ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Show and Tell - My Summer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 9/5/2007, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Show and Tell - My Summer Reply to topic Reply with quote

What I did this summer, a show and tell story. Please don’t try to view all of the pictures, there are too many even for me. Just click on a few that appear interesting to preserve your sanity.

DINOSAUR NATIONAL MONUMENT

Gates of Lodore – July 10 through July 13, 2007

This was a 4 day, 3night rafting trip down the Green River starting from the Lodore Ranger station near the Gates of Lodore and finishing at the Boat Ramp near the Split Mountain campground. It covers 44 miles of the Green River, 24 miles in Colorado and 20 miles in Utah going past Echo Park and the confluence of the Yampa and Green Rivers. The scenery is spectacular and the Holiday Expeditions crew and my fellow passengers were great. Nine of the 12 passengers were real estate people from Texas and naturally a very sociable group.

This was the first rafting trip for me ever and I got into it because my son gave it to me for last years birthday. I’m glad I did it but I’m not used to having life be so easy.

FRISCO/DILLON AREA

Eccles Pass – July 15, 2007 with pictures by GB

GB with her husband Bud and their 2 Labs, Boris and Jupiter, had a place in Frisco and I had a place in Dillon and we did 5 hikes together this week. It’s a good thing because I later lost my camera on Mount Sneffels so these shots were done by GB. Eccles Pass and most others we did were very scenic. We manage to top out at 12,350 feet on our first hike at high elevation.

Notch Mountain – July 16, 2007 with pictures by GB

Notch Mountain gives the best view of the “Holy Cross”. We topped out at 13,100 feet on our second hike.

Mount Elbert (14,433) – July 17, 2007 with pictures by GB

On hike 3 we went to the second highest peak in the US (excluding Alaska). There are hiking super humans especially in Colorado. See the picture of the bearded bare chested guy in the picture set. He regularly jogs up and down to Elbert with little effort and believe me it is cold on top at that elevation.

Buffalo Peaks Loop - July 18, 2007 (lost camera and pictures)

This 12 miler is described in “100 Classic Hikes in Colorado”, Scott S. Warren, a Moutaineers Guide book. GB did not go on this one. It was a pleasant day hike although not spectacular.

Mount Democrat (14,148) and Mount Cameron (14,238 feet) – July 19, 2007 with pictures by GB

Two 14ers on one hike although Cameron is considered part of Lincoln (even though it’s a true peak with a drop to a saddle before the ascent to Lincoln). We did not do nearby Lincoln or Bross this time because we were scared off the mountain by threatening clouds. Would rather not get fried.

Wheeler Pass – July 20, 2007 with pictures by GB

A nice climb from the Copper Mountain Ski resort area to a saddle where you can clearly see Breckenridge on the other side of the mountain.

OURAY AREA

Mount Sneffels (14,150 feet) – July 22, 2007

GB’s week was up and the rest of the story is me alone. Sneffels is very near Ouray, Colorado. The upper part of Sneffels requires some rock climbing and a steep down climb over the rocks. It was on the down climb that my camera must have escaped. I had enough sense to protect my wallet but I didn’t protect the camera. I salvaged some pictures because I was carrying a shirt pocket Kodak V705 that happens to have dual lenses including a fixed 23 mm lens which is what attracted me to it in the first place.

PAGOSA SPRINGS AREA

Four Mile and Anderson Trails Loop – August 18, 2007

A 14 mile loop including several waterfalls two of which were very impressive. Also passes Four Mile lakes and Pagosa Peak. A great hike! At the end of this photo set are two short videos of the impressive waterfalls. Do double click on those to get some of the sight and sounds of the waterfalls.

Williams and Indian Creeks – August 19, 2007

A nice easy hiking day to both creeks. Continuing across the creeks would have required a wet crossing which is not a big deal but I didn’t want to do that on this day.

Quartz Lake- August 20, 2007

This was a fine hike going from about 10,000 feet elevation to 12,100 feet then hiking across the top of the mountain eventually descending to 11,600 feet where you find Quartz lake rimmed by pine trees. A very scenic hike. There were 4 tents hidden in the pine trees and a few campers mulling around the lake.

Alberta Peak – August 21, 2007

This was my tribute to the Continental Divide Trail. I always wanted to do a piece of that so I got on it at Wolf Creek Pass which has been immortalized in a Country song about truckers. This area gets the most snow of any in Colorado and the Pass is closed much of the year. There is also a ski resort there.

Pagosa Peak - August 22, 2007

My birthday hike and the scariest one I did all summer. The entire trail is very steep but the top part features hiking over hard rock with lots of little loose granite type rock on steep slopes. Kinda feels like marbles under your feet and makes it exciting especially when descending from the peak.

Piedra River - August 23, 2007 and July 2, 2005

A very pleasant hike along a nice river. I added a few shots to my 2005 photo set since this was my second hike there.

BRECKENRIDGE AREA

Quandary Peak (14,265 feet) – August 25,2007

Intended to be 2.7 miles (5.4 miles roundtrip) and 3,300 feet of elevation gain if done from trailhead off of Forest road 851, I managed to turn this into a 9.8 mile loop with 4,000+ of elevation by following a sign clearly posted on route 9 that clearly read Quandary Peak and had an arrow pointing to a trailhead parking lot. And so did 3 other people. If I had read the 14ers book by Gary Roach that I had with me, I would have known better but I got sucked in by the road sign. I hiked with the 3 others and at some point we came unglued having different opinions about the off-trail route to pursue. I made it to the peak, they did not. My GPS did not reveal the trail but it did keep my on heading directly to the peak and eventually I intersected the trail that everybody else was using.

This was Saturday and 14ers are popular. So the pictures will show the pilgrimage of hikers, families, dogs and mountain goats as well. This was the only hike where I encountered mountain goats and on the return trip there were 7 of them right near the trail. These fellows have become comfortable in close proximity to the hikers.

McCullough Gulch – August 26,2007

An easy hike to an Alpine lake at 12,000 feet with 2 impressive waterfalls. At the end of this photo set are 2 videos of the lower and upper waterfalls. The upper falls are particularly impressive

Mount Sherman (14,036 feet) – August 27,2007

Possibly the easiest of Colorado’s 14ers. The hike features the ruins of a lot of mine structures. I started early but I was back at my car by 11:30 AM. A good hike to start your 14er career before proceeding onto more difficult treks.

Gray’s (14,270 feet) and Torrey’s (14,267 feet) Peaks - August 28, 2007

Two 14ers in one 8.5 mile trek and a very nice hike at that.

Peak 10 and Crystal Peak - August 29, 2007

I drove the 4WD to lower Crystal lake and hiked to these two 13er peaks. Peak 10 is at 13,633 and Crystal peak is at 13,852 feet. Under 14k these don’t get as many visitors but are very nice. Had to hike off-trail to the peaks up and down steep slopes with lots of loose rock. It gets your attention when even the big rocks move around a bit,

Hoosier Pass and Higher - August 30, 2007

This was my last day and I had no agenda. Decided to go to Hoosier Pass and see what kind of trouble I could get into. Drove a 4WD road on top till it was closed off because of private property. Went back to the pass and decided to walk across route 9 and explore the other side. Hiked a mile on a closed jeep trail to a communications tower and then across a field and up a gently rising ridgeline that took me to 13,200 feet and 3 miles past the comm tower. A very pleasant hike and spectacular views some 1,700 feet above the Pass itself. I want to go back there.

Looking back, although I didn’t really plan it this way, the first week of my 66th year on the planet I summited 4 - 14ers plus 3 – 13ers. Not a bad week at all. Thanks for travelling with me.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 9/5/2007, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

WOW...when I get a few free moments I will check out your galleries Wink ...just wanted to say you and GB are truly an inspiration! Keep it up, you still have many miles left!
Abe

PostPosted: 9/5/2007, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome! thumbs up
beckett

PostPosted: 9/6/2007, 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What fun! I love Show and Tell!!
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/6/2007, 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh My, what a lovely summer vacation.... Thanks Joe for sharing. Will be checking out the gallery as my time permits.

Sounds wonderful to be able to see so many places.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 9/6/2007, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You guys had a great itinerary and definitely hit some of the most beautiful parts of the State. Those 14'ers are addicting, aren't they?
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/6/2007, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh my! Can't wait to check out all the pictures! What a summer!

I want to shine!
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 9/6/2007, 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Now THAT'S a summer vacation!!! (OK, is my envious side showing? Embarassed )
sbkelley

PostPosted: 9/7/2007, 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow. That's all there is to say. What an adventure!

You know, what you did there takes some folks a lifetime to see - good stuff and great pictures!
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 9/7/2007, 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice summer trip report. Enjoyed the pics. BTW, I think you meant Mt. Cameron, not Mt. Monroe.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 9/7/2007, 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cameron it is, Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: