ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Charlebois Loop II, from the Book (Carlson's)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 7:51 pm    Post subject: Charlebois Loop II, from the Book (Carlson's) Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cactuscat and Arizonaheat were on the trail shortly before 7, our mission , Charlebois Loop II, from the Book (Carlson’s Hiking the Superstitions).

The minute I got out of my truck my mistress immediately wrapped her fingers gently around my heart, pulling me toward Miners Needle via the Dutchman. As she pulled me deeper into her confines a serene sense of calm and tranquility overtook my being. With Miners Needle in sight, the sun began to rise behind some of her peaks. The sky was soon aglow with various colors of orange. As we passed in front of Miners Needle the sun cast its first rays, caressing the summit and the eye of the needle.

We began the climb up past the Miners Needle and soon found ourselves on the Whiskey Springs Trail. By now the sky was a brillant blue that soothed the eyes. Our first stop on our journey was Whiskey Spring. It appeared as if it was not running, but there was a small pool of water.

We continued up the Whiskey Spring Trail to the Red Tanks Trail, where we would pass La Barge Spring, which is located about 200 yards off the trail. We made our way to La Barge Spring which was a green oasis in the desert, with a decent flow of water.

At the point where we left the trail to go to La Barge Spring we came upon a couple, camping right on the trail. The female counterpart of the group, when pointing to the direction of the spring, exposed a thicket of jungle so dense, that it made our Bull Basin bushwhack look like nothing. Cactuscat and I both agreed, we had just seen unwhackable bush. It should be stated the same female counterpart was sporting a magnificent rack. Laughing Embarassed

From La Barge Spring we continued up the trail to where Red Tanks and Dutchman Trail intersect. From there we made our way up the Dutchman to Charlebois Spring, which has a good flow. On our way to Charlebois we passed through a large camp of at least 12 people.

We arrived at Charlebois around 10:30, distance to this point around 9 miles. We took about an hour break at Charlebois taking in the scenery and solitude, then it was back on the Dutchman for the return trip, which we would follow until it intersects the Bluff Spring Trail. The next stop was the magnificent, stately giant Saguaro that sports 57 arms and is listed in the National Registry. It is truly a sight to behold.

We followed the Bluff Springs Trail back to the Peralta parking lot. We located the actual Bluff Spring on our way and it to still had a flow. We then continued down the trail a about ˝ mile beyond where Bluff Springs and the Terrapin intersect. We deceided these flat rocks were a good place to take a break, so we removed our daypacks and began to sit down. I looked across the way and there was a rock with the sun shining on it just right, and Peralta’s signature carved into it. Way cool.

From here we made our way the rest of the way down Bluff Springs, checking out the “trail” to Upper Barks, for a future adventure, and then back to the vehicle where it was time to celebrate the days adventure with some beer.

In summary we found and checked out four different springs, saw some unwhackable bush, touched one of the largest if not the largest saguaros known to man with 57 arms, and found a rock with Peralta’s signature etched in it. It was truly another great day with my mistress, Lady Superstition, she treated us well. Total hiking distance for this hike with side trips to the springs is 16+ m
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow!! That sounds truly magnificent.I am soooo envious!! Thanks for the great description! Feel like I was there!! Wink
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm envious. I'm glad to hear the springs are running.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey--what a great day. I understand mistress--my canyon calls to me like that. Mary
dennisbench

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cool trip description AZ, sounded like a great time. Being in N Phoenix I don't make it over to the Supes as much as I'd like.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/11/2003, 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another absolutely excellent day in the Supes! Arizonaheat pretty much covered it all - four springs in one day (and water in all of them!) and the jolliest green giant of a saguaro I've ever seen made it a very rewarding day. Mr. Green
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Being from Flagstaff, moving to North Phoenix, I have never been to the Supes. Crying or Very sad It's a place I would love to go to, but have never had the chance.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Nealz

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat-

Very nice review. I've looked at the map and put that hike together, but never hiked it. Now I want to more than ever. Thanks. Very Happy

-Nealz
Kristyn

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great right up!!! Wish I could have made that one! Next time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: