ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Backpacking in Grand Canyon
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patches

PostPosted: 2/5/2008, 7:16 am    Post subject: Backpacking in Grand Canyon Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have an opportunity to hike in the Canyon on April 18-20. This will be a first time for me, so I have a few questions. I am told that we can get a mule to carry 35 lbs, but I will still have to carry a backpack. I think I can borrow a one-man tent, but I need to get a lightweight sleeping bag and pad. Does anyone have any tips or pointers as to the best and lightest to get and also where to get the supplies? I guess I need all the advice I can get. Thanks! Patches (Annie)
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 2/5/2008, 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

youre going to need a bag that will be warm even in the mid 30's (even if the weather is a low of 50- just in case)
a good bag, no, a great bag for the Canyon in April might be THIS ONE. This bag is a good introduction to down bags. Use coupon code SPUH57 at checkout for $109
if I can take your "best and lightest" request literally, then make no mistake- Western Mountaineering is the best and lightest in the world-period. I have some female hiking friends that use the (supposedly men's bag) WM Ultralite. Bar none- pay the $350 for one of these and you'll never have to buy a sleeping bag again.

what i do
Patches

PostPosted: 2/5/2008, 12:44 pm    Post subject: Canyon HIke Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks!! I ordered the one from Sierra Trading Post. I will still have to find a pad, but I have a start!! Thanks again! Annie
Hnak

PostPosted: 2/5/2008, 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In addition to Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends also makes some mighty nice sleeping bags. Similar quality, similar prices..

http://www.featheredfriends.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productId=2&CatId=1&ProductName=Hummingbird

I've been using a F. F. Peregrine for the past 10 - 12 years. Never have to zip it up, just lay it over me like a blanket. Always toasty warm....

As for a sleeping pad, I really like the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad. They also have longer and shorter versions...

http://www.rei.com/product/763953
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 2/5/2008, 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yep Hank them FF bags are good too. Also Valandre and Nunatak. I think the SD bag is fine for $109.
Now, before I recommend a pad might you tell me if you want a self-inflating or a blow it up yourself air mattress? (or closed cell foam, cheap, light, not horribly comfortable tho)

what i do
Patches

PostPosted: 2/5/2008, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think the self-inflating, but I'm not familiar with either. I just know I might have to carry it on my back, so whatever is lighter and still a good pad might be the best one. Everyone is helpful! Mr. Green
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 2/5/2008, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good score on the sleeping bag! I can't believe Mike recommended something that didn't cost a million dollars!
Hnak's recommendation of the Big Agnes sleeping pad is a good one, especially because it is thicker than a lot of other pads of the same weight. Thermarest makes a womens version of the Prolite 4, which is the pad my fiance has. She doesn't like it though. Even though it is cut to more closely match a woman's proportions, it does nothing to relieve the pressure on her hips when she is sleeping on her side. That's why I think a thicker pad is better, especially for women. Also, most self-inflating pads are so slow to inflate, that you'll end up blowing them up with your mouth anyway. If you do go the Big Agnes route, I believe their insulated pads have goose-down in them (I could be confusing with another brand). The stuff sack doubles as a pump to inflate the pad. You don't want to blow those up with your mouth, cause the condensation in your breath will mess up the down.

This is probably too much info.

If you need to buy a tent (if you don't borrow one), you should check out campmor.com. They always have great deals on stuff like that.

Do you need a backpack too?
Patches

PostPosted: 2/5/2008, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a plain big back pack (no frame) and I also have the Camelback "Peak Bagger". Iam hoping the peak bagger will work to carry and I will try to get the mule to carry the other bag (we are allowed to send 35 lbs. down on a mule).

Is the Big Agnes a heavy pad or real large?
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 2/5/2008, 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt is thinking of the Exped (outdoor research) downmat. BA pad uses primaloft one.

a one man tent might be found at REI outlet like this one which is the same thing as the Big Agnes seedhouse1- have it shipped to REI for free.

what i do
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/5/2008, 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

REI has a 20% off any one item at the outlet until the 7th.

A pad like this This
would sleep real nice. Takes about 2 minutes to blow up.

That setup would work pretty nice for you.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/5/2008, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Annie, I wouldn't use anything but an air mattress! I have gone through about 4 Thermarests and just never found any one of them comfortable. Once I bought my first BA I would never go back to the self inflating thermarest or the like. There is also a brand out there called....Insulmat that is worth checking out. They seem to be less expensive than BA and just as comfortable. The weight difference between the TR and the BA is so miniscule and I would say well worth any fraction of an ounce there may be!

I would suggest you try out both styles before you buy. It is also worth mentioning that if you buy the BA or Insulmat do NOT inflate completely. Fill it up then lay on it and let a bit of air out until it is comfortable and you don't slide around on it!

I want to shine!
oliverr99

PostPosted: 2/5/2008, 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl, I learned that from TomTreks, deflate the mattress. I do like that BA pad. It is nice. I have never slept so well, as I did on the BA. I toss and turn anyways, but it did keep me on the pad when I deflated.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 2/5/2008, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MikeInFHAZ wrote:
youre going to need a bag that will be warm even in the mid 30's (even if the weather is a low of 50- just in case)
a good bag, no, a great bag for the Canyon in April might be THIS ONE. This bag is a good introduction to down bags. Use coupon code SPUH57 at checkout for $109
if I can take your "best and lightest" request literally, then make no mistake- Western Mountaineering is the best and lightest in the world-period. I have some female hiking friends that use the (supposedly men's bag) WM Ultralite. Bar none- pay the $350 for one of these and you'll never have to buy a sleeping bag again.

I bought the Rock Creek Down sleeping bag. I have not had the chance to use it yet, but nice to see someone else says it is a good bag. I bought it because it was on sale, and looked like what I wanted.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 2/5/2008, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
There is also a brand out there called....Insulmat that is worth checking out. They seem to be less expensive than BA and just as comfortable.

yes, those were good too. they were made by Big Agnes actually.
I think they stopped production. Kurt still has one. Ya out there Cnyhkr?

Patches, I see you got the last one.. haha nice!

what i do
IGO

PostPosted: 2/5/2008, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Canyon HIke Reply to topic Reply with quote

Patches wrote:
Thanks!! I ordered the one from Sierra Trading Post. I will still have to find a pad, but I have a start!! Thanks again! Annie

If you are not going to hike in places like this very often, your Sierra Designs should serve you well. Especially if a buro is going to carry it. It's a bit heavy and won't compress very well but the 600 fill down bag is ample comfy and warm. Did you get the 30 degree bag?
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: