ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Let's Talk about San Diego!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
KFarm

PostPosted: 6/5/2007, 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One of my favorite places to visit in SD is the Cabrillo National Monument on Point Loma. It has the best view of the city and I think it has some hiking trails that go down to the tide pools. Right north of there are the Sunset Cliffs, great waves but not for the novice. This is the best place in SD to view a Sunset, hence the name. The best breakfast can be found at Kono's Surf Club Cafe in Pacific Beach right in front of the Crystal Pier. I use to grab a bite to eat there right before a surf session. You can surf to the north of the pier or boggie board to the south. Now you are making me think about going....

John Wayne
Suz

PostPosted: 6/5/2007, 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Been to, around and all over Sunset Cliffs...was looking for a new spot. I have enjoyed the "Green Flash" for breakfast many times. It sure sounds like it's right in the same place. Does kono's surf club cafe sit on the boardwalk?
KFarm

PostPosted: 6/5/2007, 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes... It is right on the boardwalk, adjacent to the pier on Garnet.

John Wayne
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/5/2007, 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

And make sure you pronounce Garnet the PB way: Gar NET.
Suz

PostPosted: 6/5/2007, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

how else would you pronounce it?
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 6/5/2007, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GAR net? Wink

Have a fish taco (or two) for me Suz! Above all, have fun!

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 6/6/2007, 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ahhh... fish tacos! One of my best memories of my days (or, nights as it were) working out at Point Loma. Also, there was a place called Gus' (I think that's what it was called anyway) on Rosecrans (somewhere near Byron street). They serve gargantuan sandwiches, pizzas and calzones that are definitely NOT health food (but SO tastey!!!)!

As azbackpackr mentioned, Point Loma is quite beautiful, especially at sunset.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/6/2007, 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I grew up in Point Loma, went to Point Loma High.

Anyway, the usual pronunciation of the name of the stone, garnet, is with emphasis on first syllable. Except in PB! Also, there is a Chalcedony St. in PB, which everyone pronounces just the way it looks, although the correct pronunciation is actually Kal Sed Nee. Just a PB thing. The city fathers came up with lots of interesting street names and grouped them in alphabetical order. You have your tree streets in Mission Hills, and your author streets in Point Loma. I grew up on Elliott St. off of Rosecrans, where you find Alcott, Browning, Curtis, Dumas, Elliott, Freeman, Goldsmith, etc., etc. Also Xenophon, Young and Zola! And in PB they are all named after precious stones, so you have Agate, Beryl, Chalcedony, Emerald, Felspar (spelled wrong--they left out the d), Garnet, etc. And in PB they were too busy surfing, so they are not all exactly in alphabetical order.

My great-grandparents are buried near the San Diego Wild Animal Park, out in San Pasqual Valley. Our family was around there for a long time. Then we all left, after the area got over-populated. When my dad was a kid the only paved street was Broadway, and you could take the street car to La Jolla, a small village. Pacific Beach was a cattle ranch. Mission Bay was a slough (salt water marsh) and so was a lot of San Diego Bay.
vaporman

PostPosted: 6/6/2007, 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was also born in San Diego and have live there three times now & I was there for Memorial Day weekend. June gloom was well into effect and the waves were very puny, so we ended up snorkelying at La Jolla Coves, hitting Point Loma, driving the Silver Strand, and I hiked up Cowles Mountain over in La Mesa area. Fun times, but I'm also planning on going back in July to enjoy the warm & sunny beach weather, not that overcast cold stuff we got two weeks ago. Sad
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/6/2007, 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How could you afford to live there? Roommates, or you have family still there? In '86 when I returned there from Hawaii with a husband and three toddlers in tow we couldn't find any jobs above minimum wage and we couldn't find any place for rent for less than $850 a month, and those were studio apartments. We just couldn't break into the place. My husband, an experienced radio announcer, stood in line for four hours waiting to be interviewed with a bunch of other people, all of whom had broadcasting degrees or years of experience, at a cable TV station that had ONE OPENING PAYING MINIMUM WAGE. Plus, my husband has never liked So. Cal., (he's a N. Cal. type of person--you know there is that rivalry thing) and so, after a week of being beat up there we started off across the desert, visiting El Centro (blech!), Yuma, and finally ended up in Tucson, where we ran out of money, so we stayed--for 13 years! Rent was cheap there at the time, and entry level jobs easy to find. No regrets there, either. Arizona feels pretty much like home.
vaporman

PostPosted: 6/6/2007, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yea, its real expensive there, so I just visit these days. I was living with my parents when I lived there before and I still have grandparents & aunts/uncles there that I can crash with these days. Smile
threedogz

PostPosted: 6/6/2007, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would think that all places would be difficult to afford on minimum wage...
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/7/2007, 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

10's of thousands of adults in Arizona work for minimum wage. Good thing we voted to raise it. Those with dependents can get food stamps and AHCCCS, etc.
Suz

PostPosted: 6/10/2007, 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Perfect, perfect, perfect!
The weather in San Diego was awesome. Cloudy and overcast in the mornings until about 10am and pure sunshine in the afternoons! It sure is hard to leave beautiful San Diego and the beach!

We spent most our time on Mission Beach, shopping or strolling the Boardwalk. We stayed at the Beach Cottages and ate a few of our meals oceanside at The Green Flash....excellent place, I highly recommend it. Tried to hit Kono's but the line wrapped around the block and when I'm hungry I can't wait that long!

We did get to Old Town one evening for the Margaritas and homemade tortillas at The Old Town Mexican Cafe---another of my favorites.

We ran to Del Mar to a badminton supply store where I learned about the Yonex 9000 racket....geez, it was more expensive than a backpack. And who would have known you needed special shoes to play badminton??? We didn't really get out to hike.......maybe next time. Wink
IGO

PostPosted: 6/10/2007, 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Fine report.
No hiking this weekend. I have a tower crane exam Wednsday so study study study but I just got back in from a 100 miles lake shore motorcycle ride. That's a wonderful way to start a Sunday.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: