ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
solo/duo tarps for sale
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Classifieds Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 8/21/2007, 1:35 pm    Post subject: solo/duo tarps for sale Reply to topic Reply with quote

for sale is a large version of the solo tarp I featured in the Gallery It will shelter 2 in a pinch and is a great size for solo use at only 8 ounces you cant go wrong.
Tarping is a nice way to experience the outdoors and sleep under the stars without being confined in a tent. We have little bug action in this area and Ive never had a problem with snakes spiders or anything else even in GC the mice wont bother a person. If you think convertible cars are cool, try this!!

this one comes in blaze orange which is easy to spot in foul weather/snow and can easily be seen from a "search and rescue" should that be an issue. $55 shipped. You cant find a tarp like this for under $70

comes with spectra guylines, seam sealed by me, and a stuff sack.

what i do
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 8/21/2007, 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: solo/duo tarps for sale Reply to topic Reply with quote

American_Idol wrote:

this one comes in blaze orange which is easy to spot in foul weather/snow and can easily be seen from a "search and rescue" should that be an issue. .......

We would have believed you, Mike; there was no need to PROVE this point.... (sorry, couldn't resist)

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 8/21/2007, 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

looking great mike, I love the spinnaker one that you sewed

Kerouac
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/21/2007, 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When you making them out of Cuben(cubin?)?
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 8/21/2007, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

dude, Cuben is very expensive, I'll wait until a) i really have the proper cutting table and supplies and b)when they quit acting like its NASA property and lower the price a bit. ( its about $25 a square yard)

what i do
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 8/21/2007, 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What we need to do is go on a 'class trip'... yeah, that's what we'll tell 'em...class trip (bring sissors Wink )..........

Cuben Fiber Corporation
4511 East Ivy Street
Mesa, Arizona 85205

Office: + 1 480 641 0438
Fax: + 1 480 641 0439

Corporate Email: CubenFiber@CubenFiber.com

Customer Service: customerservice@cubenfiber.com

Sailcloth Samples: samples@cubenfiber.com

Billing Department: billing@cubenfiber.com

Engineering Department: engineering@cubenfiber.com

Homemade 1 person Cuben tent >> http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/8499/index.html

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 8/21/2007, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cynhikr wrote:
What we need to do is go on a 'class trip'... yeah, that's what we'll tell 'em...class trip (bring sissors Wink )..........

Cuben Fiber Corporation
4511 East Ivy Street
Mesa, Arizona 85205

I have some accounts (i have a sales job) literally right next door to this place. Next time I'm in the area (friday or monday) I'll stop in and ask for some "samples". If that doesn't work, I'll have to raid the dumpster. I have no shame. Embarassed
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/21/2007, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dang didn't know it was that bad. Mike those tarps look good, now if I could only sleep at night without a tent around me.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 8/22/2007, 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The first night in a tarp if youre nervous, just bring a bottle of JD along. When you wake up the next morning and youre still alive then you can rest easy that tarps are more then enough shelter for AZ. Plus you got to drink JD the night before. Win win situation Cool

Kerouac
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/22/2007, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fairweather8588 wrote:
you can rest easy that tarps are more then enough shelter for AZ.

I wouldn't say more than enough shelter, I've been through enough storms in good tents that would have left me soaked from side spray or covered in dirt/sand with a tarp. Spent a few not very fun nights in the tarptent as well.

I'm sure it would be sufficient for many areas in AZ as well as most of the year. I would like to condition myself for sleep in the open, will take a little while though.

-TIM-
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 8/22/2007, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh Tim! Sleeping actually under the stars is awesome! I love it! It is my favorite way to sleep when I am out.

But! With that said, if I think it is gonna rain I want a whole tent! Last trip into the Canyon we took rainfly and ground cloth only and I panicked when it started to rain. I too have spent my fair share of nights in storms with less than sufficient shelter and hated it so I assumed that was what was going to happen that night.... it did not and every thing was fine but I didn't like the feeling I got when I started thinking about it again!

My experience with m tarp tent was very similar to yours Tim, I was not happy with it at all... I am thinkin' Tracy would agree with us! But again, I must say that Henry Shires was a very good man when it came to taking care of business. He refunded my whole amount when my strut broke on mine on a Canyon trip. Even offered to refund the money AND give me anither tent but I did not let him do that.....

I want to shine!
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 8/22/2007, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

campsite location is just as, if not more, important than the shelter you chose. I have seen some choice spots when dry become a nightmare for a tarptent after about a 15 minute rain. The thing with a tarp is having to know your limitations (and like you, I dont think i'd want one in blowing rain either) but for light dew and light misting/snow they sure are nice. Ive heard of others using a bivy under a tarp for complete protection but the bivy's that come in at the weight I want are in the $200 range. Forget that!
btw, this tarp is large enough to stake down all 4 corners to the ground and it will shed a good rain and without being confining, provided you're not camped in a flood basin you'll be good to go. I didnt think tarping was all that... until I got one from Zpacks- now its my 90% of the time shelter. I love hammocking too but thats another story for another time.

what i do
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/22/2007, 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not to get too far off subject, yes Henry runs a good business. I bought the new contrail last year, still haven't got to use it, need to practice setting it up first. I think they are great 2.5-3 season shelters, as would any tarp under the same circumstances.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 8/29/2007, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SALE- the orange tarp is now $50 shipped
grosgrain reinforced tie-outs, gutermann thread, tight stitching, and 20 feet of reflective guyline. you cant pass this up. Wait till you guys see the tarp/tent I made for Justin- Im sure he'll bring it to the Reavis trip. Very Happy

what i do
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 8/30/2007, 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Or...

Wait till you guys see the tarp tent he is making for me. Everyone will be super-jealous. Even the animals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Classifieds All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: