ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
A little something I've been working on
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> ** Announcements ** Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 10/27/2003, 10:40 pm    Post subject: A little something I've been working on Reply to topic Reply with quote

In my spare time (which is nearly nonexistant Rolling Eyes ), I've been working on a portal page for the site. It will eventually replace what we have at the site index (http://arizonahikers.com/index.html). You can get a look at it by going to http://arizonahikers.com/forum/portal.php. You can also see the "development" version (that means the one I'm using to test stuff with) at http://arizonahikers.com/forum/portal_test.php. And as you can see, the random photo isn't working, yet. I'm taking suggestions for things to add to this page. In the works are the random photo, and a list of the most recently updated albums in the photo gallery. I have both working as standalones, but not yet working integrated into the portal page.

Also if anyone wants to try their hand at a little php coding, shoot me a message!! Wink
evenstar

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very nice, Mike! Very Happy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like it Exclamation Good job Smile
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice touches Mike. Just make sure you don't catch Joe-itis though. Wink

So, what's the status of the Gallery? Find anything out?
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great ....
Couple of inputs ...

1) Can we have a category that is the next planned event akin Epic hike etc. on the main page ?
2) Next trail related comunity activity -- may be we can help out AZ trail deve work / clean up activities etc be posted so that these groups can get some publicity/help and we get some hiking opportunities and be a part of something...related to hiking

Just my thoughts...
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks Great Mike! I love it!!! I too like the idea of a next community event or major planned hike for the group... but perhaps to save you some work couldn't those be put under upcomming events that you already have up there? Or are you gonna limit that too one visable event?

I want to shine!
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

dcornelius wrote:
Looks Great Mike! I love it!!! I too like the idea of a next community event or major planned hike for the group... but perhaps to save you some work couldn't those be put under upcomming events that you already have up there? Or are you gonna limit that too one visable event?
The upcoming events list is driven by the calendar. So, when there is something coming up, put it on the calendar folks! For example there's an event tomorrow that many of you probably are unaware of, I'll add it then you can check out the portal or the calendar to see it.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

So, what's the status of the Gallery? Find anything out?

That's a GTG question. Oh, Todd.....
outside1

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike,

I would be very interested in giving php a shot. I would need a bit of guidance, as all my experience is in the Windows environment. Let me know what you are thinking, are you looking for help with the site or just want to share you open source knowledge and skills?
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice stuff Mike - I like it

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
paintninaz

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
Nice touches Mike. Just make sure you don't catch Joe-itis though. Wink

I'd have to agree! Ok

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You know I like it Wink There is so much phpBB and php/MySQL code out there, it's just a matter of tweaking. It might be nice to have a scrolling news block of the latest trip log topic and posts. Just a thought. Smile
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 10/28/2003, 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

outside1 wrote:
Mike,

I would be very interested in giving php a shot. I would need a bit of guidance, as all my experience is in the Windows environment. Let me know what you are thinking, are you looking for help with the site or just want to share you open source knowledge and skills?

When we first started the site up, the idea was that anyone who was willing could help us with it. I have plenty of things I'd like to code, but not enough time to get them done. So, I could use the help if you want to give php a try. I have books (on loan to a coworker, right now though) I could let you borrow and can point you to plenty of resources on the web. I'll shoot you a pm about it when I get home.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 10/29/2003, 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

^5 Mike....great job

"T"

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
ck1

PostPosted: 10/29/2003, 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well Mike, I must say, I'm disappointed. I expected more. I was looking for local and international news to be a part of the page, as well as perhaps a few links to websites of interest. Get on that, won't you. Chop Chop.

Rolling Eyes You know I think it's awesome! I like it very much. Very Happy Very Happy

"The Journey is the Destination"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> ** Announcements ** All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: