ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
West Fork (the whole enchilada)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 9/21/2003, 12:53 pm    Post subject: West Fork (the whole enchilada) Reply to topic Reply with quote

Epic... Epic hike everyone. I truly didn't have a clue about what lay ahead of us
Saturday morning. This has to rank at the top of my "have to think about doing
that one again" hikes. What a test of endurance and willpower. I can see now
why there aren't many write-ups on this canyoneering trip. This one changed my
idea of what true 'slot canyoneering' is all about.

The campground choice was perfect. If I had to 'hike' back to camp after that, I
probably would have folded. I am glad that I didn't try to do this thing all in one
day. That would have definitely not worked. Although, the drive back last night
was another test of endurance.

What an awesome group of people to do it with. I'm still in awe that nobody in
the group got injured during the trek. I mean worse than sore bodies and scrapes.

After the 3rd or 4th swim in COLD water, I was beginning to wonder what really
lay ahead of us. There were only two ways out. Forward, or back. After the second
or third pool, I couldn't stop shivering. The rock hopping over slick (and moving)
rocks really began to take its toll on me after 10 or so miles. I was almost happy to
see a knee deep pool after a while to take some of the pain away from my leg joints.
It ended up taking a bit longer than we all anticipated (11 hrs?). I was glad we
made it out of there before dark.

I know for a fact that if I were to do that one again (yeah, I'm already thinking about
it), I would truly prepare a month ahead and change almost everything I did in
preparation plus the gear I took along with me. Probably do it a bit earlier in the
season too.

Me and DCornelius bailed out late Saturday night and the rest stayed on until
Sunday. The rest of the crew should be posting later today. I can't wait to see some
of the other comments and pics (my camera took a dunk about 3/4 way through
the hike). I hope I can retrieve at least some of the awesome pics I took that day.

Anyways, thanks Mike for getting the hike together. Thanks to all who made it up
there for the weekend. It was an extremely interesting time. The canyon views and
true 'survivalist' aspect of the whole thing was worth it's weight in gold. It sure
opened my eyes wide and took my breath away in more ways than one. Amazed

I'll leave the detailed trip report to the more capable. ArizonaHeat??

Ok, I'm going to say something almost insane... let's make this an annual thing!
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 9/21/2003, 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice write up Tom. I had a blast and glad you did too. Hope you can salvage your camera.

It will be fun to hear everyones different perspectives on this adventure
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/21/2003, 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah Tom, I would have to agree with you! I would definetly retihink what I took and how I packed it! This was a definet learning experience for me and I am so grateful for all of those who were there. I had a great time! I too am sore in places I didnt know existed but as I said to another.... it is a good sore because it brings back memory after memory every time I maon and groan when I move! Please let me take this opportunity to say thank you to every one who was there this weekend. Not only the WFW hikers but all of their spouces and and friends. This goup of people are so wonderful! Being a new person to the group I was welcomed as if I had been part of the group all along. I was so impressed by the way everyone supported every one else. Not one person was made to feel left out or "not worthy" It was a great weekend!

I want to shine!
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom, I'm already getting heat from my boss. He really wanted to go this weekend, but had a conflict (that was later canceled). He's definitely planning to go next time! So, my job is on the line... we have to do it again!! Laughing
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 8:06 pm    Post subject: West Fork next time - Super Ridge next time? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Di, Tom, Kent, Mike, the others and the "Swim Team", kudos! You're all awesome people!

Now, we need to quit fooling around and start planning the Superstition Ridgeline overnight. Let's do it!

Anyone who wants to do a "real" backpack/overnight, just say so! There are several of us who want to do this, so let's plan it!!

Anybody else who want's to plan Mt. Writghtson/Mt. Humphrey's, let me know.

Let's hike Arizona!

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: