ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
gps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnthemHiker

PostPosted: 1/1/2008, 11:36 am    Post subject: gps Reply to topic Reply with quote

Happy New Year! I'm starting to research a GPS and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Also any recommendations on a sleeping bag, not anything artic, just the basic to take on an overnight hike, etc.
thanks
Pete
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/1/2008, 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sleeping Bag--the REI sub-kilo 20 bag has served me very well for several years.

GPS--I'm hearing good things about the Magellen Triton series. The main thing is that is uses the National Geographic Topo Software, which are the USGS 7.5 min maps, which I've been using for years. I tried a Garmin with other maps recently, it was OK but I'm so used to the USGS I was a bit lost. Buy one so you can tell me how it works. : ) I understand there were some startup problems, and the REI sight links to a very negative review regarding support, so I"m holding off a bit till there is more information about them available. GPS Joe seems to know about these, mabye he'lll chime in.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 1/1/2008, 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Garmin is the gold-standard, especially the models with the SirfIII chipset. Their maps are OK. I personally do most of my mapping using Delorme Topo USA software. For building routes though, you might want to stick to the Garmin software. GPS Joe can probably give you the best information about different GPS units and various software. He definitely helped me when I was first getting interested in the available systems.

I recently purchased a Delorme gps and, surprisingly, I'm growing accustomed to it! Has a few quirks but for the most part, it's very good.

Whichever unit you purchase, you'll probably want to become familiar with a program called GPS Babel. It's freeware that translates gps data between different brands of software and hardware. I've used it to go from Magellan to Delorme and Garmin formats. Very handy.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 1/1/2008, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Garmin 60CX, 60CSX, 76CX or 76CSX are leading the pack of handheld GPSs useful for hiking and backpacking as of this moment. Most hkers I know who bought into these have chosen the 60CSX. Their performance under forest cover and in canyons is second to none. Many other GPSs will lose sattelite lock in these conditions but these Garmins do an excellent job there.

I am tracking developments for the new Magellan Triton series. They have had technical problems so far and I can't get a good review of their performance at this time. There are just not that many of them out there yet. So I am withholding my opinion until I get some convincing evidence. They are offering a lot of options which may be interesting to some. Like touch screen commands, voice recorder, 2MP camera, etc. I can see uses for these but if I find out that they EVER lose signal under forest cover then they will not satisfy me.
doug

PostPosted: 1/1/2008, 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a Garmin Etrax Legend HCx and like it.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/1/2008, 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Checkout IGO's page on the different mapping programs. I know he did this a while ago, so I don't know if they are up to date, but should give you a good idea of each.
http://www.thirdrockfrom.org/topos.htm
AnthemHiker

PostPosted: 1/1/2008, 8:04 pm    Post subject: gps Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it.
TrailHappy

PostPosted: 1/1/2008, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thesuperstitions wrote:

Whichever unit you purchase, you'll probably want to become familiar with a program called GPS Babel.

Thanks for this tip... I purchased a Garmin eTrex Legend a while back and went into shock when I found out how much they wanted for the maps!

One of these days maybe I'll have a chat with GPS Joe and learn how to use the darned thing... Wink
IGO

PostPosted: 1/1/2008, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Checkout IGO's page on the different mapping programs. I know he did this a while ago, so I don't know if they are up to date, but should give you a good idea of each.
http://www.thirdrockfrom.org/topos.htm

Mapping is still the same Tim.
Shawn

PostPosted: 1/1/2008, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, but it sure looks different. USGS is so ingrained in my I struggle converting. Found the same thing when we went from 1/2 inch to the mile to metric status maps in BLM, I was lost for a several trips. Tried to drive down a contour line more than once.
Sparkletron

PostPosted: 1/14/2008, 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

gpsjoe wrote:
They have had technical problems so far and I can't get a good review of their performance at this time. There are just not that many of them out there yet. So I am withholding my opinion until I get some convincing evidence.

I own the Triton 500 if you have any questions.

-S
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 1/14/2008, 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great Sparletron. I have been monitoring the Yahoo Triton users group discussions. The most recent complaints I have read is that the Tritons seem to be battery hogs and don't shut down completely when you turn them off. Also the file format that Triton uses is unique and Magellan has not yet released the file transfer protocol that can be used to convert waypoints, routes and tracks from Garmin or some other format to Triton format.

I am most interested in how well the Triton acquires sattelite signals in obstructed situations like under forest cover or in canyons or other difficult reception conditions like inside you house. All GPS units, even cheap ones, do well when they are given an unobstruced view to the sky so that is not interesting.

At the present time, the sense I get from the yahoo users who have the units is that technical problems remain. I believe that Magellan will fix many of these over time. They make fine receivers. I used a Magellan Meridian Gold for several years and it was the best out there for a few years but I switched to a Garmin 60CX which just blew it away in reception and speed capabilities.

Sicne I love my toys, I will switch again but I must be convinced that it is a better mousetrap and I don't quite see it yet.

If you could summarize your experiences with it and give us your opinion that would help. Thanks!!
Sparkletron

PostPosted: 1/14/2008, 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I posted the first review of this unit on Amazon. Basically it will need a few firmware updates before it's ready for prime-time. I won't be able to test it in a real-world backpacking scenario until March or April.

Right now I would tell you to stick with Garmin unless you already own TOPO and use it a lot.

-S
Shawn

PostPosted: 1/14/2008, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll be very interested in your review as well. I do fall into the "own TOPO and use it alot" category and I have a big gift cert for REI so I'm primed to buy one if it proves itself. Could also go with the Garmin which I'm getting aquainted with at work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: