ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Inca Trail to Machu Picchu?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/14/2007, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Inca Trail to Machu Picchu? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have anybody done the 4 day trip on the Inca trail to Machu Picchu? My cousin (Rob) is hiking next month with some friends, just wondering what I need to outfit him with and he was looking for some general advice on the trip as well.

-TIM-
paintninaz

PostPosted: 11/14/2007, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cans of Chunky soup and a 12 pack of beer? Wink

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/14/2007, 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim,

One of my trip partners from Kilimanjaro just finished the hike recently. Her feedback was nothing big regular hiking gear & she sent me this link for info. So here goes...

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/66c5f/187bb7/b/
KFarm

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

From my experiance most everything except clothing. personal items, and a sleeping bag/backback was supplied by the guide/tour company. Almost any tour site will have a list of recommended items to bring. I know hiking poles/walking sticks were prohibited (unless you were elderly)as they damage the stone trail, so I would leave those at home. One of the best things I used was a 3-way jacket from Columbia. This allowed me to be ready for all the elements with one jacket and it worked great. This is truely one of the most amazing places on earth, hope he has a great time. My Pictures

From Inca Trail Peru

Quote:
What to bring

The key to packing for a trip to Peru is to pack for a variety of conditions while keeping the weight to a minimum. Easier said than done when you have to deal with the intense heat of the equatorial sun and the cold mountain nights spent camping on the Inca Trail. The best way to deal with these extremes is to dress using several layers rather than one thick jumper. If you forget something, don't despair since most things can be bought in most Peruvian cities frequently visited by tourists including excellent and cheap alpaca jumpers.

Suggested Inca Trail packing list:

01. Backpack (65 liters should be quite sufficient).

02. Comfortable walking boots with good ankle support.

03. Sleeping bag (can be rented in Cusco)

04. Clothes

2 pairs long trousers (lightweight)

2 T-shirts

1 short-sleeved shirt

1 long-sleeved shirt

1 pair shorts

Underwear and socks (thermal underwear is highly recommended, being light, warm and makes good nightwear on cold nights).

05. Fleece jacket

06. Rain jacket or poncho

07. Hat or cap to protect from the sun.

08. Toiletries: soap, toothbrush, toothpaste & toilet papaer etc.

09. Sun cream, lip salve, sun glasses.

10. Flashlight

11. Basic first aid kit.

12. Insect repellent.

13. Money belt + passport + emergency money

14. Camera + film (film can easily be bought in Peru and is of excellent quality).

15. Water bottle (mineral water can be bought throughout Peru)

16. Water purification tablets (Micropur tablets can be bought in Cusco and are very efficient).

Optional extras include:-

17. Binoculars

John Wayne
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I don't think he is going with a tour group, just some college friends and spending a few weeks down there. I will give him the info though. Sure looks awesome, just need to wait for airfair to go down before I try and go there.
KFarm

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just an FYI,

If he is on his own, I still think he is required to hire a porter, which typically is done through one of the tour groups. Additionally, there is a limit on the required permits for the trail (I think 500 per day). Again the tour companies buy a majority of the permits up for their own use, but I am sure they would be willing to sell extras for a price.

John Wayne
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah he mentioned needing to get the permits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: