ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Fishing AZ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 10/5/2003, 4:46 pm    Post subject: Fishing AZ Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, my father-in-law comes to town in about a week. I'm wanting to take him fishing. I'm thinking maybe the Salt or out at either Apache or Canyon lakes...

Anybody here an angler that could give me a couple of suggestions?

"The Journey is the Destination"

PostPosted: 10/6/2003, 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Colin, If your willing to drive a bit farther and want to do creek fishing I'd recommend East Clear Creek. Access it at Kinder Crossing and the hike is an easy jaunt. Or you can go farther down the road and park creekside. There are great pools and there are some big fish in there. I always catch at least 2 in the 16-18 inch range. There are alot of 8-10 inchers also. Use lures or cicada's. My son was there this weekend and came back with some beautiful rainbows. They were so colorful and the meat looked just like salmon. Farther east there are the Greer 'lakes'. I use a rapalla there and never get skunked. Then of course in the same area there is nice 'river' fishing also. I'm not one for fishing the desert lakes. I fish for trout. The Salt is suppose to hold some trophy trout but I can't say from experience. Wherever you go I'm sure it'll be a good time.
Daryl

PostPosted: 10/6/2003, 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not a fisher, but talking to my kayak buddies in the past the only thing that gets fished out of the lower Salt is beer cans, swim suits and some really ugly, really big, cat fish.

I'd suggest renting a canoe on Watson Lake in Prescott. Even if you don't catch a fish you'll have a great day and it's only an hour and a half from here.

PostPosted: 10/6/2003, 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One other note: The lower salt river got shut down for the winter over the weekend, thus it will be nothing but stagnant water and will be very low.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: