ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Ex-Marine kills bear with log at campground
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 6/22/2007, 10:42 am    Post subject: Ex-Marine kills bear with log at campground Reply to topic Reply with quote

The bear attacks continue this season....

From today's Arizona Republic -
http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0622bearlog22-on.html
Quote:

Ex-Marine kills bear with log at campground
Associated Press
Jun. 22, 2007 07:49 AM

HELEN, Ga. - A 300-pound black bear raided a family's campsite, and the father saved his sons from harm by throwing a log at the beast, killing it with a single blow.

Chris Everhart and his three sons were camping in the Chattahoochee National Forest in northern Georgia when the encounter happened Saturday. The bear took the family's cooler and was heading back to the woods when the youngest son, 6-year-old Logan, hurled a shovel at it.

The bear then dropped the cooler and started coming at the boy, said his father. Fearing what might happen next, Everhart, an ex-Marine, grabbed the closest thing he could find - a log from their stash of firewood.

"(I) threw it at it and it happened to hit the bear in the head," Everhart said. "I thought it just knocked it out but it actually ended up killing the bear."

Everhart was given a ticket for failing to secure his camp site, said Ken Riddleberger, a region supervisor for game management with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.

"We've not had an attack in Georgia," Riddleberger said. "The key thing to learn from this is if there's a bear around, do not have your garbage or food available. If we manage our food, we won't have bears around."

The attack happened the same weekend that an 11-year-old boy was killed by a black bear while camping in a forest in Utah. Sam Ives was found mauled to death after he was pulled screaming from his tent in the Uinta National Forest, about 30 miles southeast of Salt Lake City.

Authorities said it was the first recorded fatal attack by a black bear in that state. His family said there was no food in the tent to attract a bear.

GTG
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 6/22/2007, 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, award that guy with the Man of the Year Award.

Kerouac
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 6/22/2007, 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

"Kilt a bar" with his own two hands? Geeeze, how will we mere men hold our heads up now?
ChefTIO

PostPosted: 6/22/2007, 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can't even toss a log into a firepit from 2 feet away let a lone a moving bear's head.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/22/2007, 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fairweather8588 wrote:

No not really, they left there cooler open and the bear got to it. So he killed a bear for trying to eat. Use a bear box, or protect your food and you won't be in this situation (Hopefully)
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/22/2007, 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
fairweather8588 wrote:

No not really, they left there cooler open and the bear got to it. So he killed a bear for trying to eat. Use a bear box, or protect your food and you won't be in this situation (Hopefully)

Amen! That bear didn't have to die. He was walkin away.... cooler in hand.... let him have the feakin cooler! Or better yet, keep the food put away to prevent the whole thing to begin with!

I want to shine!
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 6/22/2007, 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I doubt the father had control of the bear comming after his 6 year old. I'd be throwing logs and anything else in my reach at a bear if it were coming at my kid.

Kerouac
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 6/22/2007, 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well of course you would, but shouldn't he have controlled his kid to begin with.....prevention is the message here!

I want to shine!
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 6/22/2007, 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Of course prevention is preferred, along with keeping the food safe in the first place like tim said. I think he acted quickly to save his son is all.

Kerouac
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 6/22/2007, 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Indeed he did.

I want to shine!
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 6/22/2007, 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We are taught to secure the food and any scented items at night and not to take stuff in the tent. But how do you prepare your diner and eat during the day when people are out of their tents??

It appears this bear just wandered in when people were out and about. Black bears are not supposed to do that but I guess some don't follow the rules. The agressive behaviour of this one made him a prime candidate for bearacide.

What surprises me is that the aurthorities ticketed the family for not securing their food. It's not possible to secure food 24/7. You have to eat don't you?
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 6/22/2007, 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Y'all missed the point here. The bear was after the beer!!!!

Reminds me of the time the bear stole a beer from Hooli's cooler during the West Fork Wade. Hooli chased him down, grabbed the scruff of his neck, stuck a glass under his chin and yelled, "Spit, you thief, Spit!!!!"
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/22/2007, 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

CatValet wrote:

Reminds me of the time the bear stole a beer from Hooli's cooler during the West Fork Wade. Hooli chased him down, grabbed the scruff of his neck, stuck a glass under his chin and yelled, "Spit, you thief, Spit!!!!"

I never carry beer in my cooler......always wait for GTG or HIG to show up and open their coolers! Lots cheaper and tastes so much better! Of course, if a bear swiped beer from one of their coolers, I'd tell the bear to send them off for more....or else!
Of course if the bear has any taste at all, it'd turn its nose up at the watered down panther piss GTG and HIG drink....as for me, beggers can't be choosers! Rolling Eyes
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/22/2007, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

gpsjoe wrote:
But how do you prepare your diner and eat during the day when people are out of their tents??

What surprises me is that the aurthorities ticketed the family for not securing their food. It's not possible to secure food 24/7. You have to eat don't you?

The only place I have came across Bears is at the Whitney Portal in California. Day 1 when we were setting up our camp we had all our coolers, food, beer, meet everything right out on the table as we set up camp. The camp host was doing her rounds and gave us a stern warning not to do exactly what we were doing and that the bears up there will do exactly what happened in the above story.

We immediately stopped setting up camp and secured all the food and scented items in the bear box that was provided there. Sure enough right at dusk that night a bear came around fishing in the creek and wandered through campsites looking for stuff left out.

Our last night there another bear came by as we were sleeping (or trying to) in our tents and tried to upon the metal trailer that had stuff inside as well. A simple HEY BEAR GET OUT OF HERE yelled loudly scared it off.

I don't know what that campsite looked like, but I bet there were bear boxes there. If your not in the process of cooking/eating then put the coolers away.

What to do while backpacking:
Don't cook, store food and sleep in the same area. Do each of the the three at least a few hundred feet apart. Try to wash up so you don't sleep in that shirt that you just spilled your food all over. Use a bear canister or hang your food when possible.

What the heck is a 6 year old throwing a shovel at a bear for anyways. I forget where I read it, but I did read it this week, they did a study to see how far a bear usually would carry a bear canister, it was something like 30 feet.

They would have gotten there cooler back, it just would have been a bit lighter thats all.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 6/22/2007, 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
CatValet wrote:

I never carry beer in my cooler......always wait for GTG or HIG to show up and open their coolers! Lots cheaper and tastes so much better! Of course, if a bear swiped beer from one of their coolers, I'd tell the bear to send them off for more....or else!
Of course if the bear has any taste at all, it'd turn its nose up at the watered down panther piss GTG and HIG drink....as for me, beggers can't be choosers! Rolling Eyes

That reminds me, I've got to find me a log....

GTG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: