so, sign me up!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 6/25/2008, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You guys still meeting at the trailhead at 8:30?

May head up there Fri night and camp out somewhere close to the trailhead.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 6/25/2008, 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom Treks wrote:
May head up there Fri night and camp out somewhere close to the trailhead.

Ditto what he said.

I'm looking forward to Yep, it's a swimmer!

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: