ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Aravaipa After the Floods
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
strawlady

PostPosted: 9/3/2007, 8:57 am    Post subject: Aravaipa After the Floods Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just returned from a weekend in Aravaipa, so for those interested, I wanted to let you know its still gorgeous and a really easy hike for beginning backpacking. It has been ten years since I've been in there, but from what I remember, its definitely more open so you can hike alongside the stream more than in the stream. No real trail though, so hiking poles are a must. There is more debris on the sides, so the stream has narrowed, but there is still lots of green vegetation. I think it makes the side canyons more accessible and the hiking easier. I posted my photos at: http://picasaweb.google.com/strawladyhikes/Aravaipa
I was with a couple ladies who don't hike much, so we didn't get past Virgus side canyon, but it left me wanting more. Still a really pretty canyon, in my opinion.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/3/2007, 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the pictures, I made it there twice before floods. Sure does look a lot more open now. Were there any decent campsites next to the stream / off to the side at all?
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 9/3/2007, 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice photos Carolyn and nice new avatar as well!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 9/3/2007, 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I never made it there before the flood (in fact, I had a permit and was ready to go but that flood washed out my trip! Sad ) so I have nothing to compare, but it sure looks nice enough now. Thanks for the pics. Ok

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
IGO

PostPosted: 9/3/2007, 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey straw, nice new avitar. It looks like you. I got a new one too.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
evenstar

PostPosted: 9/3/2007, 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:

Eek
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
IGO

PostPosted: 9/3/2007, 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Poo on you too Hoo! Razz
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/3/2007, 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
IGO wrote:

Eek

Hmmmmm......
strawlady

PostPosted: 9/3/2007, 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you - I figured out how to save a file in smaller size for the web and got a new photo from one of the ladies I was hiking with in Aravaipa. Yes, there were some really nice campsites. The photo with the green grass and cottonwoods (or are they sycamores? - green trees) was taken from our campsite. We talked to the ranger before we went in and he said the south side of the river just beyond Virgus has quite a few campsites. Some people were camped at some nice places from about 3 hours in and on up the canyon. The water was really warm - great swimming.
strawlady

PostPosted: 9/3/2007, 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As an added note, you can only enter from the west end. I don't think this is because of flood damage, but because of the lady who owns land at the east entrance refusing to open it. One of the ladies I hiked with kind of knows her and said her family has owned this land for generations, so it is not likely she will sell it. So, I guess it's up to the courts. Does anyone know a status on this? The east end is the most beautiful with sheer peach cliffs down to the river and cliff dwellings. I figure you need at least two nights to make it to the east end, then have any time to hike the side canyons of Turkey Creek and Hell Hole, which are supposed to be the most beautiful. Three nights would be really cool.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/3/2007, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice Avatar there Carolyn... You too IGO. Looks like everyone is getting new looks around here....

Aravaipa is a definite on my Wish List. Have wanted to do this one for some time. Maybe one of these days I'll get my wish. Have to work on it .
Glad you had a great time and enjoyed.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
jdahling

PostPosted: 9/3/2007, 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Aravaipa is absolutely amazing. I was there several years ago for a long weekend of hiking / camping. Tons of animals and great htings to see. I would highly recommend it, and would love to go back - perhaps next year. I'd love to coordinate a group for that!

"Life is an adventure ... Made for an adventurer ..."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/3/2007, 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd go ..... if I'm off this Project by then that is or it happens to be a weekend that I can arrange to be off ! Rolling Eyes

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Wreckchaser

PostPosted: 9/4/2007, 8:16 pm    Post subject: Aravaipa Canyon East Side Access Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just went into Aravaipa Canyon from the east side this summer. I was able to gain access through the private land because I know and work with one of the members of the family that owns the particular piece of land that the road goes through that is locked up. I checked with the BLM and they told me that they are not giving out any permits for access to the canyon from the east side because of the dispute with the particular land owner. There are plans to put in a road around this area, but that may or may not happen any time soon. My concern about going into this area is that if the land owner gives permission for you to cross their property, the BLM is saying that they don't give permits to go through the east side. Somebody please help me to understand this permit issue because it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 9/5/2007, 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just get a permit for the west end and come in from the east.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: