ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Glen Aulin...3 Days In Yosemite
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
YH
Hooli Wants to be just like me!

PostPosted: 6/19/2007, 9:48 am    Post subject: Glen Aulin...3 Days In Yosemite Reply to topic Reply with quote

Do you believe in love at first sight? I do. I still remember the first time I drove into Yosemite and rounding a corner, the view of Yosemite Valley swept across my vision and I had to pull the car over. I couldn’t find the words to express what I was seeing and feeling except to say “Look at that!” over and over again. I had the same experience the first time (and only time…waa!) I found myself standing on the rim of the Grand Canyon…oblivious to people around me…stunned into silence. Yes…I do believe in love at first sight.

That fist encounter was 27 years ago and I still get that feeling with each visit, and I intend to continue fueling the addiction as often as I can! which is what I did this past weekend!

I rarely get into the backside of Yosemite because it takes an additional hour and a half of drive time, but every time I do I’m captivated afresh.

We entered the trail at Tuolumne Meadows, a vast, high altitude meadow (8600 ft) hiking into the Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp. The expanse of meadow is dotted with granite domes and surrounded by beautiful conifer forest. The contrast of gray granite and green forest and meadow is striking. The Tuolumne River meanders it’s way through the meadow and we follow it’s course for a large part of the way. Though the flow is down considerably this year, because of a very low snow pack, it’s clear green water is refreshing and inviting. I think as I hike how fun it would be to lay on a raft and float quietly along gazing at the mountains, trees and meadows. Time slows…senses dulled by a busy life are reawakened.

The Cathedral Range rises as a majestic backdrop with it’s spots of snow and jagged spires reaching heavenward. “Cathedral” is an appropriate name for this setting. Never have I sat in a better place of worship. The grand attempts built by the hands of men, as beautiful as they are, are a mere shadow compared to this. With each new glance it somehow looks different. Every angle and change of light bringing something new and pleasant from the mountains. If one listens close enough one can almost hear the music of the “Cathedral” echoing through the meadows and forest…the mountains are calling.

The trail begins to descend at a steeper rate and the placid water turns from placid to ripples to churning as momentum builds and carries it along. Diving swirls of white and green looking for the path of least resistance find their way over granite slabs, over and between boulders until it thunders over the edge. Cascade after cascade fills the air with the sound of churning water until we arrive at our destination…Glen Aulin.

We set our tents in the backpacker section and then head another mile up to explore an alpine lake…very beautiful.

Back to camp for dinner and conversation until sleepiness wins the battle and we retreat to our tents.
The next day is a day hike past three beautiful falls. The three mile trek to Waterwheel Falls is a collage of cascading whitewater, placid stretches of river and areas of aspens and conifers. We descend into a beautiful granite valley that will eventually become Hetch Hetchy reservoir several miles down the trail. (What were they thinking! Sad ) We stop and enjoy each cascade and falls. Waterwheel gets it’s name because of the plumes or rooster tails thrown up as it rushes downward. It looks like waterwheels when the flow is enough.

Hiking back up I decide this will be my October fall hike because of the aspen groves and towering granite walls.

At night the stars put on their sparkling show as a sliver of a moon hangs in the velvety darkness. The milky way is in full bloom. Cool air has settled in and the fire is only a group of glowing embers as we make our way to bed. My down bag feels warm against the cool air descending upon me through my open tent. I’m not ready to think of leaving yet, but I know with the rising sun I will need to bid this place farewell.

Morning is packing up for the trek out. I glance back frequently as I climb out along the falls and through the forest, back into the meadow. “Good-by my friend” my heart seems to say. “I’ll be back”.

Yes…I do believe in love at first sight… and forever.
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/19/2007, 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a great weekend! Mr. Green
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/19/2007, 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can vaguely remember my first trip to Yosemite; I was probably less then six years old and we drove the car through one of the big trees......Also vaguely remember the "Firefall". They'd light a huge bonfire on the edge of Glacier Point and push it over for a 3,000 foot drop to the valley floor. Pretty spectacular, especially coming just after man's invention of fire Rolling Eyes ........Yeah, it was a long time ago. And I agree.....Love at first sight!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
paintninaz

PostPosted: 6/19/2007, 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

great trip report...but where are the pics??? dunno

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
YH

PostPosted: 6/19/2007, 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
From Hooli:
Also vaguely remember the "Firefall". They'd light a huge bonfire on the edge of Glacier Point and push it over for a 3,000 foot drop to the valley floor.

That's waaaay before my time. Hikngrl might remember it though. I saw it in a movie though ("The Cain Mutny" I think)

Quote:
From Paint:
great trip report...but where are the pics???

I took a bunch that i need to download and resize. I'm a little slow with that kind of stuff. Embarassed
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/19/2007, 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

YH wrote:
Quote:
From Hooli:
Also vaguely remember the "Firefall". They'd light a huge bonfire on the edge of Glacier Point and push it over for a 3,000 foot drop to the valley floor.

That's waaaay before my time. Hikngrl might remember it though. I saw it in a movie though ("The Cain Mutny" I think)

Quote:
From Paint:
great trip report...but where are the pics???

I took a bunch that i need to download and resize. I'm a little slow with that kind of stuff. Embarassed

OOOOOOOO! Good thing you live 600 miles away from her....tho' she might just decide it'd be worth the trip to rip your lips off!
YH

PostPosted: 6/19/2007, 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
From Hooli:
OOOOOOOO! Good thing you live 600 miles away from her

Did ya have to put that in red?!
Besides...it's about 700 miles. I would never have taken such a risk with only a 600 mile buffer!!
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 6/19/2007, 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've only been there once and I was quite young, but I remember much of it including the firefall which I thought was cool. Also remember swimming in the Merced and how freezing cold it was. We stayed in a campground right there in the valley and it was really crowded. I remember there was all of this calling for someone named Elmer every night just before sundown. I guess it was some kind of tradition that's been going on there. Maybe someone named Elmer got lost there some time ago and that started it. That was fifty years ago so who knows if they still do it or not. YH, have you ever heard that story?
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/19/2007, 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

YH wrote:
Quote:
From Hooli:

Besides...it's about 700 miles. I would never have taken such a risk with only a 600 mile buffer!!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, YH, but according to Google Maps it's only 585 miles. Be afraid....be very afraid! Scared
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/19/2007, 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

NOOOOOOO..... I would NEVER rip his lips off.... angel

I would however, crush his finger tips and then hang him from them for typing such a thing!!!!! Twisted Evil

Wonderful TR YH! Glad you got out there.... No hiking for me for so long! Todd and I did a mile or so the other day on North Mountain but it was so horribly hot we didn't do much! Going up to Preskitt in a couple of weeks to joining Hank and Linda for a hike on Granite Mountain where it is a little cooler though! Looking forward to that! It ain't no Yosemite but it will do for now!

Still no pictures yet I see.... Rolling Eyes

I want to shine!
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/19/2007, 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:

I would however, crush his finger tips and then hang him from them for typing such a thing!!!!! Twisted Evil

Wonderful TR YH! Glad you got out there.... No hiking for me for so long! Todd and I did a mile or so the other day on North Mountain but it was so horribly hot we didn't do much! Going up to Preskitt in a couple of weeks to joining Hank and Linda for a hike on Granite Mountain where it is a little cooler though! Looking forward to that! It ain't no Yosemite but it will do for now!

Oh Man YH, If you see a little red truck pull up in front of your house you better be out the back door lickety-split! Eek
YH

PostPosted: 6/19/2007, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Hikngrl wrote:

Oh Man YH, If you see a little red truck pull up in front of your house you better be out the back door lickety-split! Eek

In front of my house??? I've hired spotters at the state line! Shocked
YH

PostPosted: 6/19/2007, 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
YH wrote:
Quote:
From Hooli:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, YH, but according to Google Maps it's only 585 miles. Be afraid....be very afraid! Scared

Yes, but remember who's driving! It'll turn into 700 at least! Very Happy You don't suppose that will make her even madder do you? Whoops!
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/19/2007, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ROFLMAO You're a dead man....a funny dead man, but a dead man never the less Doh!
YH

PostPosted: 6/19/2007, 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
ROFLMAO You're a dead man....a funny dead man, but a dead man never the less Doh!

uh ohhh... could I borrow the Hoolimobile for a couple of months???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: