ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Boy attacked in tent and killed by black bear
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 6/20/2007, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I disagree with the KUTV article about black bears not preying on humans. Dr. Stephen Herrero, a recognized bear attack expert and author, has indicated that black bears do more predatory attacks on people than Griz. His studies of fatal predatory attacks, mostly in Canada, showed that most of the attacking bears were in "ketosis". This is also a goal of the Atkins diet, to get you in a state where you are consuming your own fat (or muscle if you have no fat left) for fuel. (I've never had that problem.....). In short the predatory bears were close to a starvation situation.

I'll bet the bear in Utah was either predatory because of drought, or there was enticement. Young boys are notorious for sneaking cookies, or other food into tents, sleeping bags, etc. for late night snacking. Unfortunately, this can lead to being the snackee.
windymesa

PostPosted: 6/21/2007, 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In addition to the Teton Griz attack... another in Yellowstone.. in the past few weeks.... of a proffessional photographer invading the bears space for his own person gain.. he gambled and lost:

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2007/05/24/news/20bear.txt

http://www.nps.gov/yell/parknews/0725.htm

Be careful out there... time to invest in pepper spray.. oh wait.. the guy in Yellowstone had some.. Sad hmmm.. must have been standing downwind when he used it and incapacitated himself... the stuff works great if your upwind!?.. ok time to invest in a 12 gauge shotgun with rifled slugs.. or a .300 Magnum Rifle. But... "Firearms are severely restricted within the National Parks system. Currently people are required to lock up firearms in their trunk, even if they have a concealed carry permit. This prohibition extends to those going into wild backcountries and those travelling in dangerous, southwest border areas." (http://www.gunlawnews.org/NPS-Carry.html).

"It doesn't matter if the Parks property is in Alaska, or Florida, whether you face an 800 pound bear, or armed thug, the National Park Service would rather you be dead, than have a weapon that you could use to defend yourself." (http://www.bighammer.net/repealthenpsban.html).

There is presently an active effort to repeal the NPS ban on weapons at the site just mentioned. I personally have never owned a gun.. used them as a kid hunting with my dad... i have backpacked in bear country.. but not Griz country... or in the National Parks with Grizzly or Bear populations... and if I have to carry a 12 gauge shotgun with rifled slugs, well.... the fun is gone.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 6/21/2007, 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So a bear eats one of us every so often. At least they don't have websites to share recipes. Shocked Over the past century I think we're pretty much ahead of the bears on this eating thing.

Now for a real challenge in bear country, arm yourself with stones and pointy sticks like our ancestors. Smile
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/21/2007, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cooking with SusieQ, that was cute azhiker96 !!!! I certainly hope they don't have websites to share. Maybe they have rock scratchings that detail us... Oh dear.

Never thought about a bear meat recipe! Who would have thought.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 6/22/2007, 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

windymesa wrote:
Backpack in a National Park (with grizzlies in particularly).. and the locals call you "bear bait". Bear bells are called "dinner bells". Smile

I have a buddy we call bear bait. I always tell him, I don't have to be able to outrun a bear, just outrun you. Laughing

-Hunter S. Thompson
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/22/2007, 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

During my first visit to Yellowstone, think it was in 2002, I was walking Bo; guy asked me if Bo was my bear bait. I pointed out that a Basenji can easily run close to 30 miles and hour.....that made me Bo's bear bait! Shocked
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: