ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Off trail ramblings on the Rim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 9/14/2003, 8:23 pm    Post subject: Off trail ramblings on the Rim Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, it has been a long time since I’ve posted a trip report. Not that I haven’t been hiking, but because of the type of hiking I’ve been doing. Basically indiscriminate off trail rambling on the Rim in which I could never repeat the hike, let alone explain where I went so someone else could follow. I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed my off trail escapades this summer. This weekends hike was exceptional so I thought I would write a bit about it.

I exited State Route 87 onto the Rim Road (Forest Service Road 300) Friday afternoon around 3:00 PM. The sky was a dazzling blue totally void of any clouds. I rolled down my windows and could immediately smell the scent of pine in the air. Everything was so fresh and green from the recent heavy rains. It looked more like spring time than the end of summer. There was still water running down the ditch line in places from rain earlier in the week. Low lying retention areas were full to the brim with water and the ground was nothing less than soaked. Small creeks were flowing.

Friday evening I was treated to a dazzling display of stars followed by the dramatic rising of the near full moon, which appeared through the stand of pines I was camped in. It slowly worked it’s way into the sky past the horizon until it was towering above the magnificent pines and casting it’s light on the surrounding forest. Very Happy

Around 2:00 AM, I was pleasantly awakened by the serenade of elk bugling. Unfortunately this ruckus also awakened my girl friend and got her all excited and she wouldn’t rest until I took her out to investigate and take a tinkle. Embarassed I would post a picture of her if I had access to the gallery, I know Hoolie would understand my attraction and be impressed by how I spoil the woman in my life. Yes

Saturday morning I departed on my rambling in the area of Kehl Spring. I started off following a nameless canyon before ascending to the top of a ridgeline and following it through the tall pines. For some strange reason I started coming upon a very unusual number of horned lizards, several of them were no more than and inch or two long. I assume they must birth in late summer like rattlesnakes.

The next thing of interest I came across was some sort of weird geologic anomaly in the pines, I stumbled upon an area that was probably about 30 foot by 12 foot that had a large number of petrified clams sticking through the surface of the ground. They weren’t fossils imbedded in rock they were clams that had turned to rock.. This is one of the most unusual findings I have come across.

I continued on from there to a point to where the ridgeline began to descend into a deep well defined canyon. I descended a distance then followed the canyon by traversing through the pines along the hillside, following a fairly level contour. This was a good choice as it led me to my final unusual find of the day.

This was something I have heard about but never witnessed myself. I came upon a young pine that was literally covered with ladybugs that were homing. I have heard stories of hundreds of thousands of ladybugs that totally covered a fire tower on the rim. I can’t remember the name of the tower, but I know a guy that saw it. What I saw was just a small pine but very impressive to me.

Let it be noted that when I go on these ramblings I print off a topo of the area I’m going to be hiking in and I take a GPS coordinate at my vehicle so I can find my way back should I become disoriented. Yeah I know, some of you that know me are thinking I’m permanently disoriented. Crazy

Didn’t hike today, just sat in the pines for R&R.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 9/14/2003, 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was just below the rim last west in the same area, I am leaving Tuesday for another vist but farther east. Where you up on the rim last wednesday. Very large thunderhead backlite by the full moon.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 9/14/2003, 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No, but from the looks of things the rain really let loose up their earlier in the week, did you get caught in it?
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 9/15/2003, 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No which is a good thing. I had my jeep painted last month and I have yet to replace the soft top.

PostPosted: 9/16/2003, 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kent, Your trip logs are so detailed. I fully enjoy reading them. It's like sinking into a good book and escaping from reality. They are always appreciated by me.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/16/2003, 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have to second Cindy's remarks... I truely love reading about your trips. Thank you! I wanted to tell you that we saw the lady bug thing yesterday on the Grooms Creek Loop up by Prescott as well! I couldn't believe how many lady bugs were in one area!!!! Covering rocks and trees it was unbelievable! I got pictures but I am having trouble with my computer so can't post at this time... must tweek before posting and my tweeker is messed up! Looking forward to hiking with you this weekend!

I want to shine!
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 9/16/2003, 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks, Cindy and Diane.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: