ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Epic Hike #3 (November)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 10/26/2003, 1:50 pm    Post subject: Epic Hike #3 (November) Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Epic Hike Selection Committee is looking for suggestions for next month's Epic Hike.

Some parameters....we'd like to be able to involve many of the support/greeting crew in the next Epic Hike, so maybe something not as "severe" as the previous two.

So, we're looking for hikes that could still be considered "epic" but that more members could participate in hiking (to some degree). Let's get a few suggestions and we'll put it to a vote.

"The Journey is the Destination"
ck1

PostPosted: 10/26/2003, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here's a suggestion

Rim Trail at Grand Canyon (Hermits Ridge to Yaki Point)
11 miles 640 ft elevation gain.

Here is a promenade everyone can enjoy. As its name suggests, this trail runs along the edge of the South Rim past many historic hotels and buildings. The views are specatcular, especially at dawn or dusk. Easy, with minimal grades and paved from Maricopa Point past Mather Point the Rim Trail is accessible to wheelchairs and strollers. Even leashed pets are permitted.

Here's how I justify it's "Epicness"...
1. It's the Grand Canyon.
2. It will/should be cold, thus allowing us to utilize often unused outdoor clothing and gear
3. Most anyone can participate to some degree.
4. Built in shuttle.
5. Did I mention it's the Grand Canyon

"The Journey is the Destination"
evenstar

PostPosted: 10/26/2003, 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Grand Canyon's a great idea. How 'bout Hermits trail to Dripping Spring or Santa Maria Spring. did the first last August (and got caught in a torrential, wind blown downpour coming out) and did Santa Maria Spring this past August. Both are very scenic, but not overly challenging. I'd rate both a 3 on difficulty and 1 on route finding. I'll work on getting myself back in some sort of decent shape in the meantime.
After watching Trish and Sheri leave me in their dust yesterday, I don't think they'd have any problems whatsoever. A lot depends on good weather tho'.....no ice on the trail. And, again depending on the weather, there are several options that I think we could all handle....So. Kaibab to Cedar Ridge or Skeleton point or even to the tip off.
Bright Angel to either of the rest houses or on to Indian Garden. Or, if weather sucks, do the rim trail. Something for everybody. Pretty sure I can be ready to handle any of these by mid November; the weekend before thanksgiving?
And don't forget dinner in the Arizona Room Very Happy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 10/26/2003, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GC North Rim hike to South Rim in November would be very cool 21 miles.

Highway dept is promising to keep the road plowed until at least Nov 15.

Shuttles would be a pain but we could always contract out if there was enough interest.
Hnak

PostPosted: 10/26/2003, 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did you say 'Canyon'? As in Grand Canyon? Them's the magic words...

I'm in. Hnak Very Happy

P.S. How's this for an interesting variation... Down the Hermit, across to Dripping Springs, from there up to the rim, then cross country back to Hermit's Rest along the rim...
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 10/26/2003, 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For another variation, down the Bright Angel to Indian Gardens, across the Tonto, up the Kiabab-11 miles. Would make good time heading down and across the Tonto, but a steep hike out.
This is one I have always wanted to do.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/27/2003, 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Keep me posted ...I am in ( as long as the dates work)

My thought: Have 2 options

Rim Trail --

S.Kaibab - Tonto-Bright Angel

This allows for a larger participation ...different effort levels and all with awsome views

I like the idea of Grand Canyon HIke

Another suggestion is for doing the Rainbow Trail ( N. Rim in Spring ---)
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 10/27/2003, 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Grand Canyon's a great idea.
After watching Trish and Sheri leave me in their dust yesterday, I don't think they'd have any problems whatsoever. A lot depends on good weather tho'.....no ice on the trail. And, again depending on the weather, there are several options that I think we could all handle....

I would love to do the Grand Canyon, so I will keep checking to see what everyone has decided. I'll keep the weekend of 15th and the 22nd open.

Hooli, thanks for the vote of confidence in me! Most of hiking is attitude and enthusiasm and you know I have that!! (TOM, keep quiet!! lol)

Colin, thanks for including all skill/experience levels in this next hike. I'm still more than happy to be at any Epic hike as the greeter when I can't do the hike! Friendship is the key!!

I'll keep watching this index!!!

Sherileeaz Cool
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/27/2003, 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Getting a hike going with all the differnt skill levels is a great idea. I know I for one want to get my husband involved in some of the hikes so I can get him out there more often. I want him to meet all you guys so he can feel "involved". He is by no means a weak hiker but doesn't feel the need to push the envelope like some of us do and I think he would have more fun if he wasn't expected to do so.

I will watch and see what developes and pray it works out on my week end off when I can go....Actually I only have the weekends of 1st and the 29th open so maybe I won't be able to make it. That is limiting things a bit isn't it?.... Oh I hate schedules! Why oh why can't I just hike when ever I want to ? Mr. Green

I want to shine!
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 10/27/2003, 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

dcornelius wrote:
so maybe I won't be able to make it. That is limiting things a bit isn't it?.... Oh I hate schedules! Why oh why can't I just hike when ever I want to ? Mr. Green

Diane, you and Ron have to come! Any time-off??? Call in "sick" cause your "sick of missing hikes!" OK OK, I guess I AM a bad influence!! I hope you can go!

Sherileeaz Cool
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/27/2003, 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How about doing something the weekend of Thanksgiving ....Is this asking for too much ?

We could gather at the Canyon Friday PM.
Do the hikes on Sat & return Sunday (This will allow people to plan according to personal preferences if they choose to return Saturday )
Daryl

PostPosted: 10/27/2003, 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun hike. Me and the wife might be there.

For epic hike 5 or 6... I've put rim to river to rim on the calander for march...
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/27/2003, 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Giving weekend works for me!

I want to shine!
evenstar

PostPosted: 10/27/2003, 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll be in Califorweirdnia Nov. 25, through Dec. 2
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 10/27/2003, 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I did the SK - Tonto - BA loop last Spring (late Spring) and found that stretch of the Tonto to be not very picturesque compared to BA & SK.

Suspect when things are in bloom this stretch would offer more than just the dry brush which seemed to be everywhere--pants are suggested for some of the trail was overgrown.

Of course BA & SK are both wonderful but what about a dayhike down Grandview to the caves?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: