ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mt. Wrightson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azhiker96

PostPosted: 9/16/2003, 1:03 pm    Post subject: Mt. Wrightson Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mt. Wrightson has never disappointed me. Sunday was no exception to the rule. First, here are some pointers if you are going to do this hike. They are working on the highway down in Tucson. The exit for I-19 comes up quickly and without good signage. I did this hike the last two weekends and nearly missed the turnoff both times. Otherwise, remember that the hike starts in Madera Canyon. The exit from I-19 is well signed for Madera Canyon. Just follow the signs. There is a $5 fee to park in the canyon so be prepared. Another thing, the two parking lots at the trailhead are closed. We managed to squeeze into the closest lot which was still about 1/2 mile below the trailheads. That's fine though because it let me have a new experience which I'll explain later.

I hiked with two of my wife's friends, Kim and Brenda. Kim is training for a hike into Havasu in 3 weeks. Brenda just loves hiking and had never been to Madera Canyon before. Once we'd paid and parked, there were ribbons marking an alternate trail which roughly follows the creek up to the trailheads. Yes, I said creek...with water! It was great to hike along this temporary goat path while the waterfalls and ripples in the creek serrenaded us.

Once we got to the old road, we took the Old Baldy trail up to Josephine saddle. That is the steeper but shorter route. It's also almost entirely shaded by trees. Along the way we saw numerous flowers, butterflies, lizards, and a healthy blacktail rattlesnake.

The snake had just crossed the trail and was heading uphill. I stepped closer to take some photos. He gave a couple of short buzzes, just to let me know that he didn't want to be my lunch. Otherwise, he was very well behaved. We took a few photos and then watched him work his way up the mountain.

We made one stop on this trail and then a longer stop at Josephine saddle to refuel and let the legs recharge. Then we headed down the Super trail. This trail is about a mile longer than the Old Baldy trail. However, it's not as steep. After .2 of a mile we passed Sprung Spring. The water was flowing nicely and was cold. We all still had plenty of water and no filter so I left tasting it for a future trip.

The trial continued down with a few cactus added to the mix of Ponderosa pine, Arizona White Oak, Manzanita, and grasses. The Super trail is not heavily travelled so the grasses and bushes tend to brush your legs as you pass. It's generally shaded but does have a few open spots where you can enjoy a view of the mountain and valley.

The temperatures were great, staying in the 70s for most of the hike. As we finished the hike, Brenda and I stopped at the Chuparosa Inn to check on the accomodations and pricing. Kim continued on down to the car. As Brenda and I walked the road down to the car, she spotted a bear.

It was a single black bear, about the size of a healthy rotweiler (spelling?). It was moving from the creek towards the road so I moved forward and got my camera ready to catch him crossing the road. As I waited, I saw him working his way up the brush towards me. When he was about 100 feet away I got a clear shot and snapped his picture. The flash got his attention and he started to move towards me to check me out. That's when I put some anger in my voice and loudly told him "NO, NO!" He beat feet to the creek and we had a clear path to continue on home. That's the first bear I've seen in the wild. What a glorious day!http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/azhiker96/vwp?.dir=/Mt.+Wrightson&.dnm=littlesnake+tongue.jpg&.src=ph&.done
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/azhiker96/vwp?.dir=/Mt.+Wrightson&.dnm=littlebear.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 9/16/2003, 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a great hike and awesome pic's of both a bear and a rattler Spinning
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/16/2003, 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like you had a great hike ... I love this hike. Hoping to hit up Bog Springs next weekend if things pan out as I am hoping!

BTW your link of the bear photo seems to have a problem. Can you pl. repost the link Question I'd love to see your bear encounter
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 9/16/2003, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Try this one...

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/azhiker96/vwp?.dir=/Mt.+Wrightson&.dnm=littlebear.jpg

Nice pic collection azhiker96!!

I'm especially interested in the Ridgeline. Any more?
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 9/16/2003, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:

I'm especially interested in the Ridgeline. Any more?

I'm interested in the Ridgeline... Definitely a cold weather hike!
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 9/16/2003, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great report George and nic pics. I would like to see that rattler one, full resolution.

I'm always up for the Ridgeline,( one of my favorties and most hiked) will probably do it several times this season including some alternate routes in which I will probably solo due to the uncertainity
azhiker96

PostPosted: 9/18/2003, 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As you guys can tell, I had some problems trying to post the picture links. I'll have to see if GTG can tutor me. Smile
I'm up to my ears in preparation for Havasupai Oct 10-12. After that, the weather and I should both be ready for some more extreme adventures. Smile
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 9/20/2003, 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96... I had a few questions and sent you a PM. Thanks
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/21/2003, 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
I'm up to my ears in preparation for Havasupai Oct 10-12. After that, the weather and I should both be ready for some more extreme adventures. Smile

Are you planning any hiles down to Beaver Falls or up Beaver Canyon ?

Can you please do me a favor and see if the reservation office if they will allow you to hike down Beaver Canyon and up to Mooney ? I was scoping out more trails and sawthat route marked on the Grandcanyon Map by National Geo
azhiker96

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Desertgirl,
We are hiking in on Friday. I plan to setup camp and get oriented to my surroundings. On Saturday I will hike down to the Colorado, visiting the falls along the way. I will be glad to check on Beaver Canyon and will let you know what they say.
Very Happy
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 9/24/2003, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

See links below regarding construction which has moved Mt Wrightson parking area.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coronado/news/2003/090903_roundup_update.pdf

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coronado/news/2003/RoundupClosureMap.pdf

Looks like they got lots of rain today & yesterday... Anyone been up there?
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 9/24/2003, 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

here's another link about the construction too.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coronado/news/2003/090403_Roundup_renovation_starts.pdf
azhiker96

PostPosted: 9/25/2003, 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

FYI, They are serious about the parking. Last weekend I saw two cars who had gone past the last parking area and parked off the road. Each one had two tickets. One for parking in a no-parking area and one for failing to purchase the $5 use permit. BTW, if you have a Golden Eagle parks pass it will be accepted which will save you $5.
Have fun!
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 9/25/2003, 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
FYI, They are serious about the parking. Last weekend I saw two cars who had gone past the last parking area and parked off the road. Each one had two tickets. One for parking in a no-parking area and one for failing to purchase the $5 use permit. BTW, if you have a Golden Eagle parks pass it will be accepted which will save you $5.
Have fun!

AZHIKER96 - you do this one alot... You hiking it again this weekend?

I'm planning for Sat. Anyone else interested?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: