ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Colin's journal entry...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 9/21/2003, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Colin's journal entry... Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wrote my personal journal entry for the hike with the intent to post it as a trip report...here goes..

As I sit and begin to write my trip report for my own journal, I'm taken by two things. First, I'm sore. Second, I don't really want to write up the trip.

But before I begin, as I'm sure those of you on the hike are concerned...I do, once again, have feeling in my testicles. Thank you for your concern throughout the hike.

To explain why I'm sore...
Total hike time: 11hours 24 minutes
Total distance: 14.25 miles
Total distance w/ water: 11 miles
Elevation ascent: 1090 ft
Elevation descent 2150 ft
chafing on legs from wet shorts
bruised ankle from angry tree
cut toes from teva sandals
pruned feet from 11 miles of water

To explain why I don't feel like writing a full report...
Kent did an excellent job. Seriously. He did a wonderful job remembering and writing up this amazing adventure. I wouldn't have remembered how many pools we swam, no way. It felt like a dozen. I remember odd things from the hike that I'll get to shortly. But really, Kent did a great job! I've gone so far as to copy his report into my own journal. Well done Kent! Ok

Some things I noticed about this hike..
1. Beer tastes really good after 14 miles of hiking
2. The next time Mike suggests I hike...I'm there!
3. 45 degree water is cold, even if you sweat alot.
4. Hnak has agility a gymnast would envy.
5. Stan is a stud.
6. Todd and I have similar senses of humor - and we both enjoy "do it yourself" enemas
7. Sande has biceps that Schwarzenegger would envy.
8. I have even less balance than I thought I had
9. Snakes do weird things in the woods.
10. Kent is one fast hiker
11. Birds commit suicide by flying directly into big rocks on the ground.
12. Diane has tremendous drive, having seen her take a spill or two, had it been me, I don't know if I'd have had as good a sense of humor
13. Did I mention the cold water
14. Tom can cuss like a champion.
15. Hoolie and Randy, and I don't believe I'm saying this, are wonderful sights for sore eyes at the end of long hike.
16. Upper West Fork has a great warning sign.

But overall, I noticed that those of you who participated in the WFW 2003 weekend are special people. I'm grateful for such wonderful hiking partners.

Pat and I (and Tony and Karen) enjoyed ourselves immensly!

Thanks!

PS Shall we make plans for WFW 2004?

"The Journey is the Destination"
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well said, Colin.

Yes, Hooli and Randy were defintely a wonderful sight for sore eyes and frozen testes.

What a trip Exclamation Exclamation
paintninaz

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
15. Hoolie and Randy, and I don't believe I'm saying this, are wonderful sights for sore eyes at the end of long hike.

Awwww..., that cold water really did permanent damage to you didn't it? Eek

Wink

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Colin's journal entry... Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
14. Tom can cuss like a champion.

What the BLEEP are you talking about Colin?? I was just getting BLEEPn' tired of traversing (read falling over) those BLEEPn' slippery BLEEPn' boulders!

Is that BLEEPn' ok with you?!?

rofl
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
ck1 wrote:

Awwww..., that cold water really did permanent damage to you didn't it? Eek

Believe it or not, I actually stated I would be more than happy to kiss Hooli's noggin if I made it all the way out of there... Randy's too for that matter... but the Fat Tire at the end calmed those insane thoughts...

Yes, permanent damage was inflicted on that hike!!

rofl
Hnak

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
PS Shall we make plans for WFW 2004?

Sign me up! I really enjoyed this hike, although, as Colin mentioned, the water was a bit 'brisk' at times....

What a great group to hike with, I enjoyed meeting everyone there and had a great time. Thanks!

Hnak
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A couple more things we learned:

- Call o' the Canyon: A haunting, moanful cry often heard echoing off the rock walls in the upper stretches of the West Fork. Naturalists have pinpointed the source to a series of pools where the water level often reaches or surpasses the height of the average American male's crotch. Eek (aka, "shrinkage level" )

- The West Fork is a lush, near tropical, paradise complete with screaming monkeys and a close relative to a reptilian species normally found only in certain areas of southeast Asia and Indonesia. (See: http://www.flyingsnake.org/ )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: