ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
2008 GHOTM Ideas?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Davis2001R6
PostPosted: 11/12/2007, 1:56 pm    Post subject: 2008 GHOTM Ideas? Reply with quote

Ok here is the list for the GHOTM's for 2008 and the hike leaders/organizers.

January - Table Top Mountain - Leader: Davis2001r6
February - Pumphouse Wash - Leader: Hikngrl
March - Harquahala Peak - Leader: sbkelley
April - Paria/Cottonwood Area - Leader: PageRob
May - Diane's B-day Grand Canyon hike
June - Wet Beaver Creek- Leader: Suz and Davis2001r6!
July - Chircahua Crest Trail - Canceled do to rain
August 23rd- West Fork Wade - Leader: Davis2001r6
September 13/14th Chircahua Crest Trail - Leader: Shawn
October -
November - Superstion Ridgeline
December -

threedogz

PostPosted: 11/17/2007, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

PageRob wrote:
I'd like to propose something up this way for one of the hikes. Paria Box, upriver from the narrows? Painted Desert? Snake Gulch backpack? Something out on the Rez, maybe? I know that it may be hard for some of you to get up here and hike, but its pretty hard for me to make it south of Flagstaff for a hike as well.

I like the idea of traveling up to many of the areas suggested by Rob.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 11/17/2007, 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Theres a ton of stuff on the AZ strip. Upper Paria is an easy backpack if you enter at Willis Creek and could be done in two days if you want to hump it.
There are many photo hikes in the southern end of Cottonwood Canyon Rd that could be some short day hike combos with car camping. There is some nice in and out backpacking with side exploring in there too.
Snake Gulch is if you are a petro/picto fan, the canyon is nice but not tremendous.
Of course you are in the area of Buckskin and Coyote Buttes and all that too.

It's a little far for me unless I have more that a few days and it'll be really cold up there soon.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/17/2007, 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would just like to see more hikes planned. Whether it be GHOTM, Members Hikes or whatever you want to call them.

Rob I would love to see some stuff up North, I haven't seem much at all up there. I wouldn't mind having to take a day off to make it happen either.

I tend to stay pretty active in the spring, but come summer stay home bound a lot more. So if it takes a trip up North thats fine with me.
PageRob

PostPosted: 11/17/2007, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The idea of a Cottonwood Canyon day with slot canyons and such, and then a Paria Box day, with car camping in between sounds appealing to me. Then again, so does some more Painted Desert exploration as an overnight backpack. I'm open to pretty much anything up here, if there's some place y'all want to really see, though.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/18/2007, 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom Treks wrote:
desertgirl wrote:
Rob -- It does not have to be a group hike of the month either....

I think the GHOTM thing has come down to this kind of response.
I have participated in quite a few GHOTMs in the past few years, and have come to the conclusion that not everyone who originally "agreed" to the GHOTM theme has enough free time to participate. At least this is the recent trend. Doesn't make sense to keep the hikes designated as "GHOTM".

My .02

Tom...

1) We have discussed this at length almost every year about how GHOTM need to be close to town & allow people to participate that don't have the whole weekend free or want travel long distances. My comment was based on this premise & just to indicate we can post non GHOTM as well.
2) Life happens -- Yes I would like to attend everything I sign up but life gets in the way- some because I want it to others because I don't have a choice. Your comments here and in a few prior threads this year give me the impression - People who sign up & then back out are not welcome. This leads me to not want to sign up for anything - just in case something comes up.
3) We now have over time developed preference of who we hike with, how we hike, where we hike .... which also leads to selective /limited participation. I would have loved to do Ridgeline but the general drift of discussion after West fork indicate this group did not want the added responsibility of split groups so I did not to go. In GHOTMs past, I did not worry about such things ... I knew I was welcome to come & the group would watchout for each other. Things have changed quite a bit over the past few years...

That said -- I do like your suggestion of 3-4 hikes a year tagged as AZH Member hike. I also would like to see more hikes posted on the site that folks can join in with feeling pressured to "commit" months in advance.

Just my point of view ....
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ambika,

Your points above are exactly what I was talking about. And that's good that you now think twice about signing up for a GHOTM prematurely.

Everyone used to be a lot more dedicated to the GHOTM effort. Turn out was a great deal larger than it is today.

I guess folks would need to spend the time and effort to put one of these together to know what I'm trying to say. It isn't one of the easiest things to deal with.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom Treks wrote:

I guess folks would need to spend the time and effort to put one of these together to know what I'm trying to say. It isn't one of the easiest things to deal with.

I think we're off to a great start already! I think this might be Tim's first AZH GHOTM lead and PageRob has jumped into the mix!

This year we had some new leads, too! Didn't Tony lead his first AZH GHOTM with one of the biggest turn outs of the year?

I'm sort of liking the Group Climb of the Month idea!!! I'm a long way off from being the one to set this sort of a gig up though.

desertgirl wrote:

I would have loved to do Ridgeline but the general drift of discussion after West fork indicate this group did not want the added responsibility of split groups so I did not to go.

oh Crying or Very sad I had gotten clearance for a special flight/split groups but thought it was prior committments that kept you away.

Anyway----yes, growing new blood or new leadership is a challenge in all walks of life. It takes time to cultivate.

Let's hike.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
I'm a long way off from being the one to set this sort of a gig up though

Funny how the folks most vocal about the GHOTM situation are the ones least willing to lead one.

By all means, be my guest.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom Treks wrote:
Suz wrote:
I'm a long way off from being the one to set this sort of a gig up though

Funny how the folks most vocal about the GHOTM situation are the ones least willing to lead one.

By all means, be my guest.

Wait...........am I the most vocal? Embarassed I'm not criticizing anyone, nor am I attacking personal thoughts and ideas. I'm just saying yeah, it's a huge responsibility and I don't have enough confidence in my skills to take the lead...........especially for a CLIMBING gig.
PageRob

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Alright, I've gotten a few PMs and such about the idea of something up north having a certain appeal to some folks. I'm more than willing to lead this sort of trek, I suppose. Not entirely sure what folk expect, but I'm comfortable taking a group out. When we've done the Painted Desert trips, there's just loose organization. We all end up at the same spots, generally, just at our own pace. Having never been to/on a GHOTM I don't know if its more structured than that. I'd consider turning the 3rd Semi-Annual Painted Desert Rendezvous into a GHOTM this next year, either the spring or the fall, provided my co-conspirator in these efforts agrees (Matt, any thoughts?). Otherwise to Paria Box sounds fun and its pretty. Could be a nice car camping trip, with dinner (depending on the time of year) at the Paria Outpost. YUM!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
1) We have discussed this at length almost every year about how GHOTM need to be close to town & allow people to participate that don't have the whole weekend free or want travel long distances.

This is true, and yet if you read through the pages of previous discussions over the years, many of the suggestions for GHOTMs still end up being to places that require long drives for most , and folks initially are all gung-ho to place it on the calendar, but interest fizzles or gas prices rise, and all the excuses surface once the hike approaches.

desertgirl wrote:
In GHOTMs past, I did not worry about such things ... I knew I was welcome to come & the group would watchout for each other. Things have changed quite a bit over the past few years...

We discuss this almost every year also…I think initially we tried to keep the level of difficulty relatively low (aside from the designated “epics”) so that all would be welcome and responsibility of others did not fall on any one leader. Years ago more folks were content with just moderate hikes that all were capable of doing and we had great turnouts with those, now it seems we always have to have 2 hike options. I think as we tried to gear hikes towards providing multiple levels of difficulty (including several variations at each location and such) to accommodate the variety of hiking styles, in addition to creating a potential nightmare for the trip coordinator we also compromised hiking TOGETHER as a GROUP. Wasn’t that the real purpose of the GHOTM to begin with? Confused

Tom Treks wrote:
Everyone used to be a lot more dedicated to the GHOTM effort. Turn out was a great deal larger than it is today.

I agree. Used to be people would place the GHOTM on their calendar and plan other hikes around those dates, I don’t get the feeling this is necessarily the case with most people anymore. Response seems to be more “if my other plans don’t pan out, I’ll try to make this”.

desertgirl wrote:
I also would like to see more hikes posted on the site that folks can join in with feeling pressured to "commit" months in advance.

seems to be a catch-22...it's hard to plan a GHOTM for next July if you have no idea if anyone is willing to show up, and on the other hand, it's hard to commit to a GHOTM for next July if you aren't willing to schedule your other plans around it (and I'm not talking unavoidable things that just come up) Seems the scheduling is the probelm...maybe less structure is the way to go? Chaotic hiking? Crazy dunno

If someone has a hike they think the group would like, toss it out there and we can mold it together as a group. Hiking

Those are my coins on the subject. Wink

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I do agree its a catch 22 issue - may be a better approach would be to plan ahead for 3-4 months. We know we have a few anchor epic events but for the other events why not try to finalize the weekend may be 2 months (perhaps 3 except for one that require permits) out so people have a better idea on what they can commit to.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

PageRob wrote:
Alright, I've gotten a few PMs and such about the idea of something up north having a certain appeal to some folks. I'm more than willing to lead this sort of trek, I suppose. Not entirely sure what folk expect, but I'm comfortable taking a group out. When we've done the Painted Desert trips, there's just loose organization. We all end up at the same spots, generally, just at our own pace. Having never been to/on a GHOTM I don't know if its more structured than that. I'd consider turning the 3rd Semi-Annual Painted Desert Rendezvous into a GHOTM this next year, either the spring or the fall, provided my co-conspirator in these efforts agrees (Matt, any thoughts?). Otherwise to Paria Box sounds fun and its pretty. Could be a nice car camping trip, with dinner (depending on the time of year) at the Paria Outpost. YUM!

Hey Rob----do you have a particular time frame in mind?
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
I do agree its a catch 22 issue - may be a better approach would be to plan ahead for 3-4 months. We know we have a few anchor epic events but for the other events why not try to finalize the weekend may be 2 months (perhaps 3 except for one that require permits) out so people have a better idea on what they can commit to.

You see, this is one of my biggest beefs with heading up a GHOTM. People sign up like 6 months ahead of time, and yet find that they can't make it, and usually it's a week (or a few days) prior. People just don't commit any more. Yeah, yeah, life gets in the way.... I say B.S... Even trip leaders bail out these days. It just isn't the same Group Hike Of The Month thing it used to be.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/19/2007, 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Since everyone agrees it's a catch 22 I will as well. I try and plan stuff far in advance too, so that I can put something firm on the calendar. But at the same time things do change and sometime the week of.

You know Tom not everyone can take off at whatever time they want every Friday. That makes it a heck of a lot easier to make the long drive out to some places and not have to drive in Sat morning after waking up at 2am to make it to the hike on time.

The January hike for instance I wanted to get a date so people could plan it out in advance.

Personally I could car less if people bail out at the last minute. As long as they were not being counted on to participate in a vehicle shuttle. I like hiking with groups, not 20 people like we had for some hikes in the past but 5-10 is a nice group for hiking. More than that and the hikes take a lot longer, more waiting for people, longer breaks etc.

Lets just blame this all on Daddee, heck he has 1000 post per hike he actually attends rofl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 3 of 20

Jump to: