ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
water bottle w/ filter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 9/13/2007, 8:37 pm    Post subject: water bottle w/ filter Reply to topic Reply with quote

Seems that there are more and more compact, portable, cheap water purifiers hitting the market every day.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 9/13/2007, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

there was a recent discussion of this on Backpackinglight.com, please note that the US dollar price for this item is something like $385!
check out what these folks had to say... man oh man I love gear but this stuff is getting rediculous, wouldnt you agree, Jared?

what i do
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 9/14/2007, 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I didn't know the price - but yes, $400 is a bit stupid.

I do think it's funny that people still think that a portable filter can actually "filter" out viruses (in the thread a number of people mentioned that, despite someone pointing out the fallacy of that idea early on in the thread).

The iodine filter debate still somewhat amuses me as well.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Sparkletron

PostPosted: 9/15/2007, 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
I do think it's funny that people still think that a portable filter can actually "filter" out viruses

I'm one of those funny people who believe filters can do that. But then I've worked in biopharm where such filters (or columns as we call them) are commonly used.

That being said, I don't think filters are a good choice for backpacking. You will always want some cheap disposable pre-filter to remove the sediment and what not. But the actual job of sterilization should be UV.

The future of water treatment is UV LEDs. Low power, small, and much more rugged than Aqua Star and similar products. Unfortunately, they're still in the labs at this point.

-S
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/15/2007, 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Never had a problem in the 3 years I've been using the MSR mini-works ex, on my winter grand canyon trip as well as my summer sierra trip didn't even use a filter or any treatment method for that matter.

Maybe I'm do for a virus or something, I'll take one every 4 years though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: