ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Any bird enthusiasts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 6/3/2007, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Any bird enthusiasts? Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was camping at Pioneer Pass in the Pinals this weekend and was kept awake most of last night by this one bird that started singing at dusk and then sang all night long. The same thing all night long. Laughing My first thought was it was a mockingbird because they are known night singers, but they usually sing a whole repertoire of notes, imitating other birds but not the same thing over and over again. These were definitely call notes sounding like Bee Breet accentuated on the second note. 2 notes sung over and over and over again. At first it was amusing but by 2 AM I was getting a little annoyed. He seemed to keep in our camping area but would go in a circle from tree to tree singing his little heart out.

My second thought is maybe some bird was confused by the full moon and thought it was dawn and time to sing. Maybe a bird in the poor-will family? I think they sing at night too.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/3/2007, 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Poor will very loud, two note song all night. Did it sound at all like the words "poor will?"

Could be something else, but poor will has my vote.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 6/3/2007, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It sounded like "Bee Breet". Now my hearing is the pits (I'm deaf in one ear) but it was loud enough to keep me awake last night. Didn't sound like "Poor Will". I know what a whipporwhill sounds like because we had them back east. But I know there are members of the poor wills out here and maybe their song is a little different. I couldn't find anything in my Audobon books either.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/3/2007, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, the poor will is out here in the west, has a two note song, very loud. The whipporwill has a three note song.

I'm not sure, though. We probably have someone on here who's better at this than I am!
beckett

PostPosted: 6/4/2007, 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You might try this sight.

http://www.naturesongs.com/birds.html

Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 6/4/2007, 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nesting mockingbird.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/4/2007, 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmmmm. That's a new one on me! Cool!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: