ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
First Impressions on new gear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 9/10/2007, 11:41 am    Post subject: First Impressions on new gear Reply to topic Reply with quote

While I do not rival Tom or Tim in my gear closet I had some new toys to try out on the trail recently.

Black Diamond Hilight tent--
Pros-- light, and very large for one person. On line trail weight varies from 2.6 lbs to 3 lbs. My scale 2lbs 10 ounces. Large side door for optimal viewing. Two mesh vents at top, for good circulation. One night after rain and humidity had very little condensation (this is a single wall tent). Next rainy event had some wind off and on after and no condensation. Stored all gear in tent with plenty of room to sit up and change. Cooked in tent ( not recommended). Small awnings prevent rain from coming in tent while you have mesh vents open.
Cons--you must seam seal it yourself, kinda costly, shake rain off door for in and out or some water will drip into tent.

Overall I was pleased with it.

Sea to Summit Sil tarp/poncho--- I was looking for dual use items. For on the trail in calm rainy events this is great. Covers backpack and you and I paired it with rain pants. It has tabs/grommits and can be used also as a tarp. Very light.

Odor proof bags---I forget who makes these; at REI and Summit Hut--also make waterproof bags. Look like fancy ziplocks. This large and light bag was stated to be odorproof for storage of food in bear country. I slept eveynight in bear country with my food in this bag in my tent. A little fussy to seal, but when you open it you can smell the difference, as odors are let out. Not expensive, have different sizes, and can double as a bag to contain wet items in, such as a tent while on the trail. We didn't see much in the way of bear sign so I don't know if was effective or not. But I like the idea.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 9/10/2007, 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had a Golite tarp/poncho and was pretty excited about it for the first few months that I used it (see my Colorado pics in the gallery for me underneath it) but after awhile it lost it's luster. This might be the SUL in me but at 11 oz it wasn't worth it to me. Now I use the spinnaker tarp that has a lot more ground coverage at half the weight and the golite ether provides enough water resistancy for me. If I know that we're gonna get poured on I'll just skip the ether and bring a water proof jacket and bring along some garbage bags. Just my opinion on tarp/ponchos

*EDIT I thought that pic was in the Gallery, maybe it isn't though

Kerouac
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 9/10/2007, 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just to keep things going off topic as always....

FW hows the heep....err I mean jeep?

Now loosely back on topic...

11oz for a tarp is WAY too heavy. My TT Rainbow is a true shelter with enough bug free/ rain protection for two in a pinch and very spacious for one and his/her gear. All this for a whopping 32oz. It is hard for me to go for the tarp thing, unless it is over a hammock.

-Hunter S. Thompson
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 9/10/2007, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Same as when you left Very Happy

Kerouac
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 9/10/2007, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

so you're afraid of bugs but your avatar is an ant. you Virginians are a strange bunch.
the bags are prolly made by aloksack

what i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: