ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Walmart hiking boots????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrack

PostPosted: 7/25/2007, 9:26 am    Post subject: Walmart hiking boots???? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Guys and gals,
Thought I'm not a hiker by hobby, I am in the field chasing rattlesnakes and other reptiles all the time.
so......I can abuse boots and other equipment with the best of 'em.

I tend to buy 30 -40 dollar hiking boots, destroy them on rocks and move on to the next pair.
I'm seeing a new trend at places like Big 5 sports.
Hiking boots are being made cheaper and cheaper and tend to fall apart
and wear down in no time.

The front 1/2 of most boots tend to just loosen up with the leather stretchinig out and few have a good cushioninig effect when walking.
Some even super stiff and with soles you can almost push your finger through!
I left Big 5 yesterday after looking at alot of junk made by coleman,
Nevados and other companies. Hi tek seems to be the only o.k. boot there.
I stopped off at walmart and gave their Ozark trail Putty hikers another look. A standard boot at walmart at 23.95

Once before I tried them and they were miserable to wear so I decided to try a size smaller and I've been wearing them around the house for break in. NOT bad!!

They have a super cushy thick lug design ( rock collectors) and a triple reinforced front with black rubber gaurd on front.
Metal hooks for the laces and protective ribs on the side for hittting rocks.
I know someone has reviewed these in the past .
I'm usually a 12 and their 12's were swimming on me.
So I did 11's and they feel pretty good.
Check 'em out for a short term affordable boot choice!
Kenny S>
IGO

PostPosted: 7/25/2007, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've told myself I was going to look at Ozark Trails a dozen times. I've read several articles where experienced outdoors writers were more than surprised by the build and ware of these boots. On the other hand, Hi Tec has been my boot of choice for day hiking for a couple decades now. I bet I have a dozen good pairs of boots but these inexpensive boots prove themselves over and over again.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 7/25/2007, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am using those WalMart boots as my caving boots right now. Holding up pretty well. So far 7-8 trips with some full water submersion. Rubber on soles is pretty sticky.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 7/25/2007, 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Last few times i got boots at walmart they fell apart on me in no time. Once the bottom of the tread cracked from one side of the foot to the other, on both boots. I no longer buy them for hiking, but I find them rather comfortable for around town.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
PageRob

PostPosted: 7/26/2007, 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You know, I'm starting to think that the quality of individual boots by the same manufacturer fluctuates greatly. I have a pair of Vasques that have lasted for 4 years now. Starting to show some wear, but certainly still wearable. I got a pair of Timberland boots at Sportsman's Warehouse in December, and by January chunks of the soles had started to come off. Ugh.
sharrack

PostPosted: 7/31/2007, 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Walmart putty hiker boot update:
Well................after 3 hikes or so since Friday , the soles are softening up and the center of the sole is very thin.
The lugs in the center are rounded over.
I see them lasting another month under my hikes on decomposed granite and boulders. If that.........
I think a weekend in the Tinajas altas would have them looking like
bald baloney skins! Shocked

I do like the upper design and sole design but the rubber is simply junk.

I'll keep you updated. Kenny >S
DAB

PostPosted: 8/2/2007, 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Look at mid range boots - you will save in the end. I love the Columbia's as well as the Vasques and if you want a little more boot for that rugged az terrain - I love my Danners! They run about $100 but are good to go for years - until the leather rots.

Also, I have buddy that does some major Coues White-tail hunting in the southwest - very rugged country and he SWEARS by Red-Wings all leather. INVINCIBLE.

- To those who do... and to those that don't. Cheers!
sharrack

PostPosted: 8/6/2007, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Walmart Putty Hiker....... UPdate....10 days in.

The boot for the most part is in one piece BUT (as with most cheapo boots) the center of the front portion of the sole is paper thin and I can
push my finger way into the bottom of the boot.
So as you can imagine...........I'm starting to feel every stone i walk on like I'm wearing a pair of slippers.

Thought I found lightning in a bottle but got junk worth less than what I paid.
Good shoe as long as you doing yardwork with 'em or if your a casual hiker..........Kenny
GringoDiablo

PostPosted: 8/10/2007, 1:18 pm    Post subject: Das Boot! Reply to topic Reply with quote

I consider the boot the most important piece of gear! Recent trip to the Narrows July15 had brand new pair of Merrell Cham ll's they felt good! But I abused them!!!! Very Happy Started at the lodge worked our way up to camp 2-3 went up couple of more miles cold creek and back down and out same day. What an abusive hike that was! I took my shoes back the next day to REI they where still wet, they got mad Evil or Very Mad real mad! said they're not water shoes! Said: yeah no duh! just crossed the creek a few times first time out they should of held out better than that! Got a new pair of GTX's Laughing So lesson here! Dont wear your best shoes when abuse is without a doubt! wear your buddies best shoes. Laughing but serious get a good high quality boot! A crap boot will ruin your foot.

Gringo Diablo Twisted Evil
pfredricks

PostPosted: 8/10/2007, 6:04 pm    Post subject: crap boots and the like Reply to topic Reply with quote

It seems like the cheaper the product.....the more likely it is to fall apart quickly.....so they end up being more expensive in the end.

Just a quick poll.........................

How many people us boots vs shoes?
-P
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
beckett

PostPosted: 8/10/2007, 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Although I find there are times that I need boots, I vote for shoes.

But then again I am one of the least experienced hikers on this site. I'm looking forward to hearing what the "voices of wisdom" say on this topic.

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
cakewalk

PostPosted: 8/10/2007, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ive had bad luck with most everything except the Hi-Tec name brand ( in its price range ). I get them at big 5 when they are on sale for usually $29 marked down from the $50-70 range. Shoes, not boots

Ive tried others, but they never last more than a few weeks.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 8/10/2007, 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: crap boots and the like Reply to topic Reply with quote

pfredricks wrote:
It seems like the cheaper the product.....the more likely it is to fall apart quickly.....so they end up being more expensive in the end.
I agree Pete, though the fit is more important to me than anything else. If you don't get the right fit, eight hours later, you're not going to be thinking about price or duability.

My first-time Merrills have been working well for a little under a year now, however, the durability issue also relates to how many water/rain-hikes you do. IMHO the different boots seem to use both water-soluble and water in-soluble glues. I haven't had any yet, that could hold up to all kinds of hiking.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: