ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Arizona Hikers Work Weekend at Hart Prairie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(15) (4)
User
Shawn
Hikngrl
GTG
paintninaz
Tom Treks
desertgirl
chihiggs
wanderingsoul
Randal Schulhauser
jdahling
Hnak
oliverr99
beckett
JanM
jmzblond
User
Matt Hoffman
Davis2001R6
sbkelley
kurthzone
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Shawn
PostPosted: 4/7/2008, 6:37 pm    Post subject: Arizona Hikers Work Weekend at Hart Prairie Reply with quote

We've talked of a weekend at Hart Prairie just for Arizona Hikers and friends. Neil Chapman, manager, has offered the weekend of August 15-17 just for us. This poll will be up for a week, if we get ~10 or more rather firm commitments, we'll pursue it, if not we'll release the date for someone else.

Hart Prairie is a very beautiful facility just west of Mt. Humphrey's. There are plenty of pictures in the gallery if you are unfamiliar with it. We'll have cabins (bring your own linens and towels) and a kitchen, so we'll need to appoint volunteer scullery slaves, plan a menu and collect some $$ for the food.

We can arrive Friday afternoon or evening, work starts at 8 AM Saturday, we usually stay at it till about 3:30 or so, with a short break for lunch of course, then 8-12 Sunday. We usually have run of the place till sometime later on Sunday afternoon.

Work varies but lately it's been fuels reduction, which is a nice way of saying loading pickups with tree rounds and slash and hauling it out to a clearing to be burned when it's safe. Good hard physical labor to counteract days in the cube. Lighter fare is wild plant seed collection.

So if you are interested and able to make the commitment, sign up here and we'll see if we can muster a chain gang.

PS Don't be expecting the organizational abilities of cruise director Susan, this is leadership light.

More info about the preserve: http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/arizona/preserves/art15233.html

threedogz

PostPosted: 9/6/2008, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have seen that type of incision heal up really well. He did a great job with the screws, nice handy work!

Good luck with your recovery!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 9/6/2008, 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I snuck back up to Hart Prairie last night. Neil, Anne and I burned a few piles, then hauled trash logs from across the drive and thru it on the fires. Also cleaned up the duff and the fire wood haulers rejects where the rounds are piled. Then ran three tanks of gas thru the chain saw. Keeping with the cardiac health attack, grilled a big t-bone for dinner, now off to bed to let it attach to the inner walls of my arteries.

Life is good . . . .
Suz

PostPosted: 9/6/2008, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is disgusting!
oliverr99

PostPosted: 9/6/2008, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn, are the leaves changing yet? Take a picture for us! Have fun!!
Shawn

PostPosted: 9/7/2008, 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No changes quite yet but getting real close. There was a little frost in places this morning.
Shawn

PostPosted: 10/10/2008, 8:26 am    Post subject: How spontaneous can you be? Reply to topic Reply with quote

There is a VOAz work weekend at Hart Prairie this weekend, but light snow is predicted and there have been many cancellations. Check the VOAz website or PM me if interested. I'm leaving around 3 or 4 this afternoon, coming back Sunday about the same time.
beckett

PostPosted: 10/10/2008, 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wish I could join you. Our last trip to Hart Prairie was so awesome. Say hi to the gang up their for me.
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Shawn

PostPosted: 10/10/2008, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It was after dark when I finally got here, took an hour to get from Indian School to New River, slow traffic. But those who got here earlier said the trees have started to turn. Maybe I can post a photo or two tomorrow.

The moon is great, enough lite to walk around with, and there is a cloud bank above the moutain picking the moon lite up. Strong wind but clear, supposedly some precip tomorrow. Cinnamon rolls are in the oven, when they come out I can go to bed.
beckett

PostPosted: 10/11/2008, 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ooooooo....cinnamon rolls!

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Shawn

PostPosted: 10/19/2008, 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One more time!

Up here for TNC's last event of the year, and found another one of our own here as well! Beautiful weekend this time, wind blew like mad and it got cold last weekend. I doubt there will be spectacular color this year, a lot of the trees froze before they turned. But there are some green ones left so maybe . . .

We're looking at July for AZH's weekend here next summer. It'll be here before you know it.

Great food, great friends, great times . . . seems to be the norm at this special place.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 10/19/2008, 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hope you had a great time. I will have to keep my eye out for next July!
jdahling

PostPosted: 10/20/2008, 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:

We're looking at July for AZH's weekend here next summer. It'll be here before you know it.

Excellent - It's hot here in July - it will be nice to go north and do a bit of work.

Shawn wrote:
Great food, great friends, great times . . . seems to be the norm at this special place.

It truly is a special place and everyone who has attended an event there seems to agree! How lucky are we to have it for a whole weekend - the AZH event at the Prairie!

"Life is an adventure ... Made for an adventurer ..."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/20/2008, 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Excellent Shawn! If I am in the country next July, I am in ( No I am not leaving AZ -- might have 8 weeks of paid vacation to burn ...I do not know what my plans are just yet.)
Randal Schulhauser

PostPosted: 10/21/2008, 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn - count me in for Hart Prairie WW 2009...

RANDAL
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/22/2008, 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't think I will be able to make it back from Italy for this Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: