ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hey...(The Falcon has landed)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
FalconGTHO

PostPosted: 7/30/2007, 11:22 pm    Post subject: Hey...(The Falcon has landed) Reply to topic Reply with quote

I see no "Newbie" forum on here, but I wanted to say hi. I found this site just today as I was driving to the credit union. A medium metallic blue Nissan Frontier had a window sticker. So, here I am. I am by no means as serious, apparently, as anyone on here. I own no pack or frame, nor a Jeep, lol. I do, however, love to hike in the limited way I do. However, being on here I imagine Ill learn a lot quickly and that will no doubt spur me to more "adventurous" stuff. Also, its going to be cool to do some group things.

So far, with only two exceptions, any hikes Ive done have been solo. I dont mind being by myself, esp since I get to dictate the pace, but it would be cool to have a "smarter, wiser" group to do stuff with.

Thats it for now.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IGO

PostPosted: 7/31/2007, 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Who you callin' smarter and wiser?
Welcome aboard.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 7/31/2007, 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Welcome Falcon! It is hard to call this group serious after you have hiked with us! We do love to hike and buy gear and use gear and talk about gear but serious just doesn't seem to fit...

You will indeed learn a lot from this board and it's members and perhaps you have something to teach us!

I see you are from the west valley! That is always nice, there aren't many west valley folks on the boards! Watch for the GHOTM schedule (group hike of the month) and join us when ever you can!

By the way that was one of our long time members Stan you saw driving down the road.... or one of his many daughters!

I want to shine!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 7/31/2007, 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Welcome Falcon,

Your inititation will begin shortly. Before the end of the year you'll be airdropped into a no-rescue Wilderness equipped with a jack knife, snickers bar, and twenty feet of parachute cord. We'll pick you up 8 days later 75 miles from the drop site. Good luck.

Wink
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 7/31/2007, 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What does the GTHO stand for.... if you don't tell us you run the risk of being called Falconletters.... ask Davisnumbers!

I want to shine!
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 7/31/2007, 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That just might be my Frontier. Is that credit union on 69th and Bell or did you see the truck in traffic?
beckett

PostPosted: 7/31/2007, 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Welcome! You have found a special site on the vast Internet. There is someone who hikes at your exact speed. There is someone who has answers for your questions and you will find that you will add just the right post to help someone else...no matter what your knowledge base is. This is an "eating club with a hiking disorder" so I hope you like food too! Be sure to find a GHOTM to join in and start meeting some of the members right away. Warning...it can be addicting!
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
azhiker96

PostPosted: 7/31/2007, 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
Welcome Falcon,

Your inititation will begin shortly. Before the end of the year you'll be airdropped into a no-rescue Wilderness equipped with a jack knife, snickers bar, and twenty feet of parachute cord. We'll pick you up 8 days later 75 miles from the drop site. Good luck.

Wink

Only 75 miles in 8 days?!?! Must be taking it easy on him!
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/31/2007, 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
Shawn wrote:
Welcome Falcon,

Wink

Only 75 miles in 8 days?!?! Must be taking it easy on him!

Nah, it's gonna be Tommy trekker pickin' him up; he'll probably wanna stay out another 8 days! Razz
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
jdahling

PostPosted: 7/31/2007, 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As a newbie myself - I can honestly say this is a good bunch. They are friendly, adventurous, kind ... and that's just the divas group. I haven't yet had the pleasure of meeting the rest.

Welcome!

"Life is an adventure ... Made for an adventurer ..."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valet2
Peppermint Patty

PostPosted: 7/31/2007, 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Welcome, Falcon letters! (Get The Hike Over?) you'll notice also that there was no clothing, not even the ones you have on in the beginning, included in that inititation list ... you may want to be very careful for the 8 days weather timing wise... got a dog? Wink

Ever hear of "Peppermint Patties"? Glad your here!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 7/31/2007, 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

FalconGTHO wrote:
I am by no means as serious, apparently, as anyone on here.

You didn't read through many threads on the site before posting, did you? Wink

Welcome to the jungle! Silly

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Abe

PostPosted: 7/31/2007, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Falcon.
FalconGTHO

PostPosted: 7/31/2007, 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

LMAO~! I see this is QUITE the nut house. Good stuff. Since I have NEVER learned how to "multiple quote" in forums Ill just go in order here:

Generically, thanks everyone for the rousing welcome.

Diane, I dont think Id have anything to "teach", least not about hiking.

The long winded story about my screenname goes like this:

Cars and automotive activities are my biggest interest. Thusly, my top fave movie on my list is "Mad Max/Road Warrior". Along with that is that fact that Australia gives me a woody. Havent been there yet, but by gosh I want to before Im too old to care. Anyway, "Mad Max" drives an Australian Ford Falcon. A 73 XB GT. "Falcon GT HO" was a model that last appeared in 71. H O stood for "Handling Option", not, as many car people or the otherwise uninitiated think, "High Output". Nevertheless, the 71 XY Falcon GT HO Phase III was the fastest, if not the quickest AU built car there for many years. FalconGTHO is the name Ive used ever since I got on the net in Mar 00.

Shawn, freakin hilarious.

Stan, whoever it was, I passed going north on 101 to Bell road. Since I have crappy eyesight I wasnt sure it was "ArizonaHikers.com" that I saw. Fortunately, whoever caught up to me and passed at the first light on Bell so I was able to confirm. And yes, I was going to AZFCU at 55th and Bell.

Linda, I can easily imagine and see this getting addicting.

Valet, no clue about "Peppermint Patties". And I have no dog. But I love animals and they love me. However, theres no doubt I missing the humor of what appears to be an inside joke.

Paint, no I didnt. I just looked through the forums trying to find a "Newbie" section. I did click a few after I posted. But I hadnt discovered the "nuthouse" humor yet. Heh. But, also, by serious I mean the extent, length and "intensity?" of hikes discussed here. And forgive me if I sound too literal.

Lastly, Im Alan and Im in Peoria. And single. And seeking. Bouncing
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 7/31/2007, 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You'll find that most of the group hikes might be long, but few are what I would call "intense" - unless you define intense as "Trying to hike a long way with an extra 15 lbs of fat I added by porking out on all the grub last night at the campfire"

If that's your definition then nearly all of the group hikes are "intense."

Also, most of the larger group hikes take a pretty leisurely pace - it's a little hard to hike at a rapid pace when you're trying to chat with your friends.

One other thing of note, there are several members of this forum that began in much the same way as you - thinking they weren't very good hikers, but very interested in getting out and maybe doing some new hikes and trying to learn.

Now?

Those same "newbies" are some of the most skilled and insane hikers I know.

You'll fit right in. It's a good-natured and easy-going group. We're all about sharing the joy of hiking and the joy of good friends and good food.

Not necessarily in that order.

Make sure to find the time to attend the next group activity - if not for the hike, then for the camp-out. You won't be disappointed.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: