ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Nine days in heaven...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 5/23/2007, 4:08 pm    Post subject: Nine days in heaven... Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hank and Tracy and I had been talking about this trip for a few years now and due to changes in life were forced to put it off time and time again it seemed. Finally the day had come when we were going to go! The permit was in Hank's hand and the individuals included had been preparing for weeks. There had been weight to be lost and muscles to be toned and meals to be dehydrated and cardiacs to be cardiated! We got it all done and on May 12 the six of us, Hank, Stan, Tracy, Tom, Todd and I loaded up in our vehicles and headed to the canyon.....No I take that back Tom and Tracy headed up on the 11th of May to split the long drive in half.

Todd, Stan and I all rode up in Todd's truck. We had packed a pic nic lunch so as not to have to stop and deal with the fast food places along the way. The radio played, some times Christian music and some times "Outlaw Country". I got to listen to the guys "harmonize" which was probably the hight light of the trip for me! Lunch was at Navajo Bridge.

We reached the TH by 3:30 Saturday afternoon. We had hoped to be there by 2:00 and had indicated so to Tom and Tracy and Hank so when we hadn't shown up by 3:00 they headed down below the rim and started their days hike knowing we would eventually catch up. After we had been on the trail for a bit Todd looked down and announced that he saw Hank. I was surprised cause I didn't expect to catch up with any one so quickly.... If only that had been the case....

Poor Hank had been sick for a day and a half already and was still feeling puney. He tried to hike but eventually made the wise decision to head back out to the TH and forfeit his trip due to illness. Bummer! He did give Todd the permit and some nice rope which he had brought to aide us in our adventures in the Deer Creek Narrows! Todd was now the trip leader. Not a job I would ever want (and later you will find out why!) but he took it on with good spirits as he was the only other member of the party with any experience on the trails we would be traveling. When I say any experience can I just say that this was Todd's 6th trip into our little piece of heaven. He was a wonderful guide and fed us all kinds of little tid bits about our surroundings. We did miss Hanks geology lessons though....Hank you still haven't answered my question about the rock on the Esplanade with all the holes in it! (Please see my birthday photo album from our trip to cache water!). Soon we were off again and Hank was on his way up the trail to take his sick little self home.

Now the Bill Hall is not a bad hike down but after nine days in the Canyon it can certainly kick your butt on the way out.... but that is also for another time. Having gotten a late start we knew we would be pulling into camp after dark. About 3/4 of the way to the edge of the Esplanade we ran in to a hiker named Scott who was lounging on the side of the trail. He was incredibly apologetic about being "visual blight" on the trail. I tried to reassure him that it was OK with us.... as long as he was enjoying him self he was not in our way. We spent some time talking with Scott then continued on. We soon decided to get our head lamps out cause it would be dark soon and none of us were familiar enough with the terrain to try and hike it with out lamps.

When at last we walked into camp we found Tracy and Tom sitting at the edge of the Esplanade with forlorn looks on their faces. They showed us their shredded rat sack and empty water bottles with holes pecked in them by the ravens. The ravens had eaten all but a couple of packs of muscles packed in oil and spilled all the water! They had left a lovely little cache two weeks prior and had plans for a grand evening on the last night in the Canyon. That was not to be at this point. After much discussion of the situation we all settled into our sleeping bags and began searching the sky for a falling star so all could go to sleep. That is the rule you know. When you are sleeping under the stars some one must see a falling star before any one is allowed to go to sleep. Now that you all know about the rule I expect it to be followed at all times!

Day is done. Gone the sun.

OK, I started the report. All who were present can add to day one and some one else can start day two!

I want to shine!
evenstar

PostPosted: 5/23/2007, 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice report Diane; looking forward to reading about the rest of the adventure; especially how Stan got those horrible blisters! Sad

Ravens are a real pest at Trailer Village; if you leave your RV's sewer house out, they peck large holes in it. Something they just learned within the past three years 'cause my first half dozen or more stays at Trailer Village they were no problem. Big signs now in the office warning people.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Suz

PostPosted: 5/23/2007, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So let me get this straight.........pecked holes in the 40 pounds of water that Todd lugged in and the RAT sack was shredded.....oh my heck--mega bummer!....now I'm worried about my water stash.

Let me ask........what sort of container was your water in?
We used a thick walled orange juice type container.

Did you dangle over and cliff when you planted it and and did you cover it with a rock wall?

Oh please pray that our water hasn't suffered the same fate. Crying or Very sad
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 5/23/2007, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heh heh, funny you should mention a thick-walled orange juice container. One of those, and my 6 liter Dromlite got pecked. BUT, it was more than likely due to being so close to the Rat Sack. Yes, the food stash got torn apart. I couldn't believe my eyes. There was only two of three packs of smoked mussels left. Guess the F'ing Rat Birds didn't like seafood. They left my .5 liter Nalgene of Captain Morgan alone thank gawd...

Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/23/2007, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That really sucks, this is the first I've heard of a ratsack failure. Heck I would right and ask for a new one.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 5/23/2007, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I tried. Mailbox was too full. I'll just buy another one. Never again will I stash food in a Rat Sack in the canyon. It was probably the same Rat Bird that was clucking like a chiken at me, then flew off when I went to go grab a rock.

Oh, wait, we're hijacking Diane's trip report thread. Sorry Diane. Shades
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 5/23/2007, 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

From the pictures, you were in a very good place. Too bad about the cache.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 5/23/2007, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Nice report Diane...Ravens are a real pest at Trailer Village; if you leave your RV's sewer house out, the peck large holes in it. Something they just learned within the past three years...
Yes, looking forward to the next installment! Ravens, magpies, and blackbirds are the most widely dispersed avians. They are everywhere people go (maybe not Antartica...), and you'd better believe they study primates. They seem to have a sense of humor (or try to be pr**ks) by pulling wiper inserts out of windshield wipers, evidently, just for the h*ll of it!

See "In the Company of Crows and Ravens", by Larry Marschall, and "Just How Smart Are Ravens", by Heinrich and Bugnyar: April 2007 Scientific American. I've been collecting Raven stories for a few years, and I'd really like to hear anybody's experiences via Pmail. Thanks, y'alls.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 5/23/2007, 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I believe that thick-walled orange juice container had 4 holes in it...or was it 5? And some nice scratch marks to go along with each puncture! Todd tried later to use a sharp rock and simulate a rat bird peck, but couldn't make a mark on the container! Shocked

We didnt' dangle over a cliff, but the stash was tucked well beneath a jutting rock and had rocks piled in front and on top of the cache. But like Tom said, I think the food stash being so close is what drew them in. Heck, after eating the olives, mussels, crackers, jambalaya, sausage, red beans and rice, and Hank's spaghetti I'm sure they were darn thirsty!! Rolling Eyes

I think Stan needs to write day 2...those blisters are his story to tell! Wink

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Suz

PostPosted: 5/23/2007, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
I believe that thick-walled orange juice container had 4 holes in it...or was it 5? And some nice scratch marks to go along with each puncture!

oh this is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry bad news Crying or Very sad I wonder if maybe the orange juice smell drew the varmits near? Maybe we rinsed more and it won't smell?????????

I've heard that the food must be burried in the canyon but who knows if that would even work.
IGO

PostPosted: 5/23/2007, 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In 1992 I made a cache with a 5 gallon plastic paint can. The smallest rock I covered it with was at least as big as a grapfruit. My stash was ok two weeks later. I really hate it they got yours. I'm sure the story doesn't end here.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
paintninaz

PostPosted: 5/23/2007, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
oh this is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry bad news Crying or Very sad I wonder if maybe the orange juice smell drew the varmits near? Maybe we rinsed more and it won't smell?????????

it was Hank's orange juice container...you'd have to ask him how well he rinsed it. dunno

I'd be more inclined to think it was his spaghetti that drew them near rather than the residual OJ! Wink

On a positive note...all of Todd's water stash was just fine (it was in a separate location) and we saw various water stashes, many just under trees not buried or anything, all along the route up from the Esplanade that were untouched...so I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the food we had stashed in the ratsack in the same vicinity.

Your water stashes are probably fine...but I wouldn't bet my life on them, carry a bit extra, if you can! Ok

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Suz

PostPosted: 5/23/2007, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

okay......thanks........got bigger water issues right now........we should get this thread back on track. I'm waiting to hear the story about Stan's feet....what is all that yellow stuff(yuck! electrolyte clog?)....it almost looks like melted jelly beans.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HIG wrote:
Oh, wait, we're hijacking Diane's trip report thread. Sorry Diane. Shades

Nope, dont worry about it! This is exactly what I wanted to happen! I want every one to add to the report so we can get every ones perspective!

I want to shine!
IGO

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh. That cache had no water in it. It was food, cloths and film.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: