ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
ANy experts in snake identification???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfredricks

PostPosted: 8/10/2007, 11:30 am    Post subject: ANy experts in snake identification??? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what kind of snake this is exactly?

I know nothing about snakes

This one was bout 4 inches off the trail and I almost stepped on him twice.....once going in....and once in the middle of the night going out!

http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albvl93&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

THanks in advance!
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 8/10/2007, 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Crotalus viridis cerberus

Arizona Black Rattlesnake
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 8/10/2007, 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

p.s. Where was this photo taken?
AFScout80

PostPosted: 8/10/2007, 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes definetely an Arizona Black Rattlesnake. A year ago Brian (aspen oaks) and I were hiking in the Sierra Anchas and he topped out on a little hill, we heard the rattling from a bush and he lunged backwards. I saw the snake strike at his shin and thought he got poked, however upon inspection he was safe and sound. I took a pic of him and would post it if I knew how. The snake was probably 4 feet long, a little larger than the average Arizona Black. Pretty snakes.
pfredricks

PostPosted: 8/10/2007, 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sacred_datura wrote:
p.s. Where was this photo taken?

Algonquin trail....near big dipper

Thanks sacred datura....or can I call you "Datura wrightii" ?
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
aspen_oaks

PostPosted: 8/10/2007, 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yep def arizona black i have been very acquainted with one!!!!!!! not fun...........beautiful snake though.....
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 8/10/2007, 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm a bit of a snake geek. Laughing
pfredricks

PostPosted: 8/10/2007, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I knew that I could count on you guys...

thanks for the fast info.....
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 8/10/2007, 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bingo Sacred Datura. The snake is not lurking, just shy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: