ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
EPIC Hike #2 (October)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
ck1
PostPosted: 9/28/2003, 5:08 pm    Post subject: EPIC Hike #2 (October) Reply with quote

The hike...
Superstition Ridgeline.

The stats...
10 Miles, 10 hours, 2820 ft elev. gain

The date....
Oct 25, 2003.

The plan....
Depart early from Carney Springs trailhead (we can either camp or just get there early)
follow ridgeline to Siphon Draw trail, descend, meet shuttle drivers.

Figured the next EPIC should be a bit closer to home, and this one has been on several people's lists for some time (including me).

Certainly all the members of the Arizona Hikers Swim Team are welcome to join in the fun, though I don't expect we'll hear "It's A Swimmer" on this one.

Kent might provide some additional info on the hike regarding its difficulty, he's doing it several times.

So....who's in?

sherileeaz

PostPosted: 10/25/2003, 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A quickie post before bed to say THANKS for a wonderful day together. It was a pleasure meeting all of you!

Sherileeaz Cool
ck1

PostPosted: 10/25/2003, 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm going to be sore has hell in the morning.

"The Journey is the Destination"
srlatty

PostPosted: 10/25/2003, 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
I'm going to be sore has hell in the morning.

But it will be a "good" sore! I looked at the Supes and thought about you guys quite a few times today.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 10/25/2003, 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can't wait to read all the posts and descriptions of this EPIC hike. Wish I could have been with you up there but maybe next year.

It was a pleasure to finally meet everyone and to see some old friends.

I tip my hat to all of you!

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 10/25/2003, 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, since I turned my ankle just a short ways into the trail, I didn't get to do the Epic today! Crying or Very sad Pumpkin ankle hurts like poopie tonight!! But, I had great time hanging out with the gang at LDSP!
evenstar

PostPosted: 10/25/2003, 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, there's gonna be quite a few groans and maybe even a scream of pain or two when they wake in the a.m. and move limbs for the first time, but nothing too serious. Colin got nailed by an Agave and hope that doesn't get infected...undertand he still has a piece of it in him and he wouldn't let Todd amputate....big sissy!
This morning I was wishing I was twenty years younger so I could go on the current EPIC hike.....tonight, after watching them stumble into LDSP, I'm porridge glad I'm 66 years old and have more sense! Rolling Eyes
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/26/2003, 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OWWWWW! (by the way, that's a good OWWWWW!)

Great time.
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 10/26/2003, 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How is everyone today?? Or are most of you still in bed?? I'm up and moving around pretty well. I can definitely feel that I worked my muscles yesterday!!

So whats next??

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 10/26/2003, 11:31 am    Post subject: Great Time/last half mile Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
OWWWWW! (buy it's a good OWWWWW!)

Great time.

Me too!

Hope Stan, Mike and Colin are OK, today.

Thanks again to the "support team" (the beer IV saved a lot of time, too.)! But seeing SandeJ and the other welcomers waiting at the notch above the basin was superb! Thank you guys again.

It was great to meet all of you and hang-out on the actual summit with everybody (OK, I'll skip the pun about that being the "high Point" of our hike). But the whole hike was really fun and we're gonna need to do it again! Right?

Jim.

P.S. When Tom and I started down from the notch to the basin, he was leading. So when he started talking about what a nice place it is and enjoying the views as the setting sun began to illuminate the canyon bottom directly from the west, I should have been suspicious. As we got within shouting distance of the beer, Tom suddenly perked-up and the last half mile of the "real" hike began. Tom kept pushing the pace, but I can always find something in reserve when beer is involved. I was about to take over the lead in the duel-for-a-beer, when we suddenly met Hoole selling sips of beer on the trail for a dollar each. End of story: Tom had a dollar, I didn't... Moral of story: always take extra beer money when doing an Epic hike because you never know what might happen on the trail.
evenstar

PostPosted: 10/26/2003, 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Jim....you shoulda said something.... I take VISA, CC, Amex and Diners Club!

Mr. Green
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/26/2003, 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

See! I tole you Hooli was that way! You didn't believe me... Laughing

What a welcomed sight Hooli was... err, well, you know what I mean... no Dew to smootch on the noggin tho... and I ain't gonna smootch that other dome... nuh-uh. Randy, I say again, you are an adventurous sort... Although, I was kinda sorta tempted when I saw the Sam Adams in his paw. No... wait... what's the matter with me... I must have been delusional at the time...
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 10/26/2003, 11:56 am    Post subject: Next? Reply to topic Reply with quote

jmzblond wrote:
How is everyone today?? Or are most of you still in bed?? I'm up and moving around pretty well. I can definitely feel that I worked my muscles yesterday!!

So whats next??

Hi J,

Still in bed? I just got back from morning bicycling :). Glad you're up and moving OK :)

Beautiful day, too! If I wasn't working today, it'd sure be a nice one for a hike!

So whats next?? A variation on the ridgeline, would be ascending from Siphon over the ridgeline, to the summit and exiting via Hieroglyphic canyon. Kent and I discussed it a couple times and I've done it in pieces over several hikes. It'd definitely be easier to car shuttle and the last rest break can occur at the Petroglyph panels which is a pretty cool spot. Anybody interested?

Jim.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 10/26/2003, 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Next? Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW63 wrote:
Still in bed? I just got back from morning bicycling Smile

You DEFINITELY are not right! What planet are you from again? We started to touch base about that last night.

Must be from the planet "ain't nothing gonna stop me from killing myself" in the Aurora Borealis somewhere... probably pretty close to where Kent is from... and don't you even say the Supes... I'll have to kill ya...
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 10/26/2003, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, I'd have to agree. Jim and Kent are definitely two peas in their own pod!!

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if Kent was out this morning having breakfast w/ his "mistress"!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 10/26/2003, 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Next? Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
JW63 wrote:
Still in bed? I just got back from morning bicycling Smile

You DEFINITELY are not right! What planet are you from again? We started to touch base about that last night.

Must be from the planet "ain't nothing gonna stop me from killing myself" in the Aurora Borealis somewhere... probably pretty close to where Kent is from... and don't you even say the Supes... I'll have to kill ya...

Jim is my idol! I'm getting a bumper sticker made with that!!

I have not met anyone with as much stamina, fortitude and patience and at HIS age Wink . but I think Tom hit on something, I bet he's considered young from the planet he's from!! Very Happy

Sherileeaz Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: