ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
3 Days In The Sierra Trip Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
YH
Hooli Wants to be just like me!

PostPosted: 5/7/2007, 7:38 pm    Post subject: 3 Days In The Sierra Trip Report Reply to topic Reply with quote

For those of you who when reading “Trip Reports” think “jeez man, just cut to the chase!”, I'll post some pictures when I get access and figure out how. In my case a photo really is worth a thousand words!

After finishing breakfast in sunny Sequoia Nat. Park we headed to the trailhead. By the time the 30 miles had passed under our wheels, the blue sky had passed away as well. No worry! Forecast said bright sun… and the weatherman is always right, right?

The climb through the forest was cool but refreshing. Snow patches were in abundance and as we made our way higher they began to dominate the landscape. I knew, however, Sierra sunshine was on its way any moment…the weatherman said so.

We climbed the last set of switchbacks in anticipation of our first view out across the Great Western Divide…higher we went…lower the clouds descended… “Pay no attention to that sleet!” I said, in case discouragement start to take hold. “Besides, the weatherman said”… “Shut Up Mark!” I guess the view of NOTHING (unless clouds engulfing us is something) began to take its toll. We had no view from the gap…it was very cold and sleet was falling. Even still there was a mysterious beauty for those who took the time to view it. Rime had formed on many of the trees and bushes. A thick white coating that Christmas tree flockers try to imitate. It was very beautiful. It would also form on the underside of the limbs as opposed to snow which coats only the top exposed portions.

Onward we went into deep hard packed snow hoping to remain on trail. I knew we were directionally correct and before long the trail came out again.

We were soon into our meadow setting camp. I predicted by 5:00 we would be basking in the warmth of Sierra sunshine!…they built a fire anyway. (I’m glad they did!) 5:00 came and aha!...boy was it cold in the fog. By the time the sun set we saw the tips of the mountains rising above the clouds…”See gentlemen! I told you there were mountains here…Big Mountains!” I went to bed feeling vindicated.

I woke up with my water bottle frozen inside the tent with me. A wee bit chilly last night. No matter, because I did not need to unzip my tent to know Sierra sunshine had arrived! Warmth filled our camp in the time it took to eat breakfast. Today we were climbing up Alta Peak. Not a high mountain at 11,200, but the views are stunning. We would have to climb up a draw because the trail was buried. We should be able to intersect the trail higher up in the exposed areas. Up we went trough forest, over granite slabs, up vast snowfields, up over boulders and finally to the top. Sweeping vistas of the Sierra is our reward. It was a reward indeed, well worth the effort. We signed the register, enjoyed some snacks and then back down. Matt decided we were not walking all the way down that snowfied. Out comes a plastic bag quickly cut into three pieces and whoosh! It was a rocket ride all the way down and all of us were hooting and laughing so hard…what a blast. These guys are so much fun!

Back in camp was some sun soaking and a quick nap. After dinner and great conversation around the fire we headed for bed. It had been a great day in the Sierra sunshine. I thought about tapping on their tent to remind them of that, but I soon thought the better of it.

Day three was just packing up and hiking out. Its always hard for me to leave these mountains I love. I took several pauses to look back and soak in the views, but my feet continued to carry me farther away. But that’s ok…there’s lots more were that came from and the season is just beginning! Yahoo!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/7/2007, 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Somebody get this guy access to post some photo's Smile

Sounded like a fun trip, I can't wait to get there this year, just got my High Country Map for the High Sierra Trail!

-TIM-
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/8/2007, 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds great! Did you have the whole place to yourselves?

Hope you can get those photos up, soon!
YH

PostPosted: 5/8/2007, 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
Sounds great! Did you have the whole place to yourselves?

Hope you can get those photos up, soon!

We did have it all to ourselves! (and a few marmots and a bear who left his tracks.)
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/8/2007, 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Found Alta Peak on my map last night, what trail did you start our on and which meadow did you camp at? Can't wait to see the pictures, doesn't seem that far off from where I'll be starting the HST at Crescent Meadow.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 5/8/2007, 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a great trip. Done plenty of hiking with no views here in Colorado.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
YH

PostPosted: 5/8/2007, 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Found Alta Peak on my map last night, what trail did you start our on and which meadow did you camp at? Can't wait to see the pictures, doesn't seem that far off from where I'll be starting the HST at Crescent Meadow.

We stayed at Alta Meadow, a picture perfect place at the base of the Great Western Divide. We passed the connecter trail to the High Sierra Trail just past Panther Gap. (My friend is hiking that trail this year also)
The HST goes through the GWD...very rugged and majestic!

We didn't take a trail up to Alta Peak because of snow. We just headed up a draw that empties into the meadow. Because we missed hooking up to the trail farther up, we ended on the wrong peak (hard to tell when you go over a couple of ridges) so we ended up traversing along a ridge and up some pretty steep stuff to get over to Alta. Had it not been for a stong hand from my friend at a couple of places I probably would not have done that. I have a fear of hights and get uncomfortable with air on my backside! Eek Now I'm glad we went that way...much more exciting! Everytime I face that fear it gets easier...kind of.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 5/8/2007, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a really great trip! The sunshine feels so good doesn't it!? I checked and there are no pictures in the gallery.... hummmm....wonder where they could be? A little bit of fear is not a bad thing.... keeps the respect for your environment in the proper place....

I want to shine!
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 5/10/2007, 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey! There are pictures up! Looks so cold YH! You are gonna have to do something about that before I can hike there! Beautiful though!

It looks like your album is empty from the outside my friend....you need to get a highlight picture chosen so people know there are photos in there...and it wouldn't hurt to tell people on the thread that they are up either...

Looks like a good time was had by all! Thanks for sharing!

I want to shine!
YH

PostPosted: 5/10/2007, 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I put some more up, but I can't get one on the "Album"...when do the posting photos classes begin?

It does look cold doesn't it! Did I ever tell you about the Sierra trade winds that blow in May? Very much like Maui...not sure what that white stuff was. I think the forest service puts it there to make it look cool!
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 5/10/2007, 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah I think you told me about those winds last year! I am looking for ward to experiencing them for my self! Gonna run over and look at the new ones!

I want to shine!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/10/2007, 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Note to Self "Make Plans for a Sierra trip next May" and June and Julyand August and September
beckett

PostPosted: 5/10/2007, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One word....WOW!
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: