ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Quartz Peak Trail, 1/7/03

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
srlatty

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Quartz Peak Trail, 1/7/03 Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is one of the trails that has been on my list for quite some time. After Cakewalk brought up the idea of a group hike earllier in the week, I started thinking about it again. When Cindy asked about it, I looked up the website description for her and decided that I was going to go that afternoon. I am going to miss being on a compressed work schedule!

I headed in from the South and 46 miles later came to the trailhead. As I was approaching the trailhead, I was a little worried that I might have to turn back due to the weather. It was very windy and the dust was kicking up. By the time I reached the traihead, all of the dust had cleared and just a light wind remained. There were no other cars in the lot and according to the logbook, I had missed the 2 other parties that were there that day, 1/7. One post that was in the logbook mentioned that they had seen a Mountain Goat ewe and lamb 2 days earlier. I kept looking but never saw anything.

Since it was already after 2 pm, I did not complete the hike to the summit. I did however make it to what I believe to be about the halfway mark. Another reason to get GPS! From this point, the views across the desert to the West were pretty awesome! I plan on returning in the very near future to complete this hike. If anyone wants directions to come in from the south, PM me. It's pretty straightforward!

One thing to note: 4 wheel drive is probably a good idea! While there is no serious 4x4 terrain, there are a lot of small washes and the road is very sandy. I drove most of the way in 2 wheel and only put it in 4 wheel when I started getting that sinking feeling driving thru the sand! This is not the place to get stuck! It is very remote and there is no cell or pager coverage out there.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/10/2003, 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a great place, I love remote places. I'm hopin to do this one! Smile

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
cakewalk

PostPosted: 1/11/2003, 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
This is not the place to get stuck! It is very remote and there is no cell or pager coverage out there.

Tell me about it! - I walked 12 miles after getting stuck before I could get a cell call out, not a good day!
dennisbench

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is a hike I have wanted to do for a while, but I don't have 4wd, I'll have to keep an eye out for any group hikes there.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
srlatty

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cakewalk mentioned getting a group hike out there before it gets too hot. I am all for that! When we go, we should probably try to determine who all is going and where they are coming from. If you live in Ahwatukee, like me, it doesn't make sense to come in thru Estrella Mountain ranch. The southern route "seems" to be much shorter and definitely has less traffic. Plus, I love driving thru the desert. We could have 2 meeting places to attack from opposite directions.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am really hoping we are going to do this mountain, I plan on taking a Saturday off from work to do it.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
gps_hiker

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone got directions from the Maricopa/Mobile side ( South End ) via 99th Ave or something?

Did Quartz Peak last year via I-10 ( North ) and it was about 75 miles from the East Valley which is a long drive for a pretty short hike.
cakewalk

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Since there is so much interest in this hike, When do you feel is the best time? Mid february? March? The more advance notice, the better...

Who has a 4 X 4? Where are you coming in from?
There is a gas station in the estrella ranch area we can meet and car pool the rest of the way in...

Im in Glendale so I'll be coming from I-10 West side
cakewalk

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dont reply here concerning the upcoming quartz peak hike.... Ive added a quartz peak thread in the events forum.
srlatty

PostPosted: 1/16/2003, 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Directions from Maricopa are pretty simple. Take Maricopa road West from I-10. You can either exit Maricopa rd or Queen Creek road exit. Follow this West app. 12 miles to the intersection with 238. Go West on 238 toward Mobile app. another 10 - 12 miles to 91st Ave. Turn north on 91st Ave. This will veer to the left (west) after about a mile. Continue to 99th Ave and turn right (North). Go North on 99th Ave about a mile and it will become dirt. After about another mile, there is a small airport. A couple of hundred yards before the airport gate, there is a 4x4 trail that turns off to the east, follow that to the end of the fence around the airport. At the end of the fence, the trail will turn north, follow it. You will follow it until it intersects with the trail that follows the power lines, about 3 miles. Take the power line road north and follow until you see a BLM marker with the word "trail", probably another 6 miles. Turn right at the marker and follow for another 2 miles to the trailhead. All in all, this is roughly 40 miles from the I-10/Chandler Rd. intersection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: